SAU Community

Candy Apple Red

r33rckt

i drive a wine red s1 r33

i have seen a couple of these in a candy apple red and was wondering weather this is a cutom pain job as in sand back and start again or if there is like a... tinted overlay paint you can put on to get these kind of results?

i know its a lame picture but i was serching for the color in google images and that was the closest i could find

>

post-13428-1198230931_thumb.jpg

Edited by r33rckt

i drive a wine red s1 r33

i have seen a couple of these in a candy apple red and was wondering weather this is a cutom pain job as in sand back and start again or if there is like a... tinted overlay paint you can put on to get these kind of results?

i know its a lame picture but i was serching for the color in google images and that was the closest i could find

>

Firstly, yep, candy reds are a tops colour, especially if they have a nice flake to them.

But... candies are'nt the easiest or cheapest thing to get & is definatley a custom job. Also very hard to repair if you ever have a smash...

Basically, a Candy is an effect that you get when you spray a base colour down, usually a silver, first. Then apply coats of a transparent colour, like red, over the top, followed by the clear top coats.

Because the candy is so transparent (looks like cordial) the end colour is effected by the colour of the base you use & how many coats of the candy colour you put on, so say 5 coats will be a lighter shade, but 8 would be deeper.

If you all ready have a red car, the only advantage would be that you might not be too worried about all your closed edges, engine bay etc. You wouldnt really have to strip it back to bare metal, as long as the paint is ok.