SAU Community

Clutch Dramas

bezender

Hi Guys,

was busy showing a vz ss how it is done tonight, and i rooted my clutch (but tought the lesson well, so it was worth it). I'm a bit puzzled cos i have not had a clutch go like this b4, was wondering if any one could shed some light.

I shifted REAL hard from 2nd into 3rd, and then casually into 4th (i think... cant rly remember, could have stayed in 3rd??) and cruised along at the posted speed limit (truly :whistling: ). After cruising from south road, to marion road where the light was red, i went to gear down and there was no pedal at all... it was stuck flush against the firewall . I pulled around a corner, matched the revs so it could come out of gear smoothly, and called a tow truck (thanks RAA! :P , but ouch! my front bar copped a durability test from the the way it was loaded).

I Can pull the pedal back out, and it has a bit of tension, but it just goes back to the firewall if u depress it, but the clutch does not engage. Odd thing is (as far as i am concerned) there was no slippage or anything else to alert me something was goin on... till i went for the pedal

I have never had a clutch go like this... usually they just turn to mush, so i am wondering if i have fuxd something else?

Its an ogura twin plate, and was biting hard as ever just before this happened.

Also, although i can do it, i dont wanna... any recommendations on who is good for a clutch replacment/fkd something else repair? **im in brighton btw

cheers

carl

First would be to check the slave/master cyl is in fine; if air gets in to the system it will do the same as you have described.

Clutch plates can weld to the flywheel (doubt this is possible with a twin/tripple plate)

Check there's no air in the system. :whistling:

i'll give that a go soon as i find a volunteer to pump the pedal for me... my biggest hassle will be getting to the slave (its on the trans right?) cos the guys who changed my tires last lost the key to my wheel nuts :(

Edited by bezender

u can bled clutch yourself. crack the bleed nipple on the slave, push the clutch peddle in, it will stay on the floor, close the nipple and pull the peddle back out.. do this several times and top fluid up.

done :(

NICE ! that sounds a goer :P

the car is at my old ladies place, so i cant look at it atm.... will i need to get the wheel off to get to the slave, or can i just jack the sucker up and put it on stands?

finally got the motivation together to jump on the push bike and go check out my car.... slave cylinder it is. Soon as i touched the rubber boot that attaches to it, it pissed brake/clutch fluid all over my hand.

Cubes, i saw in another thread (that i cant find again) that u know where to get aftermarket replacements, keen to replace master & slave... could u let me know where that is?

In the workshop sticky there's All clutch and brake at St Mary's.

He has the slaves for around $38 ish.

Ring around a few auto stores as they may know what fits or even have a listing now.

I remember reading on ct.com VL n/a slave cylinder is the same??? Unsure you'd have to check that one. :D

hey mate

i had the same thing happen to me while driving my gfs 32 found out after looking the clutch pedal bracket had broke from the spot welds might wanna check that before going spending some $ on new clutch

ive seen that.

i think nismo make a replacement, because they know it happens.

hey mate

i had the same thing happen to me while driving my gfs 32 found out after looking the clutch pedal bracket had broke from the spot welds might wanna check that before going spending some $ on new clutch

Cheers, I'll have a look at that when i go check out my car again tomorrow arvo, gonna replace the slave anyway after it spat all that fluid, and also the master while im at it

Mine broke the spot welds and began ripping the metal so before it popped completely I had it welded up. Cost me ~$30; I can't weld for shiet. :D

There's no need to reinforce it as such just have it welded up and it will be all good.

Mine broke the spot welds and began ripping the metal so before it popped completely I had it welded up. Cost me ~$30; I can't weld for shiet. :D

There's no need to reinforce it as such just have it welded up and it will be all good.

well the boys at JMS done it soo it wouldnt happen again and said to the gf they only see this happen in d1 cars nd just laughed LoL