SAU Community

Custom Split Exhaust System

futurewa

Hey Guys

I got my dream car but it's far too loud!

Some specs -

TRUST extended split dumps

EXHAUST TECHNOLOGY custom twin system with Apexi valve and custom cross over pipe...

Pic of split System

Pic of tail pipes

What is my best option for quitening the car down without ruining the performance?

I'd also prefer to keep the tail pipes rather than go for a single big drain pipe.

Thankyou..

Edited by futurewa

Get some decent mufflers mate, looks like you have two pissy cannons and thats it. :)

Which basically wont do anything... ! One of my mufflers is probably better than the two you have.

The cross-over's purpose doesnt reduce noise either, so not sure why you mentioned it :(

I have the same from section as you (Trust extensions), two BIG custom mufflers, 94dB 3.5" all the way and will flow over 350rwkw.

Done and dusted ;)

There have been a few "exhaust noise" threads now, and ive posted pics of mine in there 2-3 times so have a search if you want a visual.

sorry, but whats the point of the crossover section?

I think it has a similar effect to a balance pipe in v8's.

If you didnt have it it would be like having two 4cylinder motors creaming their balls off, and you would loose the V8 grumble.

And in this case, two 3cylinder turbo motors.

I wonder what that would sound like :)

The cross-over's purpose doesnt reduce noise either, so not sure why you mentioned it :)

it does actually but your right those rear mufflers wont control the noise, must admit though marky mark is without a doubt the best exhaust shop in aus. im sure if you go back and say i want it quieter he will do it.

i wish i had the oppurtunity for him to do my ltd exhaust :) he has done plenty of work for me in the past and shits on anything else i have seen from anywhere.

I think it has a similar effect to a balance pipe in v8's.

If you didnt have it it would be like having two 4cylinder motors creaming their balls off, and you would loose the V8 grumble.

And in this case, two 3cylinder turbo motors.

I wonder what that would sound like :)

Yer to start off wid in my torana i had a twin exhaust and it didnt crossover and it had a reali bark sound to it.. sounded reali bad especially when reving up higher... then it was rewelded with a cross over, it lost the bark sound and made the lower V8 rumble stand out more... is beautiful :)

not a 100% sure but the purpose of the balance pipe on a v8 is to balance the back pressure between the two banks, so its not needed on a turbo car as the turbo's create the back pressue for the engine, not the exaust

but the system looks good, id just chuck a muffler on each side, should quiten it down a bit

You'll need a couple (one for each pipe) of centre mufflers or silencers/resonators. That's the only way you'll get it quieter without changing the rear mufflers, which look too nice to change.

silencers/resonators wont do a thing.

The cross over is something alone the lines of below, its probably not exact, but yeah... just a starting point.

To even the exhaust pulses/tone. (nfi the true term)

If you have 3 cylinders, and then 3 all the way to the rear without crossing, it sounds retarded as its not even (ie all 6).

So the cross-over lets this occur and giving it a good sound

That said, i had a ZJ fairlane many years ago no balance pipe and it sounded good.

Yep, it's a GTR R32.

Ok, so it seems that I need to replace the existing mufflers with 2 decent big ones. The guy at the exhaust shop wanted to put in a single big muffler in the middle where the crossover is. Will that make the car sound wierd?

nice looking exh....are you running cats? (i found one cat was enough in addition to a shitty cannon to get my 26 quiet enough to go over the pits) otherwise some chambered mufflers somewhere in the middle will do the job.

sir racer; I had the same issue and ended up going with a custom made 4" muffler.... couldnt find a 3.5" anywhere (3.5" thin wall stainless is not an easy thing to find either - i ended up paying double for a 3.5" bend what i coudl get a 3" one for, sort off explains the lack of local 3.5" mufflers also)- cheaper in the end to go 4" if there was the room

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Oh also, looks like it will be 3-4 weeks before they arrive - so no coolant change until then 😕
    • @soviet_merlin Managed to find my part and get it off Amayama. While I was at it and paying 9.75 AUD shipping for a $1 piece, I thought I may as well get some other plastic clips I broke 🙈  Thanks a lot for this link
    • The point of all that for me was to get to the PDM (yes, v37 is as fancy as a haltech) which is between the battery and the front inner guard.  In there, pins 80 and 81 on connector E125 are for hi beam according to the USDM manuals. I chose to intercept the high beam signal there as it is next to the battery and firewall so it is a good place to mount the fuse/relay for the LEDs. Unfortunately because you can't access the PDM with the battery in the car, it is difficult to test those wires are correct. The fuses for Left and Right high beam are marked on the PDM cover, so I checked continuity from the fuses to those pins with a multimeter, and it seems to be right. From here I need to splice a wire into one of those 2, and run it into the cabin for a switch, then run the trigger wire back to that general location for the relay. So, I removed the driver's side guard liner to check out where the wiring leaves the engine bay and enters the cabin.  Turns out, that does not happen behind in guard liner at all....waste of time, nothing is routed through there, so that was another 5 pin clips, 4 screws and a bolt of wasted effort All of the wiring is actually run across the separate compartment between the engine bay and the cabin under the cowling...so off with the windscreen wipers after all....
    • So....the good news is you don't have to remove the windscreen wipers to replace the 12v battery in a v37 (just). You do however have to remove: 1. Battery area cover (un clips) 2. Battery area trim (pin clips) 3. Nav side windscreen cowling (more pin clips, plus the trim between the cowling and the front guard, and half of the cowling to bonnet seal All of that gets you to here, with clear access to the battery While there, it is worth clearing out the leaves and dirt that run from the cowling into that well, my car had a lot of crap there and it is a guaranteed future rust hotspot
    • Onto trickier matters....this time of year a LED light bar makes a massive difference to avoid skippies etc, so that was the first main priority. Unfortunately unlike both the Cima and the Fuga, there is no chance for a large central light bar inside the grille due to all of the redsport bits already there (intercooler radiator, extra water pump, sonar stuff). So this time I've gone a pair of 8" light bars which does have the benefit that they can be angled outwards a little as well. First, bumper needs to come off as there is no way to access the space behind the grill with it in place. Unlike the R32 which is (now) held on with 2 screws, the v37 had about 30 pin clips, 20 bolts and also 6 clips holding the damn thing on. Basically you remove the intake (clips), the top side covers (nasty clips) to get at 2 bolts, the front of the undertray (about 15 bolts and 3 clips), the front side inner guard covers (3 bolts and a couple of clips each) to get at the bolts at the rear of the bump in the wheel well, and then 3 clips near the headlight (outside, then under headlight, then above headlight) As part of that process the car got its first "race" mod so you can get at the top bumper bolts without removing the trim. There are also about 8 different electrical connectors which are in grave danger of being cut and replaced by one multi pin deutsch connector one day. On the bright side it is clear the bumper had never been off by how tight the connectors were. Once off, you can see there is very little space to work with. The lower section was not an option as the angle to the road would suck, plus the sonar module would push everything too far to the centre So I mounted the left side bracket to just clear the water pump (a miss is as good as a mile, they say) and the horn has been moved backwards too. The brackets on these Narva lights were a nice height to clear the front reo, and I just drilled and rivnut-ed into the reo (angle drills suck, but at least it made the job possible) With both mounted Minor adjustments to horn locations but everything else cleared. Those horns may well get moved / one deleted depending on how the cooling is on hot days, they were moved well to the side in the R32 Next, onto the wiring which will be a pain...