• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Australia to lose Formula One

February 02, 2008

AUSTRALIA looks likely to lose its Formula One Grand Prix.

The prestigious motor race has been held in Australia for 25 years, but current host Melbourne faces losing the event to India, Russia or Korea.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says Melbourne's contract for the race, due to be held at the Albert Park circuit in March, has little chance of being renewed beyond 2010, News Ltd reports.

"Maybe we don't want to be in Australia," he said.

"Our costs are very high in Australia and we get a lot less money. It's bloody bad for us.

"We've got quite a few places on the list which would like to have Formula One and as it seems your guy (Victorian Premier John Brumby) down there doesn't want Formula One, we can make him happy and make the other people happy."

Mr Brumby has previously raised doubts about the race, which has been steadily losing money - more than $120 million since the city lured the event from Adelaide in 1996.

Mr Ecclestone, who has not yet discussed the future of the race with Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker, said manufacturers and sponsors supported a move.

He said there would be strict conditions if Melbourne did succeed in retaining the race.

"In Melbourne, if we were to continue to be there, we would have to have a night race," he said.

He also ruled out any other Australian state hosting the race.

AAP

Source

well it makes perfect sense to me. here is a tiny country full of people whining about ducks in albert park, add to that no one else in the world can watch it unless they want to do so at 4am. also, the government doesn't want to spend too much money on it so there is no where near a big enough cheque ready for bernie and that further compounds the loss of worldwide TV revenue problem. plus we are the furtherst race travel wise from F1's centre in europe.

it's a sad state of affairs, but it would make perfect sense to go somewhere else. I hope they can reach a deal for a night race which would be awesome, but I can't see it happening. :D

well it makes perfect sense to me. here is a tiny country full of people whining about ducks in albert park, add to that no one else in the world can watch it unless they want to do so at 4am. also, the government doesn't want to spend too much money on it so there is no where near a big enough cheque ready for bernie and that further compounds the loss of worldwide TV revenue problem. plus we are the furtherst race travel wise from F1's centre in europe.

it's a sad state of affairs, but it would make perfect sense to go somewhere else. I hope they can reach a deal for a night race which would be awesome, but I can't see it happening. :D

Usually Bernie has a very finely honed sense of how much money he can extract from a race promoter. Threats are routinely issued to extract more cash.

There again he does know when to walk away from a dud deal.

Maybe if they moved the race to an interesting, permanent circuit things would improve.

Great

So if I want to attend an F1 weekend I have to good to friggin Malaysia every year to watch it.. . mind you there is NO entertainment between sessions there unlike here where there is something constantly going on whether it be Porsche Cup, V8’s or whatever.

Plus its hot and muggy as hell all time... this sux

Fkn money hungry jerk bernie

I think Bernie is justing foxing. Though i see it as a real possibility, i think level heads will prevail. Especially as crowds will be back this year with the V8s and better support classes.

What will also help govt interest is if Webber can replicate todays test times in Melbourne :banana:

I think Bernie is justing foxing. Though i see it as a real possibility, i think level heads will prevail. Especially as crowds will be back this year with the V8s and better support classes.

What will also help govt interest is if Webber can replicate todays test times in Melbourne :blink:

Foxing? Not on your life. What Bernie wants, Bernie gets and hes already said hes quite happy to give someone ( namely the Vic premier ) what he wants and take the race away.

Shame really...they should never have taken it from Adelaide in the first place...growing up around F1 was definitely a childhood highlight of mine..

We have to respect B.E because he is in the sport after all to make money and if hes not generating enough in one place, theres a lot of hungry countries out there that will give him what he wants.

Bernies comments will serve as a wake up call to Vic govt....that if they want to winge and carry on then he will happily take the circus elsewhere. Its a mdeia beat up at the moment as the govt have been saying it has to be fiscally responsible and the rate payers cant be reaching too deep into pockets.

With the V8s back, crowds will be back. RBR and Webber looking strong towards th end of last year so interest is there for race goers. Last years crowd attendance was down so dollars is on the radar for the state govt. I just see it all as being a bit of a non event at the moment and both parties are courting each other. Only i think Bernie's comments have woken up the govt that they are not really holding too many cards.

So, you could be right, but i think the event will be back on track, with the OZ Gp/Walker and co will keep things on track. Crowds will be sure to suport the event with talk like this

bwahahaha u shuld sponsor them urself :D

th fosters man !

I hope they bring it to sydney...

that would be sweet, night race in sydney around the opera house like previously planned..or around homebush/olympic park

Now THAT would be sweeetttt......

I heard that the GP has lost $135 million since it came to Melbourne, and that wasn't all lost last year, and the V8's were there every year before that AFAIK....

I think there's a fair chance we could lose our GP, and I think we can blame all the whingers/govt that are ruining it for the rest of us...

well surely it will be a big loss. I mean I alone drink about $12,000 worth of farken fosters over the 3 days.

fosters??!! :)

who in the world drinks that abomination?!

Richard, shame on you.

fosters??!! :D

who in the world drinks that abomination?!

Richard, shame on you.

if its anything like the V8's then thats all you can buy

GT's should have a good grid size for the event (after the crap total of 7 for the A1GP)

still working on trying to get some team passes :P