SAU Community

R33 Gtr Seats....how Good Are They?

nsta

Hey guys, i got a series 1 r33 gtst, and i can get a really good price on some nice r33 gtr seats (the blue trim ones).....i dont know what to do, ive been searching for seats for quite some time now, and my car is primarily street, no track work, maybe the odd day in a year at the most....

im wondering how these seats compare to say a recaro sr3 etc....the deal is for front and rear seats, and they are in top notch condition!

I've got standard R33 GTR seats, and my previous evo had recaros in it... and a friends car has the recaro SR3s. I find the GTR seats are a lot more comfortable, much better for day to day driving. The recaros are nice but rather tight, esp on the thighs.

However - it really depends what size person you are. If you're small, you'll love the Recaros... I'm a bit bigger (not huge but "cudly" haha), and hence I love the GTR seats. Most people I know love the GTR seats, big and small :P You can't go wrong with them.

Hey guys, i got a series 1 r33 gtst, and i can get a really good price on some nice r33 gtr seats (the blue trim ones).....i dont know what to do, ive been searching for seats for quite some time now, and my car is primarily street, no track work, maybe the odd day in a year at the most....

im wondering how these seats compare to say a recaro sr3 etc....the deal is for front and rear seats, and they are in top notch condition!

if you can get a good pair of gtr seats for a nice price i would jump at em. heard they still pull some pretty big $$ for seats! have u sat in both a gtr and a recaro?

i really didn't feel much difference between the R33 and R32 GTR seats. R33 GTR seat might suit someone with a larger frame (ie. fatass) than an R32 though... but other than that... they're really too similar to judge on comfort. R33 seats look a little newer and more modern but meh... i wouldn't bother with an R33 GTR seat over an R32, given that R32 GTR seats are about half the price.

thanks for the comments guys, i dont care which one is really bette,r just wanting to know how they comare to stock 33 gtst seats, adn up against other makes like the recaros etc....for the price its a steal either way........does it hold you well?,im quite small

I know that the stock GTS-t seat tends to be a little less tall ie the top of the seat back catches me in the middle of my shoulder blades (I'm 5'10) and my GTR seat is higher.

I must be one of the Fatasses though because I didn't like how the side of the seat pressed into the side of my rh thigh.

So I cut the side bars off of the frame... much better for me and since there are no tracks here in Nassau its not an issue.

I have however sat in a set of R34 GTR seats..... now thats nice!

I would think that you would much rather the GTR seats all considered.

Plus it would help set your car apart from the others.

Thats just my 2cents though.

I got r33 gtr seats in my R33, aswell as R32 gtr seats in my R32. and can't tell the differance in feel. They seem almost the smae, just different materials used.

I got a Recaro drivers seat in my R32 and compared to the stock GTR seat, i reckon its inferior.

The recaro seems to be more soft and wider, while the GTR seats seem to mould tightly to your body and seems far more supportive in my opinion.

GTR seats can fetch around $1000 easily, so it may be cheaper to get recaros instead.

Recaros, would be the buy if your after more comfort as they are much softer than a gtr seat.

And compared to stock GTST seats..the GTR seats are better in every single way, sits lower, holds better, firmer, looks better..you can't really go wrong with them. :ph34r:

Thanks mate, id rather the seats hold better, than the soft feel, so i think ill go with the r33 gtr seats:), since they are in mint condition, and the guy is selling for aud $850 including front/rear seats plus rails etc...

GTR seats are actually pretty poor quality when you strip them down. They also have a lot more movement and are heavier than Recaros.

I had one set that needed several welds repaired due to cracking.

My expert advice? Buy the Recaros every time.

Depends on your frame and what you like... you need to go and sit in some :glare:

Like I could tell you I prefer the GTR seats to the Recaros in my old Evo... however, that's because my cars are daily driven and the GTR seats are supportive and a lot more comfortable.. so really there's so many variables.... :yes:

Good point from a frame size. I'm 176cm and 110kg ex-Rugby prop, I take 2XL shirts to fit my shoulders. GTR seats are simply too narrow in the back and shoulders for me, as well as being too flimsy. When pushing hard in competition they were just not up to par. The Recaros I have are a perfect fit and I can't notice any flex in competition driving with a 4 point harness.

Having both sets of seats apart, I can honestly say I wouldn't ever waste money on any GTR seat when a Recaro is available. The GTR drivers seat had 7 cracked welds and 4 failed welds, the passenger seat had 3 cracked welds. I had to re-align and reweld, then pad weld to regain some structural integrity and this was within a couple of months of purchase on a car with less than 100K km. They are now better than original and i gladly sold them for more than the Recaros cost. The Recaros, on the other hand, look very strong and capable in the framework. My opinion is based on many years of professional engineering, mechanic work and motorsport. Their only drawback is they are not as easy to keep tipped forward for rear entry and the passenger side doesn't have a slide release on fold forward. Still, a small price to pay for a quality aftermarket product as opposed to what is a better than average OEM seat.

Having both sets of seats apart, I can honestly say I wouldn't ever waste money on any GTR seat when a Recaro is available. The GTR drivers seat had 7 cracked welds and 4 failed welds, the passenger seat had 3 cracked welds.

you are "sitting" in these seats right? that's a lot of damage.