SAU Community

S15 Vs Skyline

People are saying the S15 will get more power with fewer mods - I find that hard to believe.

I think what they mean is it will be QUICKER with fewer mods (due to being a lot lighter). Am I wrong here?

Just curious because even though the skyline engine is older, it wasn't changed much for the R34 and the technology has been tested by time. Definitely if we compare the R34 skyline to the S15 (built in same year roughly) I'd take the R34 anyday. Just a better car all round and better value for money IMO.

The RB25DET revs a lot quicker than the SR20DET and also has more torque at the lower revs. The reason you may feel otherwise is again related to the weight of the two cars - the skyline has more to pull. But as far as which engine will cope better and respond better to a 50-80% power increase - I'd put my money on the RB25. I'd expect you'd need to put more money into the SR20 to keep the same response as the RB25 once you start getting bigger turbo etc. This is where cc's make a big difference. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I agree that S15's are over-priced. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Still, if you do decide on an S15, I wouldn't say it was a stupid decision, just not what I'd choose. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love my skylines and have owned 32, 33, 34 gtst as well as 2 gtr's and an S15.

from a performance point of view the S15 shits all over the gtst (not gtr). mine was a jap spec with 184kw standard. it has a much better turbo than all the skyines including all the gtr's. on the standard S15 turbo the s15 pulled 210rwkw.. on the same dyno standard turboed gtst's couldnt match that.

so from my experience an S15 will pull atleast equal/often more power for the same mods, with a lot more weight. although the S15 is a bit harsher/rougher to drive everyday than a gtst, altough from a perfromance point of view theS15 wins hands down.

people who think that s15 are weak little 4 bangers are in the same league as bogans thinking their big block V8 will destroy every gtr on the road.

So many people saying sell sell - I say don't sell... the S15 runs a SR20 - that's a 4 cylinder 2.0 litre turbo versus a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder turbocharged Skyline... the S15 looks hideous and is piss weak... sure, some are heavily modified and yes, mods vs mods etc - but trust me, stock for stock - jump in a S15 Silvia and you will regret it - you will feel a power drop for sure.

But yes, S15 is newer and does look slick as well - I do like their interior but looks-wise, a R33 rules imo.

I would never get a S15.

If I were to upgrade, R33 GTR full stop.

??

Well I would never trade in a RB for a SR ever, the RB has soooo much more potential and is far more reliable.

The only reason I would go from a GTS25t to a GTR would be the 4WD but if you like RWD keep the GTS25t the RB25 is capable of the same numbers as an RB26.

I'm not sure if you have the same car in australia, but here we have a Pontiac Gran-Am (GM car like Holden) and the S15 has the same rear tail lights, the back end of the s15 is hideous, the front is very aggressive though.

So many people saying sell sell - I say don't sell... the S15 runs a SR20 - that's a 4 cylinder 2.0 litre turbo versus a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder turbocharged Skyline... the S15 looks hideous and is piss weak... sure, some are heavily modified and yes, mods vs mods etc - but trust me, stock for stock - jump in a S15 Silvia and you will regret it - you will feel a power drop for sure.

But yes, S15 is newer and does look slick as well - I do like their interior but looks-wise, a R33 rules imo.

I would never get a S15.

Idiot

well it depend what you wanna do too, im starting to turn to a lil drift cat, on tracks of course lol, i was think to trade in my R34 GTT which has alot of potential.. to a worked s15 which i believe are just as fun as the skyline but light and easier to handle, but i still cant decide if i should or not.. my next door neighbour owns a s15, takes it to drift all the time, he also just bought the URAS engine too, and his talking me into it atm :devil:

so mm i dont know.. :S

I would never get a S15.

lol. But hey, he drives a Skyliner.

SR's have great low down torque, something an RB will always struggle to try and acheive. so you dont :devil:

Its horses for courses, SR for Torque, RB for silky smooth reving. Ones a small sports thrasher, the other is more of a GT.

-Ryan

You need to take an S15 and GTR for a test drive (ok...that sounds pointless)

You'll know what you like more after testing them both out. Keep in mind that we're all talking sh!t about our little experiences but each car will be different depending on how modded and worn/new it feels/looks.

Drive and pick. Then smile every day :D

lol. But hey, he drives a Skyliner.

SR's have great low down torque, something an RB will always struggle to try and acheive. so you dont :blink:

Its horses for courses, SR for Torque, RB for silky smooth reving. Ones a small sports thrasher, the other is more of a GT.

-Ryan

I beg to differ.

I switched from a 2L SR20DET powered silvia (s13) to a 2.5L RB25DET (NEO) powered stagea and the torque the stagea has is better right across the revs. At low revs it puts the silvia to shame even though it is ~600kg heavier. I cant speak for the R33 RB25's - they do have a little less torque than the RB25NEO and around the same max torque as the SR20DET (weird huh).

(Just as an aside, people often compare max power between the 2 RB25 engines (r33 and r34) but the extra torque in the r34 is what makes all the difference. The VVT gives it noticeably more torque at lower revs and about 60N-m more torque above about 3200rpm - thats quite a gap).

The RB will also rev quicker than the SR, so arguably you get into the better torque range quicker, giving the feeling of more torque as well.

I feel that the SR is better suited to the lighter cars it came in, but the RB is better suited to skylines. The RB sounds better (very few people will argue that after owning both) and I believe it has more overall potential. Basically you cant compare the cars based solely on the engines anyway, if you did an engine transplant, the S15 would benefit more from the RB25 than the skyline would from the SR20. I believe the RB is more economical too but thats only compared to the older SR20's, not sure about the newer ones.

Other differences are: the redline starts 500rpm higher in the SR. Turbo has steel wheels so boost is not a problem. Stock turbo in the SR is smaller than that of the RB - which wouldn't be necessary if it had more torque than the RB...although I cant comment on how they'd compare if you put the RB turbo on it.

But all these differences dont make one a better car than the other. They drive very differently, and which one you prefer to drive will likely have nothing to do with the engine differences above. It'd be more about weight, handling and how it delivers its power :)

Edited by pixel8r

I switched from a 2L SR20DET powered silvia (s13) to a 2.5L RB25DET (NEO) powered stagea and the torque the stagea has is better right across the revs. At low revs it puts the silvia to shame even though it is ~600kg heavier. I cant speak for the R33 RB25's - they do have a little less torque than the RB25NEO and around the same max torque as the SR20DET (weird huh).

This is true. Anyone who says the low down torque is greater in an SR is seriously mistaken. I have a late '97 R33 GTST and I have driven the S15 Jap spec and the lack of torque in the SR20DET was disappointing. The power delivery is very different.

(Just as an aside, people often compare max power between the 2 RB25 engines (r33 and r34) but the extra torque in the r34 is what makes all the difference. The VVT gives it noticeably more torque at lower revs and about 60N-m more torque above about 3200rpm - thats quite a gap).

I thought VVT only kicks in on cars at higher revs which is their whole purpose - to save fuel at lower revs and have extra power when wanted at higher revs. When does VVT kick in on R34's? I'm pretty sure my R33 GTST series II has VVT but it kicks in at 5,500rpm and is very noticeable. I could be wrong but this was my understanding.

The RB will also rev quicker than the SR, so arguably you get into the better torque range quicker, giving the feeling of more torque as well.

I noticed the opposite of this. The SR definately revved out quicker compared to the RB25. This makes sense with the SR being only a 2.0L 4 pot. Weird.

I feel that the SR is better suited to the lighter cars it came in, but the RB is better suited to skylines. The RB sounds better (very few people will argue that after owning both) and I believe it has more overall potential. Basically you cant compare the cars based solely on the engines anyway, if you did an engine transplant, the S15 would benefit more from the RB25 than the skyline would from the SR20. I believe the RB is more economical too but thats only compared to the older SR20's, not sure about the newer ones.

Silvia's are quick because of their weight advantage, which inherently makes them more of a fun car to chuck around. Although, they are more dangerous in the wet aswell because of this. The SR is more fuel economical than the RB's too as the newer versions have VVT.

But all these differences dont make one a better car than the other. They drive very differently, and which one you prefer to drive will likely have nothing to do with the engine differences above. It'd be more about weight, handling and how it delivers its power >_<

Also the build quality of Skyline's across the board are much better and more solid than the Silvia and 200SX.

I like the SR20DET as it loves to be revved, but also has to be revved high to go anywhere fast which can become tiresome. On the other hand I like the RB25DET because it has noticably more low down torque than the SR and you don't have to rev it as high to achieve the same speed. Personally I'm a fan of more low down torque. It would be nice if the Skyline's didn't weigh as much as they do though. I don't think this really matters for the GTR though.

sell the 33 and buy a 34. nuff said >_<

lol yes i agree with that.....

But mate you have to go with the one that jumps out at you. There are some real nice 99 model jap spec 200sx out there now and they are a good price.....

Good luck.

Hey

was wondering i own a r33 gtst series 1, pretty close to stock. just basic stuff. (fmic, 3.5, Pod) was considering sellin my line an buyin a s15 spec-r. Was wondering would there any point to this?? an if any 1 owns a s15 how do they go??

thanks

I GOT SERIES 2 R33......IT MAY BE BORING AFTER A WHILE.THE S 15 IS SIMILAR TO THE R33 IN THAT ITS A SMALLER NISSAN.4 CYCLINDER ENGINE,LIGHTER,SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT LOOK"DONT GET THE TAIL VERSION,LOOK BAD"

GET MODS YOU WANT ON CAR FROM IMPORT,WHEELS AS WELL...........SAME PRICE.

THIS IS A DANGEROUSLY FAST CAR......ONE OF THE BEST.....BUT ITS QUICK AND THAT MAY BE ALL.

P.S GET SOME GOOD RUBBER UNDER YOU......HEHE.

The sr will develop torque early on at low rpm's because of its long stroke. This is the main advantage the sr will have over the rb engines in the low end. The increased displacement of the rb25 and 26 help with low end torque but again the long stroke is why the sr has the reputation of lots of torque down low

Is anyone here able to comment on the low-down torque of either engine in the SAME car? because I stand by my original point that the feeling of extra torque is more to do with the 250-350kg less weight than anything else. The torque figures of the rb25 (r33) and sr20 are in the same ballpark so it'd be close between them. The RB25 neo (r34) is the clear winner however.

however, you _could_ say that the s15 would feel like it has more low-end torque than the r33...fair enough. :(

Some numbers to look at:

S15 200SX (aussie-delivered):

147kw @ 6400rpm

265Nm @ 4800rpm

S15 Silvia (jap spec):

184kw @ 6400rpm (for the manual only - apparently 165kw for the auto).

275Nm @ 4800rpm

R33 skyline:

187kw @ 6400rpm

295Nm @ 4800rpm

Doesn't really say much about low revs though...

The weight difference makes the S15 a quicker car all round...although the extra weight of the R33 would make it easier to handle at higher speeds.

but the info I'm most interested in is the R34 skyline:

206kw @ 6400rpm

343Nm @ 3200rpm (plenty more torque than the SR20 and original RB25 and at much lower revs too).

I've mistakenly been basing most of my comparisons on the latter RB25 (i own a stagea s2 with the neo engine) so I cant really comment on how the RB25DET in the R33 performs. I wrongly assumed both RB25's were very similar, with the R34 one only having ~20kw more, but looking at it now - if anyone wants to know the difference between the two engines, its a nice 48Nm of torque that hits 1600rpm lower in the rev range, or to put it another way, 1600 more rpm of usable torque. Mostly thanks to improved VVT I believe :/

Edited by pixel8r

Stock for stock the S15 has far superior balance and handling. I've driven in a friends S15 many times and has better mid range torque to my R33 however the R33 has the better top end rush.

The interior of the S15 is obviously newer and nicer in my opinion.

If I was in the market, had the money and was deciding between the two I would go the S15.