SAU Community

Need some advice.

last weekend i was driving and i saw my oil light flickering and the engine started to sound like a diesel engine, so i parked the car and let it cool down and then checked the oil and it was full, so i went home and did a change of oil and filter, started her up and the problem looked like it was fixed, so i took her for a drive and i noticed that when the temp. reached 1/2 it started to do the same thing. My feeling is that the oil pump is on its way out, so as the engine gets warm the pump starts to shut down. Anyone every had this problem? Am i thinking along the correct line or is there something else wrong with the engine? Any help would be good

p.s. its a rb20 single cam engine

Thanks

Edited by who's next

Not sure hey, I'd guess the only thing that may stop you from pulling the sump straight down would be the front sway bar, and possibly the engine crossmember. Jack it up and have a look tomorrow.

to take the sump off u can either pull the engine out or if you have access to a hoist support the engine using a special support bar and chain then drop the crossmember off, i know koz i did this myself on my 32 koz it had the same problem but after cleaning out the sump an removing the oil pickup an replacing the gasket it was fine, it only made it easier for me being a mechanic so i could easily drop the crossmember without takin it right out, by which is a total biatch to get back together

I used this opportunity to tell the wife i might need to change my engine and to convert my car to a project car (as i would like to do everything meaning and build up a good strong car), so i went by a guy who brings in used parts from japan, and told him i was interested in going with the rb25det set up. I had my heart set on the neo rb25det, but he told me that engine is trouble and to go with the rb25det with the ignitor. Now i have been searching on the net to see people's experience with both engines, but i have not seen anything bad about the neo. My thinking for going with the neo is that its a newer engine which should = less miles and its rated at 280hp the same as the rb26dett (without the cost of the rb26).

Have any of you guys had a bad experience with the neo?

Which one would you suggest neo or non-neo

thanks.

I went S1 25 in my 32

your on the right track with your thinking lower km etc

but unless you trust the wrecker and his km claim theres probably no point getting the neo

over a earlier 25 plus you can spend the extra cash on mods

Thanks guys, I would go with the neo, its 3,000.00 more than the non-neo. I think this guy brings in good parts, i have bought parts from him and so far no problems. So my baby would be out for a few months as i plan to do it like a project car (diff, fmic, suspension etc.) every month i would buy something and put on before the engine goes in, that way i would have a good strong/safe car at the end of the build. would take pics and step by step and post it when she's done.

Thanks again

this down in Trinidad and Tobago so that's TTD so the non neo would be 12,000.00TTD and the Neo is 15,000.00TTD, now you could get it for less but this guy brings in good engines and i think its better to put the extra to get a good engine, plus if there are any problems he does not give trould to change the parts. yeah things down in trinidad real expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

i put a rb25det s1 in my cefiro, whole time i planned to run a neo or even 2j but when it comes down to money you can only do so much.. if you stretch your budget too much you'll end up with a dodgy set-up rather than something similar thats very reliable

s1 or s2 ftw !!