SAU Community

2008 F1 Season

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DJ, i take the point and its a very valid one re the combinations of drivers that McLaren have run.

But i find it interesting to look at the team and driver that wins the championship, then look at where the team mate ran that year. When Williams and Ferrari and even Benetton/Renault are winning WDC the team mate is often 3rd or higher and often win the COnstructors to boot. McLaren dont seem to do that. Maybe its just my impression, perhaps i should go back and research it better. But my gut feeling is McLaren even when they have the best driver/car combination for the season, the second seat often suffers.

It could be as simple as not having engineers that work well with a particular driver, relationships ... i dont know. Frank Williams and Patrick Head are even more hard headed and critical of drivers but even they dont have the staff turnaround that McLaren have.

I cant see Williams getting out of the mess they are in. Next year is just going to be deeper for them as i cant see Rosberg hanging around. They really need Toyota to close up shop and pool resources! Come on Williams, i want to see them back at the front!

DJ, i take the point and its a very valid one re the combinations of drivers that McLaren have run.

But i find it interesting to look at the team and driver that wins the championship, then look at where the team mate ran that year. When Williams and Ferrari and even Benetton/Renault are winning WDC the team mate is often 3rd or higher and often win the COnstructors to boot. McLaren dont seem to do that. Maybe its just my impression, perhaps i should go back and research it better. But my gut feeling is McLaren even when they have the best driver/car combination for the season, the second seat often suffers.

It could be as simple as not having engineers that work well with a particular driver, relationships ... i dont know. Frank Williams and Patrick Head are even more hard headed and critical of drivers but even they dont have the staff turnaround that McLaren have.

I cant see Williams getting out of the mess they are in. Next year is just going to be deeper for them as i cant see Rosberg hanging around. They really need Toyota to close up shop and pool resources! Come on Williams, i want to see them back at the front!

I guess with regard to the second driver the development of the car plays an important role in defining their competitiveness. There are loads of examples (look how the FW14B affected Patrese relative to Mansell) but I will try & keep it to one.

Schumacher & Herbert at Benetton. Now I am a card carrying member of the Johnny Herbert fan club. He recovered from an awful crash & some really ugly foot/ankle/leg damage to return to top line F1. When he was at Lotus with Hakkinen they were both competitive & equally matched. But at Benetton he struggled against Schumacher. Why? Well mostly because the car & the development of the car was tailored towards Schumacher. Now that it isn't a criticism, just an observation. No team would do otherwise. But it meant that Herbert drove a car not tailored to his preferences, whereas Schumacher did not. And it showed.

For the best result go back to 1984. Lauda bested Prost by half a point to win the WDC. Both were Mclaren drivers.

As far as teams/engineers getting on it is a funny thing. Competitiveness helps (eg Piquet loved life at Brabham, didn't at Lotus). But it is not always the whole answer. The best example is possibly the late & much lamented Denny Hulme. He won his world championship at Brabham but was always happiest driving for McLaren.

It may just be about motivation. Getting your arse handed to you every fortnight by your team mate can make motivation a rather difficult commodity to find. Berger dealt with by realising that he was in the present of greatness. Some of Jimmy Clarks team mates did likewise.

I too would love to see a Wiliams renaissance. But in the absence of a works engine deal & the attendend financial benefits I can't see it happenning. Which is a big shame. Maybe I will console myself with a limited edition Kozuke cap.

I guess with regard to the second driver the development of the car plays an important role in defining their competitiveness. There are loads of examples (look how the FW14B affected Patrese relative to Mansell) but I will try & keep it to one.

Schumacher & Herbert at Benetton. Now I am a card carrying member of the Johnny Herbert fan club. He recovered from an awful crash & some really ugly foot/ankle/leg damage to return to top line F1. When he was at Lotus with Hakkinen they were both competitive & equally matched. But at Benetton he struggled against Schumacher. Why? Well mostly because the car & the development of the car was tailored towards Schumacher. Now that it isn't a criticism, just an observation. No team would do otherwise. But it meant that Herbert drove a car not tailored to his preferences, whereas Schumacher did not. And it showed.

For the best result go back to 1984. Lauda bested Prost by half a point to win the WDC. Both were Mclaren drivers.

As far as teams/engineers getting on it is a funny thing. Competitiveness helps (eg Piquet loved life at Brabham, didn't at Lotus). But it is not always the whole answer. The best example is possibly the late & much lamented Denny Hulme. He won his world championship at Brabham but was always happiest driving for McLaren.

It may just be about motivation. Getting your arse handed to you every fortnight by your team mate can make motivation a rather difficult commodity to find. Berger dealt with by realising that he was in the present of greatness. Some of Jimmy Clarks team mates did likewise.

I too would love to see a Wiliams renaissance. But in the absence of a works engine deal & the attendend financial benefits I can't see it happenning. Which is a big shame. Maybe I will console myself with a limited edition Kozuke cap.

Kazuki.

Sorry dood. I cant spell any of the Finn's names either. :D

Lucky Rosberg is German. Which occured to me when the commentators were banging on about Frank Williams tribute to the Territorial Army during the British GP. He has that & a Japanese & a German driver. Hmmm.

Yeah, as unreliable as the motors were, Williams should of stuck with cosworth..

at least that way, one engine maker supplying one team, Cosworth could/would very well of built the motor to fit the Williams chassis perfectly, Cosworth would cater to William's needs and would provide full works support. Where as the Toyota job is a compremise, Toyota's interests will foremost lie with their own works team, with any customer agreement being a non-primary priority.. Hence, Williams suffers..

Sorry dood. I cant spell any of the Finn's names either. :D

Lucky Rosberg is German. Which occured to me when the commentators were banging on about Frank Williams tribute to the Territorial Army during the British GP. He has that & a Japanese & a German driver. Hmmm.

lol, me neither.

Who can?

Yeah, as unreliable as the motors were, Williams should of stuck with cosworth..

at least that way, one engine maker supplying one team, Cosworth could/would very well of built the motor to fit the Williams chassis perfectly, Cosworth would cater to William's needs and would provide full works support. Where as the Toyota job is a compremise, Toyota's interests will foremost lie with their own works team, with any customer agreement being a non-primary priority.. Hence, Williams suffers..

The motors weren't the problem. It was the rest of the Williams kit attached to it.

Cosworth could doubtless do an excellent job. The problem is who would be signing the cheques to pay for it all.

With regard to Toyota the motors themselves cost a fair bit of money. With the tight regulations & the homologation requirements I wouldn't think there is much difference between the factory stuff & what Williams get.

Wow news just in!!! Shumey quit because he didn't want massa to be unnemployed!!!!! ..........ARRGGHHH.......maybe if they fired Massa we'll have shuumey back...........I can alwasy hope.

Still, how nice was he to quit just to save a friends career.

Wow news just in!!! Shumey quit because he didn't want massa to be unnemployed!!!!! ..........ARRGGHHH.......maybe if they fired Massa we'll have shuumey back...........I can alwasy hope.

Still, how nice was he to quit just to save a friends career.

lol yeah, i wouldnt read too much into that

Phaark, so much hate. :(

There are something like six or seven biographies.

Only one of which was in any way authorised.

So maybe other than blaming Hamilton people may look at all those cashing in on his fame.

hahaha, the peoples champion my arse! unless your 'people' are spoilt, rich, english wankers. his dad is just as bad and has zero talent for anything at all, except for cashing in those meal tickets. at least lewis can steer a car.

He is simply a victim of his success. Funny enough i am coming around ... slowly. But his comments about the triathalon was a backwards step, and his dismissal of his accident in Canada annoyed me, but appreciate it was in the past and had to concentrate on looking forward. The way he come back at Silverstone with the result was impressive as it woudl have been easy to let all the negativity steam roll his season.

also, just on the people's champion. champion of what? he hasn't won a WDC. karting champion? badminton champion? snooker champion? or just a champion tugger.