SAU Community

Gibson Gt-r

G'day :/

Hoping someone can help me with some information (pics would be great as well if available).

Does anyone know what type of engine fan/s the Gibson Motorsport Winfield R32 ran? Was it the normal viscous type, or was it swapped out for thermo's?

I also need to know about the brakes, I know at this point they weren't cross drilled, but were they slotted?

I would love any pics of the brakes and suspension (especially with a wheel removed, and also looking in the engine bay forward (to see the fans).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

No fans that I ever saw.

AP 6 spot callipers front and 4 spot rear.

Different style and thickness AP rotors were used. I am sure I saw crossed drilled rotors at sprint events, from memory the endurance rotors were always slotted. As well as thicker rotors for the endurance events, they also ran thicker pads for longer wear.

For suspension and engine bay pictures follow my link on page 1 of this thread.

Cheers

Gary

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The Ricoh GTS-R is apparently undergoing restoration in Japan also.

Apologies for reviving this thread with a long-shot 'Wanted' request.......

The RICOH-sponsored works Gr.A GTS-R is currently undergoing restoration in Japan, and I'm searching for an 80mm VDO boost gauge ( 2 Bar reading ) for it.

If anyone had any leads, I'd be very pleased to hear from them. Cheers!

Here's a pic for your trouble. This was what was revealed under the 'Stock Car' series overfenders that the car was wearing when acquired:

ricohgrarearquarter11.jpg

Apologies for reviving this thread with a long-shot 'Wanted' request.......

The RICOH-sponsored works Gr.A GTS-R is currently undergoing restoration in Japan, and I'm searching for an 80mm VDO boost gauge ( 2 Bar reading ) for it.

If anyone had any leads, I'd be very pleased to hear from them. Cheers!

Here's a pic for your trouble. This was what was revealed under the 'Stock Car' series overfenders that the car was wearing when acquired:

ricohgrarearquarter11.jpg

Awesome.....is it coming to OZ? If I find one can I get more pics? :bunny: ...I gather you the era gauge? I can ask around for you....will let you know tomorrow...unless someone finds one for you in the meantime.

Awesome.....is it coming to OZ? If I find one can I get more pics? :bunny: ...I gather you the era gauge? I can ask around for you....will let you know tomorrow...unless someone finds one for you in the meantime.

I'm afraid it's not coming to OZ ( unless you pay for it to visit! ) as it's going to stay in enthusiastic Japanese hands. It will be a while before it's finished anyway.

The VDO boost gauge seems to be quite difficult to find in this size. 52mm versions seem to be no problem, but I've struggled to locate the bigger version. I have an old NISMO number for it from the NISMO Gr.A kit list for the HR31 ( 24870 RR570 ) but even in Japan it's difficult to find them. I don't even know the corresponding VDO part number.........

Thanks for the offer of help. Here are some more pics that might be of interest. Some of you may have seen a few of them before elsewhere:

post-14199-1244121023_thumb.jpg

post-14199-1244121075_thumb.jpg

post-14199-1244121102_thumb.jpg

post-14199-1244121144_thumb.jpg

post-14199-1244121170_thumb.jpg

Yes, it passed from NISMO to ENDLESS's ownership after NISMO had stopped using it. At some point after that ( my guess around 1990 ) it started getting more and more modified, and ended up racing in the 'Grand National Stock Car' series with the cut out rear arches and box-type overfenders. Its final active race season was in 1998, in the ENDLESS blue paintjob with CASHIEW as the partner sponsor.

It got cut about a little bit in its ex-Works life, but most of it is still there and saveable. The guy restoring it knows what he's doing, as he's an ex-NISMO race mechanic.

The original type VDO boost gauge is one of those parts that seem like they should be easy to find, but turn out to be quite elusive.....

What is that nice looking engine out of, the one on the stand in front of the "endless" photo?

It's a Nissan VRH35 ( 3496cc V8 DOHC twin turbo ) as fitted to the Nissan R89C Group C sports cars. This particular one was cut up and used as a 'display' engine after its race career ended.

post-14199-1244190649_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid it's not coming to OZ ( unless you pay for it to visit! ) as it's going to stay in enthusiastic Japanese hands. It will be a while before it's finished anyway.

The VDO boost gauge seems to be quite difficult to find in this size. 52mm versions seem to be no problem, but I've struggled to locate the bigger version. I have an old NISMO number for it from the NISMO Gr.A kit list for the HR31 ( 24870 RR570 ) but even in Japan it's difficult to find them. I don't even know the corresponding VDO part number.........

Ok....from what I can find out these were no manufactured for the GSM cars, the were modified.... basically you need to get a 52mm boost gauge and a 80mm rev then take it to a gauge maker and get him to exchange the inners over and make a new backing plate and needle.

below is a pic of one of the GMS cars(now Sizzler) cockpits

post-37023-1244192047_thumb.jpg

Ok....from what I can find out these were no manufactured for the GSM cars, the were modified.... basically you need to get a 52mm boost gauge and a 80mm rev then take it to a gauge maker and get him to exchange the inners over and make a new backing plate and needle.

below is a pic of one of the GMS cars(now Sizzler) cockpits

Jetwreck,

Thanks for looking into this. Much appreciated.

The original in the RICOH car was actually a type manufactured by VDO and sold by NISMO ( hence the NISMO 'RR' number in the kit list ) so it wasn't strictly a 'one-off' or a custom build just for the NISMO built cars.

It was just a very plain black faced design with white numerals and a red needle, and I believe it had a hand-settable second needle too. I had a picture of the exact thing somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it now......

I'll just have to keep looking. Cheers.

Alan T.

It's a Nissan VRH35 ( 3496cc V8 DOHC twin turbo ) as fitted to the Nissan R89C Group C sports cars. This particular one was cut up and used as a 'display' engine after its race career ended.

post-14199-1244190649_thumb.jpg

Nice motor. Any more details on it?