SAU Community

Hoons Cars Will Be Destroyed And Footage Will Be Shown

Auto Group Buy

I know its hard sometimes when you're racing your mates for fun in streets but read this:

Car hoons will be penalised and humiliated under a NSW government initiative to wreck the vehicles of offenders and publish video footage of the destruction.

Premier Morris Iemma says the plan proposes to destroy hoons' cars in demonstration tests under controlled conditions.

"Car hoons engage in potentially lethal, property destroying, anti-social behaviour," Mr Iemma said in a statement today.

"We're turning the tables. We'll destroy their property - but do it for the right reasons."

Police Minister David Campbell said film of the cars being destroyed would be publicly released.

"Video footage of these once-prized possessions being turned into splintered, twisted scrap will be the clearest message yet to hoons that we're serious about stamping out their behaviour and saving lives in the process."

The comments come after a weekend when police confiscated four cars whose drivers were allegedly racing on suburban Sydney streets.

In separate incidents on Saturday night, two 23-year-old men, one a provisional licence holder, a 19-year-old man and 29-year-old man had their cars confiscated by police and were ordered to face court for street racing.

Mr Iemma said the plan to destroy hoons' cars would provide valuable controlled crash statistics, and footage of the destruction would be used as a deterrent to wannabe hoons, while also educating young drivers.

"The modified, loud and often illegal vehicles confiscated from car hoons will be smashed to pieces in our crash labs, the results filmed and analysed, and the wrecks shown to other young drivers as a warning," Mr Iemma said.

"The RTA will also use the unique tests to investigate the potential effects of certain modifications on overall crashworthiness.

"And we'll show the wrecks at education days for young drivers, or at other RTA presentations."

Offenders would have to be convicted of street racing before the vehicles could be destroyed.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heh. so if the car is "modified, loud" it'll get smashed? Talk about discrimination. Gov't needs to pull their heads in, or they better have some damn good evidence to justify destroying people's property.

I know its hard sometimes when you're racing your mates for fun in streets but read this

FFS man.. you are exactly who these laws are designed for. Racing your mates for fun in the streets is stupid and dangerous. Personally I am glad this has been suggested. Maybe it will get a whole lot more import driving P platers off the streets so they wont be able to give us a bad name any more!! By us i mean those of us who take it to the track instead. Enthusiasts get dragged down with the 'hoon' label created by f**kwits who race on the streets. Quite obviously, it pisses me right off!

i say cause the lack of australian made cars being sold compared to imports.

they just want everyone to buy crappy holdens.

lets see the ratio of imports to australian sold cars being destroyed.

heh. so if the car is "modified, loud" it'll get smashed? Talk about discrimination. Gov't needs to pull their heads in, or they better have some damn good evidence to justify destroying people's property.

No... thats not what it says at all.

The modified, loud and often illegal vehicles confiscated from car hoons will be smashed to pieces in our crash labs

Its pretty rare that a stock '89 magna is going to be used for street racing. They are just saying that in most cases the cars are modified and loud because stereotypically they are. They're not saying that its a criteria for having your car crushed.

agreed Jon, though I am afraid of being mistreated in this... I never race, my car body rolls like a bitch... I don't feel safe throwing it around any type of corner...

When it comes to a point that I do feel safe, I will be ready to track it :yes:

Do you only have to be convicted of street racing once for this to happen? Cause I thought it was third time and you have your car impounded... but maybe I'm just old fashioned...

I'd agree that people who street race should have this happen, but my main concern would be that they would use this against anybody with a modified car, not just people street racing.

Thats my main concern too. Although I would hope you would need to be caught at least three times before they crushed your car. Kinda like going to jail for driving without a licence. They arent just gonna give you jail time after a first offence... You have to be a serious repeat offender. I hope they take the same approach with this thing too!

thats a load f**king shit... for starters its taking imorale to a new level... just a couple of things, wats goin to happen if these vehicles are on a secured personal loan and owned by the bank??? im pretty damn sure the bank isnt goin to allow the goverment to crash test there vehicles now are they?? and why are ppl in modified cars the target of this when u have goverment officials drink driving, speeding, running red lights, driving dangerously now are they goin to get there cars crushed??? ohh wait now they wnt becoz our tax pays for them v8 statesmans they drive around in....

end of rant lol

I don't race on the street, so I have nothing to worry about and if the cops try any shifty business, I've got a phone that records video/audio and a very good lawyer

It just sux that it's come to this.

I reckon kids who drive skylines and race/do burnouts and are general pests on the roads should have their line replaced with a VL Turbz so they're easily identifiable and so I don't get hassled because of their stupidity.

Well I guess this is going to cause more problems, If people do get caught for street racing, i.e seen by the police they wont be stopping for them. 7/10 times a import is going out out drive a police vehicle and I'd say people are going to take their chances to save his/her $$$.

I dont street race, its to expensive of a fine. However I do have survalence on my vehicle because I was in the area of a race! when I clearly was ages away around the corner staying well away.

Anyway my point is I think it will get more dangerous, people will cover plates when racing and then launch it when the cops come causing pursuits. more risk to life for the public.

Truthfully if I knew my car was going to get taken away if I was street racing (which wouldn't happen) I wouldnt feel like stopping even though I know I should.

Lol its funny how some of you's go i dont race on the street..

AS IF!! im sure you done it.. How about all those cruises thru nasho park etc..

Im sure some of you have gone over the speed limit.. THAT IS STILL RACING isnt it? even if there is no vechiles around, you are still going past the speed limit. Hense i can say you are racing, and not obeying the law..

Im sure there has been a slow driver in front, and you get pissed off, and overtake him quickly if he still doenst move.. and go past the speed limit, or accerlate quickly..

Im just saying, that its funny that you say i dont race etc.. thats all.. lol

But if these laws are to scare ppl from doing stupid things like burnouts, etc, then im all for it!!

I dont think anyone here goes out each night to try and race others.. For those ppl, by all means go distory there cars..

for example, we went on a cruise once with about 5-6 cars.. Had some guy in his SS try and race each one of us.. We just ignored him till he turned around!!

now to those ppl they should get cuaght and get there cars destroyed

Edited by siddr20

This seems like a good idea. But you can see so many flaws in the plan. Instead of destroying the car. Maybe the government should take it off them permanently. Sell it off and make better use of it insead of destroying $40,000.00 cars.

Lol its funny how some of you's go i dont race on the street..

AS IF!! im sure you done it..

Im sure some of you have gone over the speed limit.. THAT IS STILL RACING isnt it? even if there is no vechiles around, you are still going past the speed limit. Hense i can say you are racing, and not obeying the law..

Im sure there has been a slow driver in front, and you get pissed off, and overtake him quickly if he still doenst move.. and go past the speed limit, or accerlate quickly..

Dude, go to the RTA website and read the definition of street racing..

I think it'd be more productive if the government subsidized the cost of tracks/off street events to try and encourage people to participate there rather than on the streets. Then again... people street racing in evo's could clearly afford to pay to go to WSID.

My car's engineered, compliant... and i get defected on crap cops make up because they're bored (was driving normally, doing nothing to attract attention - going home from work... they didnt like that i had an engineered intercooler)... What's to say they won't do the same here. I'm sure they'll get more of a kick outa smashing your car than defecting it.

i dont see how crushing peoples cars are going to achieve anything.................

street racers should be taken off the streets, we all agree on this. Crushing cars is not right, the cops dont own the car its yours, people have spent thousands on their cars and to just crush em is not the way to stop people from racing.

giving police too much power is not the way to fix the issue, education is the key and driving courses not hiking up the license fees and including a green coloured p plate, thinking it will fix everything.

I can see alot of people getting hassled for just having a exhaust and pod, getting caught 5 - 10kms over the limit and getting phucd over by a officer on a bad day, bang next thing you know your cars getting crushed......

and dnt say it wont happen, because ive seen cops being phucwits first hand, its not a good sight since your powerless to do anything, asking for a badge number resulted in " i dont have a badge number " while his partner in the car is laughing