SAU Community

twin turbo R32 GTST

Hi guys, After blowing a turbo gasket, I’m in the process of fitting 2 stock RB20 turbos to my Nissan Syline R32 GTSt. All the work is been done at a engineering firm in Bunbury WA where my dad works.

We are making 2 separate manifolds one for each turbo. Front 3 exhaust outlets to one and the back 3 to the other turbo. There is going to be a balance pipe that goes between both manifolds to equalise pressure into both turbos. We see there is no need to have 2 wastegates so one will be blocked off. All water and oil lines are been ‘T’ . There will be 3” pipes coming off the back of the turbos converging into a 4” exhaust system. Air intake for the turbos will consist on the 1 pod filter, splitting into 2 pipes after the afm then to the turbos. The outlets for the turbos will converge into one tube entering the front mount intercooler then engine.

This project is well underway, and if all goes well will be completed in a month. Before starting this project I had 200bhp running a stock turbo with 13psi, with the intercooler and a 3” exhaust. I have had it down the drag strip with a time of 13.7 @ 167km/h.

I was interested if any one had any comments on how laggy it will be, the power output I might achieve, or any concerns about what im doing. All comments will be appreciated. thanks, Ewan.

I guess the major cost in this project that would be incurred is the labour involved in engineering such a setup to work properly.

Of cos thats somewhat irrelevant here since your dad works in the firm.

For the typical enthusiast out there, such a project would not economical, since the labour cost would overwhelm everything esle.

But for someone in your shoes, i guess it would be the natural thing to do, since rb20 turbos are rather cheap, as well as the rest of the parts involved.

IMHO u might need to stick to 2 wastegates to get more accurate boost control, but i may be wrong here.

Always good to have something out of the ordinary...

do keep us updated! ;)

I was thinking as well, with only one wastegate you will very likely have boost creep problems.

Lag might be an issue as well as the turbine size and a/r ratio is designed to have 2L of displacement running it, not 1L.

Be interesting to see how it works though.

J

i think lags gunna be a big issue though. cause i'm pretty they're bigger then a gtr turbo, which works with 1.3L of engine, you're using a bigger turbo for 1L of engine. You'd think that in theory it'd take twice as long to spool.

What 1 bar barrier? He's only using 1 turbo on 3 cylinders, which means for the same pressure, the turbo is spinning only half as fast (in theory). It's not going to be 100% efficient like that of course, but each turbo will definitely be able to run more than 1 bar of boost reliably.

That is the problem, both turbos have to run up to the original speed to generate the original boost, but now there is only half the exhaust gas volume to do it.

As a result I would expect the boost threshold to be about twice the RPM it was before. You can fix it by fitting smaller a/r turbine housings, but the top end airflow should be awsome either way.

oops nice some one actually read it he was paid in food and i kicked his ass and made him piss and im a CHICK yeh thats rite na i have to be nice hes allright but needs to put his little rotor back together as it sound strange?? at times!!(n e bunno people will know what i meen )

k

troy its maureis

u r a dreamer and u allways will be u and your fu**ed car ill see u at the drags on the third of august we will see if your skyline will beat the rx-7 u might as well stay in bunbury to save your self the embarrasment dreamer nufing but !!!!!!!!!!!!

ahha mike

your car is the same as mine basically

i drive mine NORMALLY i didnt buy a skyline to thrash it qtr mile it etc

im gonna make it run good and keep the boost standard and just make it look decent

im not into this "ooh ill drag u" shit

id like my car to last and not be thrashed to the max

and maurice i couldnt care less if ya could beat me

hell a LOT of cars on the road could beat me

i dont go on as my cars sumthin special

i tell ppl

its a STOCK SKYLINE

all id have to do is spend a bit of $ like ewan did on a intercooler etc and id own u like he does

but the fact of the matter is i am not interested i got the car cause i love skylines

the end

also the 20c remark was a JOKE :)

and yeah iluvewan i know what ya mean by the rotor comment

hes gotta add some cylinders and stop making it sound like a whipper snapper ;)

Int21h

ur talking about ur car again i bet urs does it in 15 or so am i rite

when you gonna get that auto out and come do some drifting

iluvewan dont knock maurices rotar its got style probably more than you

:)