SAU Community

FS: Hicas Lock Bars

For everyone out there who has a Nissan with the HICAS rear wheel steering installed, here's your chance to get rid of it.

This modification will greatly inprove the cornering predictability of your car. No more 'vauge' rear end seeming to do what it wants....

Only $220 each.

PM, E-Mail or Phone me on 0411 878 961

Doc.

These are the same as Unique Auto Sports is selling for $325

hicas%20remov.jpg

Here's a quote from a site discussing it:

"RESULTS

On the road: Its amazing how much the HICAS actually makes a difference, it really does add alot of stability to the rear end. With the HICAS lock kit on, the rear was more twitchy on the exit of corners, but cornering felt more positive and the rear felt less vague, more predictable.

Understeer in slower corners was reduced and less lock was needed on the wheel. Yet there is the feeling that the rear end is twitchy, maybe something to get used to. I should add that when driving normally, there is no difference, its only when driving above 8/10ths that you can feel the HICAS isnt there anymore. I will also need a rear wheel alignment, as I "eyeballed" the alignment settings, ideally I think 2mm of toe-in is about right.

On the track: A completely different experience! Where in the past powering out of corners would result in alot of understeer, now with the HICAS locked up, you can determine how far you want to step the tail out, after you have passed the apex of the corner.

It has changed a once pushy heavy feeling car into a throttle steerers delight. Drifting is alot easier, as you can powerdrift the tail out of corners, after you get used to it, you can get on the power alot earlier so that its well and truely onboost coming out of the corner.

The downside is that its not going to be for everyone, Ive been involved with motorsport for 9 years now and I know how to control a drifting car. A leadfooted beginner driver with the HICAS locked up can get themselves into alot of trouble. The upside is that the Skyline HCR32 is such a well balanced car and its so communicative that if you didnt know the tail was going to slide out and react accordingly.... you better let your grandmother drive.

The HICAS lock mainly makes itself felt after the apex of the corner, braking, turn in and mid corner balance remain much the same. Also gone is the rear end vagueness at the speed where the HICAS starts to come on.

Discussion: So what is the point of having the HICAS system if all it does is create understeer on the track? I hear you say.

Well like most things designed into modern cars, they have in mind the average driver, with average driving skill, that would never take the car onto the track and would never drive above 8/10ths. For these drivers, driving in snow or wet conditions, they would never have to worry about the tail sliding out under trailing throttle, because the HICAS is working for them.

For the rest of us that like to be able to drive our Skylines on the throttle, powerslide the tail and go drifting, the HICAS lock kit is for us..... happy drifting!

The review seemed only to speak about the HCR32. Does this kit fit onto an R33? Can you COD to Perth? What is the final price?

Fat32 - it may be possible to just loop the lines together to complete the hydraulic circuit, beware that the modified lines will result in less oil required in the system. This is just my personal opinion though - not one of someone who knows the complete hydraulic steering system! (insert more disclaimer stuff here) :D

From what I've seen basically you remove the lines all the way to the front of the car. There's two outlets from the power steering pump, and I believe one is for the hicas. I've seen the metal hose cut and the fitting left in place brazed up.

They will fit 33's as well... these are easier being electronic I believe?

Add $30 for COD postage, or $10 for payment up front by DD....

Sam.

Hi guys, on R32's the rear steering output from the power steering pump normally goes to the 2 solenoids on the inner guard under the inlet plenum. We remove these and run the line straight to the standard power steering cooler. It already has a return line to the reservoir.

We leave the two steel pipes from the rear to the solenoids in place, they make nice big and neat fuel feed lines.

Hope that helps