SAU Community

Cam Bridges/caps Stuffed

vitz_n1

Hi everyone, i just finished putting a new head gasket on my RB25 and have run into a bitch of a problem.

Ill just explain what i have done so we're all on the same wavelength

As i was bolting the exhaust cam back into place i found that one of the caps/bridges has the bolt locked in it some how. Its the E7 cap which is the very back one on the exhaust side. I have tried EVERYTHING to get the f**ker out with no luck, ive tried WD40, silicone spray, that freeze spray stuff and no luck. Then i tried putting it in a vice and tapping the bolt out. (by this stage i was pissed off and not thinking straight) By doing this it has scored the edge of the cap and is now un-usable.

My question is, i have heard that each cap HAS to go back in the same spot in the same direction as they kinda bed in with the cam and if put back on incorrectly can seize the cam. What can i do? can i just buy one off another RB25 and use that?

Please help, this is the only thing preventing me from getting the motor in the car and running!!! . . . until i run into more problems of course :S

Cheers

Post a pic of the cap mate, how bad is it? You may be able to just file the burr off.

You are correct in saying that the caps need to go on in the exact spot - that is the exact position as to where it was machined, and to maintain the front marks and/or keep the numbers facing the same way as the front cap. Have seen way too many people get it wrong and chew out there cams and caps and spreading crap through out the engine.

worse case it can be welded and line bored, i was building and engine for a mate and his disintegrating big end bearing destroyed most of the cam and journal on one side of the sr head and i got it fixed... anything is possible.

Hold the cap in a vice with soft jaws, heat the cap up and unwind + tap the bolt using plenty of lube.

Carefully deburr it and give the bearing surface a LIGHT rub with some wet/dry and crc.

Line boring these heads is costly, (im an engine Recoér) Worst case scenario is get another cap (i have some spare) and then polish/sand the bearing surface until the cam spins - then sand down the parting face of the cap until there is around .0012" -.002" clearence. Have done it many times. Just be carefull!