SAU Community

Japanese Service History

Still haven't got the car yet, but I already got the books and 1 of the keys sent by the japanese supplier in a parcel.

My car come from Tokyo Nissan and the previous owner only had it stamped in the first year (2003), being a 1000km inspection done at about 800km, then a 5000km or 6 months done at 2000-ish km, and the latest service recorded (2004) is a 1 year service done at 3600km...

Since 2004 March there are no more service recorded, i mean WTF - it may not be a great deal but I can now only hope that the previous owner DID service the car in the last 3 years and it's done 49000km.

Otherwise 3 years of use and 46000km with no oil change would not sound too good!

The problem is the USS Yokohama's auction sheet only mentioned (circled) Yes, there is a user manual and Yes there is a service book, but didn't actually say whether the service is complete or not up to the last point prior to sale/auction.

How is yours looking? Did you get yours complete or is it a common thing that Japanese owners never bother to have their service book stamped after 1 year of warranty service?

I had no log books at all.

It's just one of those things you have to weigh up if it's an acceptable risk to you when buying the car unseen especially at auction.

The best you can do now is get your agent to take pics for you and get their impression of how the engine is. Then you wait 3 months and do the various services as soon as you get the car, probably best to coordinate with your compliance place.

If you are going to worry about it now, you will lose lots of sleep. So best to relax, and hope for the best. I'm sure you will be happy.

Concentrate instead on the paperwork you need to get it into the country, import approval, DEH waiver and such.

Yeah, I guess so, recently the japan port security is pretty tight and according to my supplier they may not be able to take further pictures prior to shipping due to this new security measures... I'm getting mine complied in Brisbane so it won't be till Feb till I see it in metal.

well it's not a good sign as lots of japanese owners do neglect servicing. :D it's not 100% a bad sign either as lots of japanese owners neglect the service book too. bit hard to say. nearly all the cars I have bought had service history. some were very comprehensive, some were patchy, some had barely anything in them after 10years! something is better than nothing though.

well, yeah, let's see how it runs when it arrives. if it's been neglected since 2004 and 3600km, the engine would've surely be almost dead. If that really happens then I guess it'll be a candidate for rebuild + a local APS twin turbo system for 350Z - but I am yet to find out if they can fit inside the V35 chassis.

My car came with no log books...

Before the car arrives in australia go and get a heap of service parts

Air filter

oil filter

oil

Diff oil

Transmission oil

fuel filter

coolant

spark plugs

Than as soon as u get the chance to take the car to the mechanic (diff and transmission oil are annoying without a hoist) and get it all done... peace of mind straight away so u know its all done!

Yes, that will be on the list... with V35 I read from another thread gotta be careful with the auto trans oil, only Nissan J-Matic, anything else will stuff the transmission up. Not sure about what diff oil to use though.