SAU Community

Flow Testing A Plenum & Some Porting

cruzin33

Iv got a no name forward facing plenum on my rb25det and im not sure if the air flow is even and would like to know if its worth putting on my soon to be rb25/30 so im looking for a place that can flow test the plenum.

Also lookin for info and a place that can help me with porting a throttle body(If it can be done) and porting the standard manifold.

Cheers

Dave

Im not sure i got it with the car but i like the look of it as it looks stock no brand names and its clean but if its has a shit flow il put the stock one on

only pic i can find very old and dirty bay lol

• 3 months later...

I just called milton engineering and they told me that plenums cant be tested for flow rates to see if air is the same in each cylinder. They said my best option is to stick a sensor in each runner and get a dyno tune. If i go ahead with this(more research first) can i tune it to run the same in each cylinder from a power fc or is it just to see the reading?

Cheers for that il give them a call tomoro and see what they can do for me. I just took the plenum of and hade a look inside to see that it is a cut and shut job and that its been smoothed out to hide the job

Now i'm not giving you sh!t, but can you now see why your engine may have blown on a Specific workshops dyno?? Like you said you bought it like that, but i just don't see why people need to cut and shut things like that when they are playing with so much money, It's like cutting springs in a car, why? when they only cost a whole lot of F#$k all!!

Now i'm not giving you sh!t, but can you now see why your engine may have blown on a Specific workshops dyno?? Like you said you bought it like that, but i just don't see why people need to cut and shut things like that when they are playing with so much money, It's like cutting springs in a car, why? when they only cost a whole lot of F#$k all!!

???

The shortest most direct path is generaly the best as long as even flow is obtained to each port. Whats been done isnt a bad thing and certainly not something to get worked up about. I could maybe understand your response if someone did this to your car without asking.

???

The shortest most direct path is generaly the best as long as even flow is obtained to each port. Whats been done isnt a bad thing and certainly not something to get worked up about. I could maybe understand your response if someone did this to your car without asking.

Think about it........ The standard one was no doubt designed that way(eg in the middle) for a reason, Don't get me wrong on our RA40 3sgte race car we have it from the front, but we never cut and shut a working standard one, which is the way it was desinged for, What i'm saying is go out and spend the coin on a aftermarket one which has been proven to work, trust me, saves you in the long run!!

You said it yourself "as long as even flow is obtained to each port", clearly coming from the middle on this specific plenum was the way the flow was directed and made!!

I understand what your saying but spending money on aftermarket ones isnt always the best option, the best flowing plenum I've seen was made from a factory one. The main difference was the angle that the intake joined to the plenum and the overall size had been increased. Alot can be done with the right tool's/skill's.

Thats alright i coulda sworn in another thread someone was giving said workshop shit because there car had issues on dyno, and it had a plenum like yours!!

ok then if u think this is such a bad thing then why did boostworx the workshop that u go 2 recommend me 2 do this same cut n shut 2 my car if they new it was a bad thing 2 do which they said was a perfectly good thing 2 do and nothing wrong with it, plus thats not the reason for them blowing my car up on the dyno, i have taken my car 2 morpowa, willall racing, nisspeed, hi tech dyno and none of them have said it was a bad thing 2 do 2 ya plenum

so in other words u r paying out your own tuner