SAU Community

The Build Has Begun!

This is what I will probably do on the next build, but as stated I have to stay to a buget, which unfortunatly is not 50K, wish I did have 50K, would have shopped around an bought an R34 GTR, theres an R34 NUR at J-Spec inports for 77k. I would snap that up if I had the cash! Had another go removing the turbos, almost there! Have decided to go the -5 and will have them soon.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up two brand new Garrett 2860R-5's today, should have the turbos off tomorrow and will be fitting everything this weekend. Fingers crossed! I need my car, its been SH#T driving my misses commo everywhere!

Turbos out!!! and thank bloody god for that, actually only took 2 hours with the help of a mate, found that not only was there a exhaust leak from the manifold (caused by two studs braking) but the rear turbo had blown out the gasket on the dump pipe. Anyway will be replacing all the studs (after I get the two broken ones out ) and also replacing all the gaskets and banjo bolt washers, will then transfer all the parts onto the new turbos and then fitting them. Now I have a quick question. The car currently is running a Blitz to atmosphere BOV, I want to replace this to a plumb back BOV, so whats a good BOV that will connect to the return piping?

Will post pics soon

Yes, but unfortunantly I dont have the stock BOV, when I bought the car it had been fitted with this Blitz to atmosphere BOV, however I have just purchased a brand new Trust Type R plumb back BOV with 2in connections. This will be easy to fit on my car with no modifications required, it is fully adjustable and should be suitable for any aplication I care to throw at it.

P.S: Got one of the broken studs out of the head today, now just one more to go!!, this ones being difficult though. Will try again tomorrow armed with some more tools! Once I have this out I will give the engine bay a clean and it will be ready to be put back together. Im hoping to get it back on the road in the next month.

Finally got the two broken studs out of the head, also removed the radiator today and sent it away to be flushed and cleaned properly. Ive bought all new hoses and gaskets, Im replacing all the studs with high tensile units including nuts. Some time this week I will be transfering all lines and dump pipes over to the new turbos, then they will be going on. Once this is done it will be a masive weight off my shoulders as this is prabably the biggest part of the job, next I will install the oil cooler and intercooler, and should be able to fire it up then! Still will be a couple of solid days work to get it there. Wish me luck, and that I dont run into any more problems!!!!

Yeah Ill try not to. Just bought a new genuine GTR badge for the rear, looks TOPS, when I bought the car I replaced the origional badge with an aftermarket one but it looked shit, the red was really off colour, this one cost $95 but looks great!!!! Now if I can only get the engine back together so I can drive the thing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, the build has come to a hault for a while now, the car has been sitting in pieces while I decide what to do. I have been thinking about the oil problems associated with the RB26 motor, now assuming mine has stock oil pump and crank and being a 89 model and the fact that my bank account is low I am weighing up my options. To go the whole hog will cost upwards of $5k which I cannot afford right now. But what are your opinions on this setup, I am thinking about fitting a Tomei sump baffle kit, Jun crank collar, N1 oil pump, Tomei metal head gasket with restrictor plates fitted, while the head is off I will obviously send it away for a service and have the oil return galleries drilled. Now I have the N1 pump and can get the other parts from nengun for about $750 delivered. I am fitting a Trust oil cooler but will still be running the standard sump, with this fitted I would run the motor harder and be aiming for higher HP level but what are your opinions on reliability with this sort of setup? Also can anyone give me a rough price on what to expect to service the head and drill out the oil return galleries? Anyone know who can fit the Jun crank collar and can it be done with the crank fitted, I will have the motor out of the car if I do this as it will have to come out to do the sump baffle anway. I was going to leave this and address it later but it has been dragging on so I am thinking that while the car is off the road I might do the job properly, it will take me abit longer to finish as I will be spending money before I get it!!!! Bloddy car is sending me broke! I live in Sydney so need someone in Sydney to fit the collar.

If you're doing all that, you should consider putting in the extra money and adding forged pistons / rod bolts (and rods depending how much power you intend to make in the future, if sticking with 350kw @ 4 then standard rods are fine). At least that way you won't have to have it out again in a long time (assuming no problems). If you do that, you'll be able to run your desired power target for a long time with no issues... it's a big call though as it's quite a bit of extra coin... I'm sure you've considered this idea :)

Edited by TommO

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I have posted, the car is still off the road but I'm getting there, I'm also getting sick of catching the train to work because I have no bloody car!. Its been hard work But I am finally getting it together, I have fitted the turbos, exhaust, coolers and BOV, and it took alot of work with the grinder to get the cooler in! Now I just have to tighten up the manifolds and fit all the top piping and it should be right to start. I finally got my Power FC from Nungen, but I wont install it until I get the money together to get it tuned, samed with the 700cc injectors and boost controller. I should have it on the road on Sunday. Will let you know how it goes!

• 4 weeks later...

Another lengthy "Mod'ing my BNR32" to XYZ RWHP" :(

My trick was...(to save myself ne ridicule) to never create the thread!!! :D almost 2 years off the road for me... serious.. back on the road in 2 months with 350rwkw's :)

Edited by GeeTR

hows the beast coming along pal....

Hi, the car is comming along fine, Its been back on the road for a little while now and everything seems to be working well, only problem is that the rear HICAS rack has started leaking so im thinking about replaceing it with a lock bar and getting rid of the HICAS al together. As for performance the car goes good with boost comming on early and heaps of mid range torque. But I havent had it tuned yet. I have all the parts to complete it but just need some time and I have to make sure I have the money to tune it before I finish. This left to go are: I have to fit the injectors, boost controler and Power FC. Once this is done I can get it tuned and it will be finished. Fitting of the parts isnt too much of a problem as I can do it myself but the tune will cost me about 1K, and I am spending all my money on my Karts at the moment, as the karting season is about to begin. It will be finished soon though, in terms of presentation it is pretty much complete and looks really good, Ill post some photos soon, Ive even had a few comments on the street, the other day I had some guy drive along beside me taking photos of the car! Then he gave me the thumbs up. Its been a long and tiring process but Im nearly there. I have een driving it nearly every day and it hasnt missed a beat so far, and it not even tuned. I am looking forward to feeling the end result when I burry the right foot though. The best thing about driving it untuned is that Im not thrashing it so Im getting almost good fuel economy :D . Anyway will post pics soon, and look forward to going on a SAU cruise when Im done. Keep in touch :P

• 9 years later...

Hi everyone, back on here, I actually have another acount now but got access back to this one. I might pass this account into the new owner of this car. 

Mad an update on this car, it made just over 300awkw when tuned at CRD on 20psi but possible head float, so I ran it at 18psi and made, from memory about 290awkw. The thing was a jet, loved it, but it still needed more money, I got a quote to do a full proper build through CRD, but then got an offer on the car so decided to let it go. 

I know the new owner so I see the car regularly but it's been off the road for a long time now. 

New owner enjoyed it for awhile but then decided he wanted more power so gave me a call, we went down to CRD and booked the car in for a full build. 

Car got an r34 crank, nitto rods, pistons and oil pump, metal gasket kit, custom extended sump with baffles, head for light porting and full service with everything new including Tomei cams. All the bolt on parts remained, while the engine was out it was also fitted with a twin plate clutch. Motor is now bullet proof,