SAU Community

Test Drove A S1

kidafa

Is the turbo sound a high pitched whistle? or anything similar? When I bought my s2 it had more of a whine than a whistle but still sort of high pitched and quite audible from inside and outside the car (though not deafening either).

It was a lot louder than the turbo should sound and we ended up replacing the turbo and it disappeared. However when the turbo was replaced there were cracks in the exhaust manifold and that was replaced as well, so there's a chance that this could have been all it was. But all the same I'd not touch it if its anything turbo related. Will cost a minimum of $1000 to fix and could be as much as $2500 depending on what you need done.

The brakes shuddering could just be pads or at worst maybe the discs needed machining or something? dunno.

But yeah like others said, unless you got a really good price for it I'd keep on looking around. (you can pick up a good s1 from japan with ~$130,000kms and auction grade 3.5 or 4 condition these days for ~$12000 or maybe less)

Yeah the owner is clueless... its his son's car from japan, and his son is over their as he exports cars.... the rust under the mirrors was visible from inside the doors when they are open... not very large but its their how much would this cost to fix?

Every stagea I've seen has a tiny spot of rust just below the passenger mirror. Not sure what it costs to fix, i've yet to fix mine but so saying I should get onto it...

Every stagea I've seen has a tiny spot of rust just below the passenger mirror. Not sure what it costs to fix, i've yet to fix mine but so saying I should get onto it...

when you arrange yours mate book mine in too !

group buy !!

this stag sounds like it has some issues... unless this car is stupidly cheap priced maybe you should look for another one... everyday there seems to be more and more on the web for sale... and they are slowly getting cheaper.

except that I got a very good S1 at a good price ($13K) but in hind sight if I know what I know now I would have bought A S2 Neo... you see them as low as $16K

just a thought

antony

i agree with both of Antony's comments!

I recon a s2 for 14k is do-able

i agree with both of Antony's comments!

I recon a s2 for 14k is do-able

my s2 with 112000 on it genwine klms was $11400.00 and i recon looking at the jap auctions thats about average for a 99 model not the 40000 ones u see here was in good nick had her 12 months and sweet as a nut

Do you mean 1) buy an import or 2) get one through jspec? I can't answer (2) 'cause I haven't used them, but if it is (1) I'd say go for it. I've imported a few cars now, and even with the hassle of the paper work and things disappearing from the car in shipping, it has been worth it. Though you really need to know what the local market has, so that you know what is going to be a good deal to import.. And then don't hurry, wait for exactly what you want...

Edited by ian

when you arrange yours mate book mine in too !

group buy !!

Count me in too! Except my spots of rust are on the bonnet and roof. None under the mirror. Tiny and small but i know they're there!

Sorry for hijack.

I think there are enough good models getting around in Australia now that you shouldnt have to go looking at auctions, unless you want something special

s1 local from 10k, s2 local from 13k

My boost control solenoid makes that ticking sound when its actuating. Does the car have an aftermarket boost controller?

I had the exact same problem, this could just be the boost controller ( hopefully ) how I fixed it was mounting it with insulation in between.Shudder sounds like warped brake rotors...but that would be the least of my concerns