SAU Community

Coilovers

i'm looking to buy some coilovers with 12kg front and 10kg rear spring rates, has anyone here had experience with these as im interested in how stiff they would be, the coilovers also have 32 damper adjustments, so say the spring rates are too stiff, could you soften them up by using the damper adjustments, thanks in advance, the car would be mainly for street use by the way

Those spring rates are chiropractor stiff :happy: As in you'll need one if u do get them ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've just installed some

tein circuit master type RA into my r33 with 10kg front and rear spring rate (racing springs as tein call them), i have yet to drive the car yet (due to not having a gearbox) but once i do, i will let you know what the ride is like.

i had previously had d2 coilovers which had a huge spring-rate and i found it drivable in street-condition abit bumpy and i got uses to it

Had RA's in the R32 and they were awesome, good damper control over the rates.

:wave: D2's......... shudder

Ive been running Tein Super Drifts for a few months, 7kg springs front and rear, in my opinion they are perfect for street (even on the crap N.Z roads) ,i have yet to try them out on the track, hopefully they wont be to soft!

A touch of realism anyone?

The standard spring rates are around 3 kg/mm. Do you really think that Nissan got it 400% wrong? I don't think so.

Those sorts of spring rates (10/10 or 12/10) are more than what we run in a V8Supercar, on slicks on the best track surfaces in the country. A road tyre is simply not designed to handle that sort of spring rate. Even an R type tyre doesn't like much over 7kg/mm.

To control those sorts of spring rates, the shock absorbers have to have BIG rebound (extension) valving, if they don't, the spring will simply oscillate after every bump, making the next bump even bigger. But it is actually even worse than that, the huge rebound valving stops the wheel dropping back down again after it has absorbed the last bump, so the tyre sits above the road surface, for some time.

If you truly think that you car handles well on those sorts of spring rates, then you are sadly mistaken. You will find out, when it is wet and it won't stop, when the road has slight ripples and it won't accelerate, when there is a bump mid corner and it won't hold the line. Or you will go to a track day and a guy with standard springs will kick your ass. Or you will go to the drags and a stock standard car will beat you by 20 feet to the 60 foot line. Or you will try and drag off a taxi and he will walk away while you wheelspin across the intersection.

Oh wait, there is more. Since the chassis wasn't designed for those sorts of springs rate you will soon find rattles appearing from all over the place, the electronics will have intermittent problems, the CD player might even skip a few tracks, cracks will start to appear around the spring mounts, globes will blow more regularly, suspension bushes will wear out at an alarming rate and you may even find some new cracks in the windscreen.

But hey, what would I know?

Cheers

Gary

If you truly think that you car handles well on those sorts of spring rates, then you are sadly mistaken. You will find out, when it is wet and it won't stop, when the road has slight ripples and it won't accelerate, when there is a bump mid corner and it won't hold the line. Or you will go to a track day and a guy with standard springs will kick your ass. Or you will go to the drags and a stock standard car will beat you by 20 feet to the 60 foot line. Or you will try and drag off a taxi and he will walk away while you wheelspin across the intersection.

Oh wait, there is more. Since the chassis wasn't designed for those sorts of springs rate you will soon find rattles appearing from all over the place, the electronics will have intermittent problems, the CD player might even skip a few tracks, cracks will start to appear around the spring mounts, globes will blow more regularly, suspension bushes will wear out at an alarming rate and you may even find some new cracks in the windscreen.

But hey, what would I know?

Cheers

Gary

he is right alot of this stuff has happened to my car.

lol,

not saying what you are saying isn't true sydneykid, but why do most of the japanses timeattack cars running street-tires or semi-slick run big springs rates 10/10 or even more than that?

i havn't experience any of those things you have mention with my tein, maybe its because they have good rebound and damper control? im not sure all i know is that my car is handling alot better compare to my old setup.

Edited by [Michael]

not saying what you are saying isn't true sydneykid,.

so you agree then?

i guess i better get some wikkid strong coil overs to do hectic times in the "time attack uleh"

but why do people not look at the group buys SK has organised and notice the hundreds (? its alot) of ppl who have bought the bilstein stuff and recommend. it to any one they talk to? too many fast and furious street racers in here.

so you agree then?

i guess i better get some wikkid strong coil overs to do hectic times in the "time attack uleh"

but why do people not look at the group buys SK has organised and notice the hundreds (? its alot) of ppl who have bought the bilstein stuff and recommend. it to any one they talk to? too many fast and furious street racers in here.

excuses me...?

can i adjust the rebound and damper on the SK groupbuy Suspension gear? last time i check no. My car is being used prodomently for circuit work. So i've gone for a setup which has been proven to work in skyline which are used on the circuit.

Just because everyone does one thing doesn't make it right or the correct method.... Suspension setup depends on alot of factors like the weight of the car in question, other suspension compounds, the alignment setup etc etc. Just because it works for one person or hundreds of people doesn't mean it will work for me or be the best setup available

Also my comment on the time attack cars was just to point out that it is working for them, and im sure if dropping down to a 7kg spring rate would help to improve their times by even 0.1 of an second they would do it.

ALSO last time i check this thread wasn't asking about SK groupbuy or what a good suspension setup was, but if the selected spring rate would be too stiff for "scarface", and if the damper adjustment would make a difference.

so how about you keep your comments to yourself, as i dont see it contributing anything to the topic

Edited by [Michael]

this thread wasn't asking about SK groupbuy or what a good suspension setup was, but if the selected spring rate would be too stiff for "scarface", and if the damper adjustment would make a difference.

so how about you keep your comments to yourself, as i dont see it contributing anything to the topic

Sounds like someone hit a nerve, I think its perfectly valid to talk about it.

can i adjust the rebound and damper on the SK groupbuy Suspension gear? last time i check no. My car is being used prodomently for circuit work. So i've gone for a setup which has been proven to work in skyline which are used on the circuit.

so adjusting the damper rate changes the spring rate? whats the point then? to mask an innefective spring rate? or to make it comfy for the chix? i dont get why you need adjusting. adjusting comes in coilovers because they use one generic body for all their spring rates on their different cars. or does turning a small nob excite you?

Just because everyone does one thing doesn't make it right or the correct method.... Suspension setup depends on alot of factors like the weight of the car in question, other suspension compounds, the alignment setup etc etc. Just because it works for one person or hundreds of people doesn't mean it will work for me or be the best setup available

lol look above - you said youve chosen to use what has been proven to work - now your saying your choosing to IGNORE what has been proven to work aswell - on the track AND the street.

dude this is the interwebs - since when does every topic in forums stay on topic? and who cares since im actually saying something that all the newbs on the forum who post up 1million times a day "is this coilover hecitc uleh?" might actually find of use. but if not meh

"lol look above - you said youve chosen to use what has been proven to work - now your saying your choosing to IGNORE what has been proven to work aswell - on the track AND the street."

ok i guess you didn't understand what i was trying to explain, most likely my fault. i did not ignore the SK groupbuy, i look at it and for the price and what it could do compare to the price of the tein type RA and what they could do.

i weight up the pro and con of many setups before i went and bought the type ra. so i did not ignore anything...

and to your comment about the damper and rebound adjustment, last time i checked many forms of motorsport used controllable damper and rebound in their suspension, so im guess their is a point to having it?

last time i check bilstein and ohlin, have damper and rebound adjustment suspension... have alook here this is suspension used in motorsport http://www.ohlins.com/Automotive/Products/...91/Default.aspx

i understand what you are tring to point out but some of your arguments are flawed

edit: i found a good link, give it a read it will explain about damper adjustment http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?pa...faqshocks01.htm

Edited by [Michael]

but those examples are for people who actually know what their doing - have chosen a proper spring rate and are using dampers with a proper adjusitng mechanism to FINE tune their suspenion,

not noobs who buy a coilover with sic 15kgmm springs and say "o its too stiff" and wind it down to softest damper setting. - when they should have bought a lesser spring rate in the beginning.

but those examples are for people who actually know what their doing - have chosen a proper spring rate and are using dampers with a proper adjusitng mechanism to FINE tune their suspenion,

not noobs who buy a coilover with sic 15kgmm springs and say "o its too stiff" and wind it down to softest damper setting. - when they should have bought a lesser spring rate in the beginning.

i do agree with you

"not noobs who buy a coilover with sic 15kgmm springs and say "o its too stiff" and wind it down to softest damper setting. - when they should have bought a lesser spring rate in the beginning."

but not in those exact words :dry:

so in the end looks like we both think the same thing :D as i dont fall into the bracket of a noob going my coilovers are too stiff, as i am over the moon about how well my tein are :D the only reason why they are set of the softest setting is because i have yet to fine tune them, as i jsut got my car back onto the road :(

....but why do most of the japanses timeattack cars running street-tires or semi-slick run big springs rates 10/10 or even more than that?

i havn't experience any of those things you have mention with my tein, maybe its because they have good rebound and damper control? im not sure all i know is that my car is handling alot better compare to my old setup.

scarface was asking if 10/10 was too stiff for the street <STREET> ... not some perfect track in Japan. Jap time attack cars are made for one sole purpose, when was the last time you saw the Mine's R34/HKS Evo etc. on a street? (hypothetically).

You are ignoring what Gary and Beersandwich are saying.

You might not think they (TEIN) are too stiff...but compared to what? What was your old set up?

I've personally seen how good Gary's bilstein/whiteline combo is and how smooth it looks on the street and at Wakefield. I've also experienced TEIN Super drifts, 7/7 with adjustable rebound...and I would pick SK's group buy over it without a doubt.

No matter how much adjusting we did to it (R33) couldn't put the power down when the road was bumpy, and over series of bumps the tires don't even make contact with the surface anymore. Of course they're better than the 100,000km old shocks/springs that were in it before...

I say compare your setup to someone in the WA who has installed SK's suspension package. If you think having good suspension is as easy as fiddling around with a little nob you are sadly mistaken...the fact of the matter is TEIN's are not suited for street use, and why would you want a ONE TRICK PONY. <that probably does not directly relate to you because you stated your car is a circuit car but please do not recommend it for street use>

James

my tein aren't too stiff...

if your in perth, i will be more than happy to take you for a drive to show you. my Tein's are suitable for street use, i have been driving my car on the street for the pass week, so i can run-in afew things, and i don't find anything wrong with my ride.

i never said anything about fiddling around with nobs make my suspension good, i merely mention that when looking for a suspension i wanted the option to control the damper and rebound of my shock, so i can adjust the coilvoers to suit my other suspension compounds and the track im racing on.

your opinion is tein are not suited for the street its your opinion :P and thats fine :D but from my personally experience i would recommended my tein if your looking for a hardcore setup which can be driven on the street, if you just want something for the street then it would be a waste of money and something like SK group would be more suitable or the entry level coilovers (buddyclub, super-street tein etc etc),

also from my experience 10/10 spring rate isn't too stiff for the street if they are in good built coilover, but i don't see why you would go out of your way to get that sort of spring rate or higher unless it was a good deal, or you wanted to go serious track action

Edited by [Michael]

okai girls stop bitching, i bought some tein flex with 8kg front and 6kg rear and they are comfy as and handle excellent, thanks for all your help, the 12/10's i was looking at before were some cheapo isc coilovers and i'm glad i didnt get them