You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Lots of this, and in older cars, AC is generally controlled by the AC knobs and programming, and the ECU reacts to the load. Modern cars, the ECU controls kicking the AC on/off at the AC systems request so it can be prepared for the engagement/disengagement.
    • Sadly, it won't happen. The AC controls in our cars are essentially on-off. Whereas the AC in new stuff is more a case of variable displacement compressors giving infinitely variable output.
    • I don't think anyone did. But it still made me consider. For me personally it wasn't clear whether the AC experience in my car was shit because it is an old system, or because it wasn't maintained. Looks like it may have just been the latter. I see some more modern setup being sold as an upgrade and I wonder whether it would make it drive like AC in a modern car. Where you don't really hear it or notice it. But maybe that's asking for too much as well.   Haha, stick it in a Nissan Cube and you end up with a driveable fridge I'm not doubting your experience. Just thought it was interesting to hear the AC technician's thoughts on it.  
    • Guess I should be hunting down one of these big ol ford units then for max flow ....  I've had fresh gas in mine and it was never as cold as it is now . The compressor could have been trash though, like I said I am one example with a bunch of unknowns. 
    • I don't know if anyone was seriously suggesting a retrofit of an Echo compressor in place of a more-or-less working original comp. You'd have to change the hoses at the bare minimum to do so, and that will definitely add significant cost. I had to get my hoses modded when I did the engine transplant and chose to use the Neo's AC over the even older R32 comp. That was startlingly more expensive than expected for what looks like a simple welding job, and a massive pain in the arse when it turned to have a pinhole leak in the weld too. The Frenchie's kit is for people who have next to nothing of the original system or have more than that but some of it is a bit shit and better off thrown away than salvaged. If you've got 90% of the system, you just patch it up. Mine is currently degassed because it apparently has a big leak somewhere. If I find it is the compressor, I will be looking to take my spare comp to a shop to assess and/or recondition, rather than contemplating a retrofit to anything off-brand.