SAU Community

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i did mean i dont use the turbo timer countdown part of it :( i use all the other features tho!

i kniow

i like the other features it has

however i will use the timer too

plus it looks sleek and sexy

to be honest, i can't see anyone monitoring AFRs, voltage, etc. they're factors you can hardly control - let alone requiring any attention.

the only thing i keep an eye on is my knock sensor (safc) and even then only racing.

oil temp, oil pressure & water temp - the basic three you'll need.

sleek and sexy? it's a plastic box :(

i want to get a safc but there is no point when i will be getting an aftermarket ecu, so cause i wanted to get a couple of gauges (air/fuel and voltage) it was gonna cost me 600 bucks for the gauges and to get them installed, when i saw the apexi auto timer, it had everything i needed, and for a much less cost factor, thats why i got it :(

i guess cause my car has gone rich a few times for god knows what reason i like to keep my eye on the a/f ratio.

i do agree eug, that in the end its not something i can control

running rich is fine, cars do it all the time.

often ecu's often put more fuel in as a safety to running too lean (which is bad). i.e. cold start, etc.

well yes there's my point - if your car runs rich/lean for a few seconds, are you going to get off the throttle, pull over and turn the car off?? the ecu (and/or piggyback) if working should be controlling all of that anyway.

gauges are for monitoring when racing, when cars are put under extreme conditions - apart from that it's just a wank thing i suppose.

it is a show car no, so that's kinda the point?

i'm not making fun.

i mean wank is such a loosely used term. something you have, but don't really need - just exactly what the original poster said; the kinda stuff to show off.

ahh lol i have an apexi turbo timer for NA and turbo i was going to fitt it when my car was NA but now i defintatly going to fit it now itz turbz, cant hurt to have one on an NA all cars need to be cooled down, however it can be pointless...read wat EUG has said!

I dont see the point of turbo timers..

If you know your approaching your destination.. just take it easy 2 or 3 min before you get there.. just like you do when you start the car on cold mornings..

Give the car 30 sec or so while you gather the things you need from your car.. THEN switch it off..

Honestly.. unless your doing track work.. and your car is working at high temps.. then dont bother.. even then.. your at a track.. leave the engine on.. its not like somone is gonna steal it..

Its not like there is so much engine wear due to turning the engine off when warm that it justifies having one..

its called a TURBO timer for a reason.. it allows a TURBO to cool down as they can spin at 50,000 RPM and they do need lubrication as they cool down.. thats why the engine is on to allow the turbo to spin at much slower rpm while being lubricated and cooled..

but i could be wrong..

its all good, it came in handy at gazzanats, especially cause i asked so much from the car doing the go to whoa, i mean i really needed her to go, so i kinda put my foot down hard a few times and in the end she did well. everything held together which is the main thing

i intend to do more events like the go to whoa, dash for cash etc, so the timer countdown will come in handy,

its all good, it came in handy at gazzanats, especially cause i asked so much from the car doing the go to whoa, i mean i really needed her to go, so i kinda put my foot down hard a few times and in the end she did well. everything held together which is the main thing

i intend to do more events like the go to whoa, dash for cash etc, so the timer countdown will come in handy,

:(:P:):spank:

what are these events?

I dont see the point of turbo timers..

If you know your approaching your destination.. just take it easy 2 or 3 min before you get there.. just like you do when you start the car on cold mornings..

Give the car 30 sec or so while you gather the things you need from your car.. THEN switch it off..

Honestly.. unless your doing track work.. and your car is working at high temps.. then dont bother.. even then.. your at a track.. leave the engine on.. its not like somone is gonna steal it..

Its not like there is so much engine wear due to turning the engine off when warm that it justifies having one..

its called a TURBO timer for a reason.. it allows a TURBO to cool down as they can spin at 50,000 RPM and they do need lubrication as they cool down.. thats why the engine is on to allow the turbo to spin at much slower rpm while being lubricated and cooled..

but i could be wrong..

That is the perfect definition of what a turbo does, you are correct!! and thats why its called a TURBO TIMER, however like i said above cant do any damage to the car, so if u want one on an NA why not? apart from looking slightly wierd and eating more fuel...

hame

That is the perfect definition of what a turbo does, you are correct!! and thats why its called a TURBO TIMER, however like i said above cant do any damage to the car, so if u want one on an NA why not? apart from looking slightly wierd and eating more fuel...

hame

I just dont see a real use for it on an NA..

Its just another thing that im spending money on.. money which I can spend on other things..

Another thing that the car could get broken into for..

Another thing that can break and root around with other things..

Another thing that can cause problems..

Im spending petrol for no real reason.. and petrol is only gonna get more expensive.. :(

but thats just my 2 cents..

Cris makes the point exactly, the point of a turbo timer is for the actual turbo and oil to cool down, not the motor.

The motor uses the radiator to cool down - which requires air flow, so having the car sit stationary whilst cooling down isn't really a good thing. When racing, i normally do 1 warm up lap, 3-4 hot laps, 1 cool down lap, cruise into pit bay and switch her off. Far more stressful than a 20 second straight line run.

edit: having your car on idle wears bearings and other components faster

read anywhere in any manual and you'll always find that excessive idleing is bad for a car be it hot or cold, letting it warm up a little is good but you still only warm up the engine its best to just cruise for a little while to warm up all moving parts ie engine, trans and diff. warm down is nessecary for track work and high speed runs or excessive thrashing but as eug says the engine cools down via the coolant and the only way to cool down coolant is air flow and moving air threw the radiator is much more effictive way then making the fan's doing the job, also the fans dont kick in untill a certain tempreture so if your below that temp letting the car idle will only increase the engine temp not reduce it

Turbo timers are designed for the turbo to cool down and now they are primarly desiged for OIL only cooled turbos to cool down, the way the stock oil heat exchangers work they do not need air flow to cool the oil to the desired tempriture and flow is the best way to cool the turbo and let it spin down from 50,000 ish rpm to idel rpm, but these days the turbos are lubricated with oil and cooled with coolant (most good turbos that is, cheapies still run primitive systems) and the only way to cool coolant is air flow threw the radiator. and as eug said excessive idleing is ment to induce premature bearing wear, turbo timers are the biggest wank factor if they were really so good and nessacary they would be a stock item on stock turbo or na cars, yet name me a car which has one from factory??

As for the a/f ratio cara and anyone else, the stock oxy sensor doesnt run a wideband sensor and is only really good enough with keeping emissions down, and is no way neer good enough to determine if the car is running lead stoich or rich, you need a proper sensor which runs more than 1 volt to determine the actual reason, even the after market a/f ratio gauges are pointless without the right sensor to back it up.

PS sorry about the essay and the spelling mistakes lots of beer make me slir my typing

thank god we have people with some form of knowledge around here... despite your intake of -OH fluids you hit the nail on the head.

in summary; a turbo timer is probably doing more negative than positive on an NA car ;) and i'll re-iterate - wank.

go the greddy turbo timer....u get spd, rev count, 0-100k, 0-400m etc etc - good for the track and what not

You have a tacho for speed..

A tacho for your revs

why?.. its slow..

You get a slip at the end of the drag strip..

:(:domokun::blush::blush:

what are these events?

the go to whoa is where u start on a line, and have to go as fast as you can to another line, about 100 or so metres long, and your front tires have to stop on the other line.........if that makes sense

the dash for cash is like a mini obstacle course where u basically have to go as fast as you can, without mucking up, as there is a certain way you have to go around the course,and the lowest time wins

You have a tacho for speed..

A tacho for your revs

why?.. its slow..

You get a slip at the end of the drag strip..

its teh multifunctional :domokun:

and it glows blue :(

plus its got other goodies - and quite good for the price...only 120 or so