SAU Community

RB20 Diagnostics result (knock sensor) questions

I ran the diagnostics on my ecu and it came back with 2. 34 and 54 which are 34:Knock sensor and 54: auto send to ecu or something... 54 is explainable because there is no auto on it anymore. How much will it cost for a new knock sensor, and where is it on the engine so i can change it? Is there just one?

hey i also showed up code 34: knock sensor... so this applies to me as well

what does the knock sensor look like? i'm pretty sure i have no knock / pinging but it shows up knock sensor in the diagnostics

i would have thought this means the sensor is stuffed rather than the engine is knocking... anyone know for sure?

when you put your car in diagnostic mode, as far as i know it's job is to report faults or faulty parts and not to tell you your car is pinging or knocking so either your cars sensor needs replacing or theres a fault in the connection somewhere.

• 11 months later...

My thing is giving the same fault, im all excited that this may be the reason why my car is overly laggy... had a quick go at reaching the knock sensor, but it appears to be a job requiring jacking up the car and accessing them from the underside of the car

So whats the go, remove the sensor, clean and with some terminal cleaner etc and re-install, or does it typically mean the sensor is faulty.

Removing the plug from the knock sensor is similar to opening a bottle of metho - you need to squeeze the plastic cover in the right place to let it release the "catch". Then the connector simply slides off.

Your problem is probably that the connector is loose, and making an intermittent connection. (The error is due to a short or disconnection of the wire, not from the fact that the engine has "pinged")

• 4 years later...