SAU Community

S14 200sx -vs- R32 GTST

I was just wondering if anyone has owned/worked on both a S14 and an R32 and what their thoughts were.

Considering both cars are around the same price (200sx usually being more expensive from what I've seen though) I am curious as to what most peoples choice would be.

Performance, handling, reliability, ect

i got a rb20det silvia... one thing... rb20's sound mad! i think the s14 has better performance cause its lighter (maybe?) both motors are fairly good, respond well to mods. both cars will handle really well with shocks/springs etc. i would go with the s14..looks newer chicks love em :) haha. but r32s can be made to look like gtrs.. and with the right money would go like one.. i guess its really up to you.. 200sx has way better interier looks wise

some people like newer cars though.. even if its just for looks or nicer interior or whatever

i think each would have their own advantages and disadvantages, both have good engines, good power, good gearboxes, good diffs, nice features like power windows, etc so either way you're not going to get a bad car - as long as its been treated well. So it comes down to personal taste.

Personally, without a kit and rims i don't like how a 200sx looks,

but i guess its the same with a skyline.

I was in the same dilemma 4 months ago when I got my car. My budget was 18-20k. S14 200SX or R32?

I ended up gettin the 200SX beacuse;

-it was a newer car (96 vs 91)

-got a service history

-more likely not to have been trashed

-skylines are everywhere around here

-the interior is nicer

-local parts

However the R32 had;

-a nicer soundin engine

-tougher looks

Thats about it.. but its up to eveyrones personal preference. Reason #1 swayed me the most. I dont regret buyin a 200SX whatsoever :( Every R32 i saw in the yard had cig marks in their interior, included parts that says 'ive been trahsed in japan', and most import yard guys were tossers.

The sensible option would be an S14 - newer and fully supported within Australia parts wise etc. However i havent had any difficulties in getting parts/service and prices have been fine for my R32.

Personally i think both cars in stock form look ordinary. Done up (visually) 200s look more like show cars, R32s go cars.

Pic the 200SX cos i want some exclusivity in having a '32 - not many round here... hehe

Btw i agree 200s dont sound as tough as some R32s - mine is virtually stock and it sounds mean... :(

Performance

stock form, S14 is better due to lighter and more touque engine

but with mod, i will go for R32, at least u can increase to rb23 for reasonable price then it allow u to put a bigger tubro in it.

handling

maybe s14, but R32 has bigger brakes

s14 is roomy, r32 u can have 4 people in it comfortablely

i will go for R32, specially the price is cheaper

rb 20 kills sr20 for power potential for one simple reason

6 v's 4 cylinder

alot more flow potential

besides that i think they r very similar and its up to personal opnion

i just like the fact that you put the same turbo on a rb20 you will get more power that the same turbo on a sr

pete

Guest gtst88

SR20det all the way !!

more parts from companies like HKS,etc,etc

dont believe me ? go check it out .. there are much more parts for the SR20 det compared to RB20/25s !

Thats becuase it has a longer run.. I mean they first started putting the SR20DET in the last of the S13's... and right through until last year or whatever when they stopped making the S15. Thats almost 10 years with practically the same motor (with a few enhancements over time). Whereas in that time in the Skylines, Nissan went from RB20DET, RB25DET, RB25DET (neo). Says something about the faith Nissan had in their 4 cylinder. Guess they couldn't make up their mind so much in the Skylines :P

So yup, much of the aftermarket parts are a lot cheaper for Silvias (200sx) I've noticed, and maybe more of them too.

4cyl girl's car vs. 6cyl beast!

hmmmmmmm let me think...

- the back of the s14 looks very ordinary whereas the r32 looks the goods all he way around

- you say the s14 is quicker, but when you factor in that you will save around $5000 buying an r32gtst, putting this into mods the r32 will be MUCH faster then the s14 for the same price

- Also, RB is reliable and proven to last a long time (although with the right treatment they will both last long), but generally 6cyl can be trusted to last longer

up to you at the end of the day but i chose the r32 when i bought for good reasons and have not regretted it at all. i have confidence that my engine will last at least 300,000 kms because my mum's r31 is on 400,000 and counting...