SAU Community

Rb20det Water Jackets -- Yep You Guessed It

Doctor 30

In my desparation to short cut taking the turbo off I think I have knocked a welsh plug into the motor. The reason I can't be sure is that I was levering at it and it should have popped out but I cant be sure. I think I can feel it has fallen toward the back of the motor.

I need a diagram of the block to see where it could have gone. If anyone has one or can direct me to a website that does then I will be able to tell the sort of destruction it may cause in the future. (especially as it rusts away to smaller floaties)

It is the one that is between the engine mount and the oil line (the bigger welsh plug near the bottom). I have felt around inside and it doesn't seem to have any where to go and shouldn't block any thing but it would be good to know for sure.

Any advice on this would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

It came out with the "magnet on a rod" tool and a pair of vice grips. So ner, it was plated steel.

But! and here is where the most brilliant piece of bush mechanic vs lazy arse comes in. Getting the replacement welch plug in. Its the one behind the turbo so there is no room to tap it in. So after 1.5 hrs of experimenting poking and prodding I found the correct tools for the job are a 19mm socket and a jimmy bar. You put the 19mm socket inside the plug and get the Jimmy bar under the engine mount. Then lever the jimmy bar against the socket to get the welch plug into the desired depth.

The jimmy bar enters from behind the cross member.

So thats is how it is done