SAU Community

Turbo died today :(

Well, the turbo on my 33 died today, warmed it up got 20m down the road barely changed to second gear and bam knock knock knock :) . Didnt even hit boost (i dont hit boost until its at full operating tremperature) Guess i'll be without a car for a few weeks as i can't afford another turbo right now. It was only on 10psi too, so really, there is no safe limit, it's touch and go 82000 kms on the odo. Does anyone have ANY spare turbo for sale that would bolt on? :)

a knock knock knock sound dont sound like your turbo going, and speaking from expenince coz i've shit 3 ceramic turbo's and you'll be lucky if you can hear them blow. But if you hav blown your turbo it must hav ingested a bit of crap from sumwhere to shatter the ceramic turbo.

I've now clocked 130,000km's. I've been running 15-16psi for over a year now and have done around 30,000km's last year.

Just luck of the draw I guess.

When I had the turbo off the ceramic blades did look like they had hairline fractures but 20,000km's later and its still running.

Couldn't you manually disconnet the wastegate and jam it fully open so the exhaust well most of the exhaust gasses bypass the turbine in turn allowing you to drive it around until you get the new terd?

If your ceramic turbo has blown, there should be nothing left of the turbine wheel and then there would be no need to do the waste gate thing u mentioned JOEL.

The easyest way i rekon to tell is to unbolt your turbo down pipe and look inside your turbo where the turbine wheel should be, if theres nothing there then it's deffenitly crapped out.

Hey Ive been driving mone around since I did mine on Saturday. The car has no power but runs really well. The exhaust is heaps loader too, sounds mad, but its all go and no show for now.

have you had a look at the turbo area?

are you sure that you are not missing bolts of the exhaust or other flanges causing the turbo to knock against the other metals?

as mentioned.

a blown turbo wouldn't make a knocking sound..

and why would your turbo blow when you are driving off boost and at like 20 km/h

I rang a mechanic up and asked him about it, he said it sounds like the exhaust wheel has come off and is rattling around. He said it was possible that something happened while it was cooling down in my garage the night before and stuffed up when it got running that day. I don't know too muh about internals of a turbo so i'll just take his word for it as i can't get the car anywhere to get checked out. I want a bigger turbo anyway so now's as good a time as any to get one.

Hmm anyone know all the HP limits for my stock engine?

the injectors (with good fuel pump), gearbox, how much boost before its dangerous to internals etc.

Bad tuning kills motors, not so much boost.

Over around 230-240rwkw you start to have to use bigger injectors etc = $$. AND... if its tuned bad it will break pistons 5 and or 6.

Well i must have the strongest factory RB20 turbo in OZ.

On Monday i did a little over 35 minutes (approx 28 laps) in the one session running 0.85bar of boost at Wakefield.

The car did not sit idle by the side of the track for more then 45-60 minutes without at least a 20min blast around the track. Every 7-8 laps would have to slow for a lap to get tyre temps back so the car handled reasonable.

Other then that the car was driven all day whilst shifting at about 5,500-6,000rpm, trying to get quick some consistant laps. (im only kidding myslef, my pace was far from quick, and laps far from consistant...but i was trying);)

I was oh so proud to have clocked the magical 150,000 km mark whilst on the track. The only downer on the day is that i now have an exhaust leak, from a gasket, too many sheared manifold studs???? Will have to wait and see.

But my point, the turbo is still in one piece.:P

hhmm...I wouldn't only call one mechanic and trust what he says, especially if what he says lines him up for a job of $200 - $300 at least. I guess the easiest way to check would be to jump back in your car, warm it up and then go for a fang - if it gets on boost, then it's working, if it says well under 0 manifold pressure then it's obviously not making boost and wheel very well may have fallen off.