SAU Community

Software :)

• 2 weeks later...

the longer they take to figure out the almost impossible prevention of getting hacked, then the less people becoming interested in this whole project...

the reason why people are pirating is because a software is ridiculously priced, if they are reasonably priced, e.g. $50 or $100 then most people wouldn't bother pirating...

if they want a good way, although not hack proof, do a software activation kind of thing where the purchaser must activate the software during installation by matching the name, delivery address and last 4 digits of credit cards used to purchase the disc/dvd.

This way there are less likely people who would want to 'share' their information with other fellow forum members, especially if it involves entering the name & address of the purchaser as part of the activation process. This way you can keep hacking/pirating down to a minimum among forum users. that is if the programmers are selling the software through a reputable software ordering system / merchant store that accepts credit card payment.

Other thing that they would have to consider since this is a very specific V35 software, it's not like a wide spread, well known software tools like Windows XP or Winzip which often gets hacked. (with key crack etc). why bother spending time hacking a software that is only useful for a handful of V35 owners? hackers are more interested in mass market software which is popular. winzip, windows, dvd rips from famous box office movies, well known singer's cd album rip, etc. have you ever search on the net for a hack of a software that is not really a famous one? do you actually realise how hard it is to find a crack for that 'niche' software cos basically very little people use it and hackers can't be bother doing the crack?

look, even a well known software activation system from Microsoft can be hacked, let alone theirs, but at least by doing some kind of an activation process, they are not a "sitting duck" against pirating, as if the software is affordable, most customers just cant be bothered doing piracy, and just pay for the affordable price original softwares...

very very well said above..

am i thinking too much if i feel that those guys there are just wasting time or just don wanna do it? ( i do apologize if i said something wrong)

very very well said above..

am i thinking too much if i feel that those guys there are just wasting time or just don wanna do it? ( i do apologize if i said something wrong)

Not to step on anyones toes so please don't take this the wrong way, but yea, I agree.

For all we know, they could have just used Photoshop or even paint (LOL) to create the images of the screen in English.

I get the feeling that the Russian "developer" is misleading Andy.

What "anti-piracy" system did he use for the Russian discs that he created? (if they do actually exist).

So either he hasn't actually got an English version, or he can't be bothered going any further with this development.

Just my .02c

Not to step on anyones toes so please don't take this the wrong way, but yea, I agree.

For all we know, they could have just used Photoshop or even paint (LOL) to create the images of the screen in English.

I get the feeling that the Russian "developer" is misleading Andy.

What "anti-piracy" system did he use for the Russian discs that he created? (if they do actually exist).

So either he hasn't actually got an English version, or he can't be bothered going any further with this development.

Just my .02c

Umm, those pics are from the partial version that Andy has in his M35.

Jeezus, what a bunch of ungrateful whinging bastards!

You bought a JDM car, so you expected it be in Japanese.

Someone goes out of their way to organise a possible solution to have the Japanese computer translated to display English for ALL OF US and all you ingrates do is complain that it is not here soon enough!

God forbid any of you took the initiative to offer a solution.

Just sit back, relax, shut you mouth and exercise some patience.

The translation will arrive when it arrives. Until then, try to enjoy your car for what it is... the JDM import that you love so much.

Edited by iamhe77

Thanks Cameron

Trust me, I want the full conversion as much as the rest of you.

I have put forward the discussion that it is impossible to protect from hackers but he is not prepared to release the software till he is satisfied all his work is not in vein.

I agree that the longer it takes the less people will be interested.

There is nothing I can do to make it happen any sooner than he is ready to pass it on.

The conversion is a reality, You can ask all the Stagea owners after next weekends meet as they will all see my car.

If you have a better, cheaper or even more expensive solution you would like to put in your car, go for it.

I am not doing this as a business.

when I have something to post that will give you any fixed time I will post it. I am tired of posting dates that could not be met so I will only put up definate information.

I speak to the developer every month to make sure it is still moving ahead but it is just not at the speed anticipated or at the speed any of us want it at.

Cheers

Andy

There is no anti piracy system in Russia because if you want the conversion , then you go to his work shop. There are no copies to risk piracy.

There is no anti piracy system in Russia because if you want the conversion , then you go to his work shop. There are no copies to risk piracy.

in that case maybe we should just chip in to fly him in and do all our cars. hence no piracy. airfare and cost of install split amongst all people cant be that much.

in that case maybe we should just chip in to fly him in and do all our cars. hence no piracy. airfare and cost of install split amongst all people cant be that much.

Haha. That's not actually a bad idea.

Would have to fly him around the country though and coupled wit the hourly labour charge may end up being a bit pricey.

Depends on numbers I guess (and his willingness to fly)

Sounds like Chris Rogers II

That would come to time & logistics issue...

the scheduled 'install days' may not suit everyone, and how much time he'll stay in each major cities ensureing as much as owner as possible can have the install done?

once he's gone home to russia, how's he gonna handle further requests of people who's gonna miss out?

Another solution I can think of is a network of trained 'dealers' in each city would be another solution. each dealer pays an agreed royalty, e.g. a few thousands of $$$, which includes full training on how to convert the language (perform the 'flash' update), technical support, and rights of earning money on the translation. that will get the software creator really sorted - $10grand easy, and each dealer will earn back their investment by charging people for labour/service.

Any idea how much cash they're after to make it viable?

Instead of all this stuffing around, another idea is a large enough group buy that they dont need to worry about piracy because they'll have the money in the pocket already.

ive almost given up on this

i might just end up ripping out the factory system

put a custom gauge holder there instead or aftermarket sat nav system........ still undecided.

ive almost given up on this

i might just end up ripping out the factory system

put a custom gauge holder there instead or aftermarket sat nav system........ still undecided.

I reckon I could have learnt to speak and read japanese in the time it has taken since first hearing of this software conversion. Some things in life just never eventuate!

Umm, those pics are from the partial version that Andy has in his M35.

Jeezus, what a bunch of ungrateful whinging bastards!

You bought a JDM car, so you expected it be in Japanese.

Someone goes out of their way to organise a possible solution to have the Japanese computer translated to display English for ALL OF US and all you ingrates do is complain that it is not here soon enough!

God forbid any of you took the initiative to offer a solution.

Just sit back, relax, shut you mouth and exercise some patience.

The translation will arrive when it arrives. Until then, try to enjoy your car for what it is... the JDM import that you love so much.

Ditto...

Good work Andy and hopefully more people feel like this...

i can confirm that andy does indeed have a partial conversion that i have seen with my own eyes.

just be patient guys, before this thread no one had really even investigated this before, or even got remotely this far with it. so you should all be thanking andy for his time AND his patience in this matter...........

I think the programmer will need to 'firm" up a certain number of orders for eg. 200 discs then just bulk deliver them once hes received his payment. Keep in mind the software only works to 10/2004 models as perviously advised by andy. Programmer could then do another update for the 05/06 models if the demand is there following the first lot.

later model guys will have to be even more patient to see the outcome of this.

I think the programmer will need to 'firm" up a certain number of orders for eg. 200 discs then just bulk deliver them once hes received his payment. Keep in mind the software only works to 10/2004 models as perviously advised by andy. Programmer could then do another update for the 05/06 models if the demand is there following the first lot.

later model guys will have to be even more patient to see the outcome of this.

This isn't a bad idea. Group buy - but for 1! Andy tell him I'll order 50-100 disks and then I can re-sell them here on the forum :D