SAU Community

Audi Rs4 Drive

GTRgeoff

Sunday I got a message after getting home from the SCC as a mate needed some help.

James (some may know him and his great job) needed a car at the Gold Coast for the opening of the new branch of P1 Club http://www.supercarclub.com.au and was short on the regulars that move them around. After the SCC (SAUQld Skyline Charity Cruise) I was still in the mood for a bit of a driving trip so I let him know that I was available and flexible on timings (aka retired).

The Mission: get the Audi RS4 superwagon up here by mid week. More importantly I read that as it needed to be here trouble free and ready to go with minimal effort after arrival so common sense was in order for the trip.

IMG_0542re.jpg

James had the flight to Sydney ready to go around 2pm Monday for a 6pm liftoff so a quick pack of an overnight bag and a call to an old mate for an overnight near Newcastle saw me on my way.

On arrival in Sydney I was met by Ian from P1 with the Audi. A quick trip to Star City had me aquainted with the car as well as a quick exchange of personal histories with Ian. Once at Star City there was a little paperwork and another rundown on the car and I was ready to go. I was still a little shellshocked as to how I could end up with the keys to a $180K superwagon in my hand so casually, and all I could think of was just how much trust had been handed over with so little fanfare so I wasn't about to abuse that....much :)

Initial Impressions

This car seemed very taught in the chassis and suspension with marvellous seats trimmed in black RS4 embossed leather. Interior finish looked great with good layouts and a few other niceties, like the sunroof and electric seats with front squab adjustment and dual lumbar support, perfect for my less than perfect lower back. Looking in the rear view mirror was like looking down a tunnel with all the dark interior and the other traffic just disappearing behind during the drive. The pedals have a nice metal finish with plenty of sporty holes in them. The passenger compartment is trimmed with plenty of carbon fibre garnish but it doesn't look like it's overdone.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0550re.jpg

IMG_0553re.jpg

IMG_0555re.jpg

The satnav was extremely intuitive to program for my overnight stop and gave good instructions most of the time, only turning me around twice on the trip. Remembering that the Euros have the indicator on the left wasn't automatic so the wipers might have accidentally come on once or twice along the trip. I found the radio control easy as well.

So with the seat adjusted and the nav set I depressed the clutch, pressed the engine start button and then clicked the S button on the steering wheel to be rewarded with a deeper note from the exhaust thanks to some extra plumbing Audi have added for the enthusiastic driver. Thanks for the tip on that James. The note was reminscent of a worked WRX but the drive certainly wasn't.

I found the clutch nice and light, if a little long in travel but that was quickly gotten used to. The brakes, which were sourced from the Lamborghini Gallardo, had a short amount of light travel then were very sudden but a slight adjustment of the seat allowed me to overcome that as well. The brakes, once you get used to the pressure are sensational and the fronts looked to be on about 370mm rotors inside the 19" wheels filling them easily.

The drive

It's easy to run out of superlatives with this car so I won't bother talking it up. Acceleration is strong, to say the least. Not neck snapping 500hp GTR like with the turbos coming on but nice and linear from just about anywhere. The redline was about 8000rpm on the tacho but I don't think I went too close at any time as I value my license (especially if another opportunity like this appears) and the speed limits came up too fast to really look at the tacho if the right pedal was given a bit of a shove. It was well into the next day before I felt comfortable enough to floor the accelerator in a lower gear. I didn't bother with any brutal starts. I got the overall feeling driving this car that there was nothing to prove and really just enjoyed the driving.

Throttle response is the very definition of crisp. Even in 6th at 100kmh the response is instance and the acceleration very firm. When overtaking it is marvellous and before you know it the car in front dawdling along in the 110 zone is behind you allowing the amazingly accurate cruise control to do it's job, not wavering more than about 1kmh off the set speed even through large hills. I even found that leaving it in 6th in a 50 zone was comfortable and very good acceleration came in at about 60kmh to push the car back up to 100kmh. In fact 100 tended to come up very rapidly...... This all added together to make for very easy overtaking and general driving on the all too brief drive.

The suspension is a revelation for the sporting driver. Firm and communicative but with great bump control, no noticeable tramlining on the large wheels and great handling. While I wasn't about to explore the limits I found it comfortable to push a little through the tighter bends than one would with most wagons or family cars. Not as firm as the Bilsteins in my GTR but a much better everyday option. Coming up the Gold Coast there is a sweeping but tight 3rd gear bend to stay on the Freeway. I found myself having just passed an Audi A4 1.8t and entering the turn when I heard tortured rubber next to me in the right lane. The driver appeared to want to compare capabilities so I obliged. Even though I was pushing it so I physically felt somewhat uncomfortable (remember I have a couple of ruptured discs in my lower back and only race in a 4 point harness) I couldn't detect any understeer or overt bad handling characteristics. All that was needed was a gentle squeeze of the throttle exiting the 270 deg bend and the A4 was well over 100m behind me as we resumed travel in the 100kmh zone. An impressive display by the wagon.

With more time I would be able to get a grasp of the capabilities and feel of the car loaded with extra passengers and luggage as I'm sure the ride would be a little more plush, but all in all I challenge any other car to be as capable in so many conditions. With ample luggage space, three passengers and able handling and performance I would go as far as to join Jeremy Clarkson in suggesting this is possibly the best all round car available bar none. While it may not be all things to all people, if you had to choose just one car to live with you could do a hell of a lot worse than the Audi RS4 Wagon, and not much better. Pity about the price but P1 Club can help out for as little as 28K per year and with the range available, that really seems like small change if you have expensive tastes.

Thanks to James at P1 for the opportunity and priveledge of looking after this fine car, as brief as it was.

IMG_0545re.jpg

IMG_0547re.jpg

IMG_0548re.jpg

IMG_0543re.jpg

IMG_0549re.jpg

Hey Geoff - this was another of James' toys I had a play in on the weekend. (997 Turbo)

And you reckon the RS4 is good... :)

Nice Snowie. I'm sure the RS4 wouldn't cut it straight up against a decent Porker in a performance duel, but with wife, 2 kids and the luggage then the Porka turbo would look funny as hell with roof racks :)

Did you guys take that for the GOR cruise?

Is this an ad? HAHA!

Nice tho, very nice. You are one lucky bugger thats for sure.

Thanks Daveo. I'll take that as a compliment to my writing. No ad but hell, if I had the spare cash I'd join up for sure, and credit where it's due they deserve a plug from me for the fun time I had.

Snowie and a few others got the chance to sample the more exotic beasts and I've had envy ever since.

Thanks Daveo. I'll take that as a compliment to my writing. No ad but hell, if I had the spare cash I'd join up for sure, and credit where it's due they deserve a plug from me for the fun time I had.

Snowie and a few others got the chance to sample the more exotic beasts and I've had envy ever since.

You me both! If only kidneys grew back!

I was just mucking about with the ad comment, yes well written, and a good story, how could you not give them a plug after all that.

Rod, glad you make that much mate. :D If it isn't too out of reach then James is sure to have a deal for you.

I did a little research, especially after getting back and going for a drive in the BA XR8 Ute which seemed pretty sluggish. Large throttle movements needed to make anything happen. I only have it to tow a large boat and the race car as well as the cargo space so not in any way my ideal performance car.

R33 GTR 8.5:1 comp

R33 GTS25t 9.0:1 comp

My race car, GTS25t with RB26 head and RB30 block, forged bottom end twin turbo 9.0:1 comp

BA BOSS 260 XR8 9.5:1 comp

Audi RS4

Cylinders: V8

Valve Gear: Dohc

Engine cc: 4163

Bore/Stroke: 84.5x92.8

Compression Ratio: 12.5:1

Power kW: 309

Torque Nm: 430

Seats: 5

Kerb Weight (kg): 1710

GVM (kg): 2260

That's right, 12.5:1 comp ratio folks. Glad I only used 98 octane for the fills but that will be why this thing has such a sparkling good engine. Now if they can do that, imagine what the BOSS engine would be like with say 11:1.

I keep telling you that you should have looked at the Audi ALLROAD 2.7 V6TT before that crap Falcon Ute! :laughing-smiley-014:

True, it would not quite be the RS4 V8 but with a few tweaks the 2,7 V6TT can kick some serious ass!

But now maybe you can reconsider and look at the next ALLROAD that comes along, go on, you know you want to... :D

Great to see your still out and about for an old retired guy! :(

Great story though, you should show it to the local Audi dealer and try to do one on the new R8!! :worship:

If that does not fly then maybe James could see what he can do for you.. :worship:

Think I might call in there this week now I am over my Kidney stone - DAMN they say its similar to the pain of giving birth and I dont doubt it! :worship:

Hi Greg, good to hear from you but not good to hear of the stone.

Not sure how many R8s are around for general review but if I'm a good boy James might have a small job for me.

The Cooner Ute is good because Nelly can throw a few dozen plants in and I don't have to worry about upholstery. A quick sweep and it's ready for circle work.

Weighing it up, I doubt that I'll afford anything better than the GTR for a long time now my earning potential is ruined.

I have to say I'm suffering a little for the drive. Nerves that were damaged are playing havoc but worth every second.