SAU Community

My engine is really sick (video)

Guest veilsideS14

Guest veilsideS14

Here is some background information. A couple days ago, I was driving my car through some rural roads (off boost driving) when I noticed that it was starting to get really hot. Eventually, it got really hot and overheated. I pulled over to the side of the road and called a tow-truck to have my car hauled the rest of the way home.

I hadn't had this issue before so I thought it was either the water pump or the thermostat. I replaced the thermostat because it was the lesser of the two items. I filled it back up with coolant and started it up.

At idle, the car sounds great. It doesn't puff any wacky smoke or anything. But when you rev it up a little bit, it makes some weird clacking/knocking noise. I've included a video with audio so all can see it first hand.

http://24.163.137.145/engine.wmv

Any suggestions? My engine is really sick

Guest veilsideS14

Nope, no smoke. I thought it could have been a head gasket issue as well but there is no white smoke coming from the exhaust. My next step is to take the plugs out to make sure there is nothing funky happening that I'm not seeing.

I just think it's really crazy that all of a sudden, it is making this aweful noise. I'm soooo sad for my engine :)

Guest veilsideS14
Originally posted by CerealKiller

could you possibly get a vid of it just idling? it might help a bit more.

Actually, if you can believe it or not, at idle, it sounds perfectly fine. I fired the engine up and let it idle for a while as I was trying to circulate coolant through my new thermostat. It wasn't untill I revved the engine a bit that I noticed it was making this funny noise.

Guest veilsideS14
Originally posted by SKYLINEGTR

no smoke thats a good sign make sure all belts have no play its hard do pinpoint it thow from the video guess it will have to come down to equation thing,is it boosting ?

I will check the belts. Most of them are brand new but I'll take a peek at them anyway, just to make sure.

I haven't driven it since the overheating incident so it's not been boosting yet.

Guest veilsideS14
Originally posted by CerealKiller

what about a clip of it say just below boost (constant not reving) - as in a 5 sec clip of it at 2,500rpm

I can do that. I will take a video and post it later today. Thanks for all the help and concern guys.

You really think it could be a piston issue though? Like it's slapping the valves or something even worse?

Guest veilsideS14
Originally posted by EnricoPalazzo

sounds like piston slap or somethin. Doesnt sound nice at all.

What would cause this?

Whatever it is, I wouldn't be turning it on and revving it anymore.

Water pump sounds possible, if theres plenty of (non water) oil in the thing then that would supposedly rule out internals, perhaps its something on the belt.. get it checked out... damn thats a horrible sound :D

Dosen't sound like piston slap to me, that will occur on idle

Guest Dragon
Originally posted by Demon Dave

i'm no expert but, if the car is idling OK and not smoking, it sounds like the pistons/cams etc are fine. It could be a serious problem with the water pump? That might also expain the overheating....

I would have to agree with Dave here, if it started to overheat, then get worse, now sounds like this, but no smoke, no blowby, then it sounds like the waterpump has spat the dummy and is scraping against the block.

I'd start the engine, with the rad cap off, and check to see if there is ANY water flow.

Is there oil pressure? A stuffed oil pump will cause an engine to overheat, resulting in chewed out bearings.

The sound I hear on the video sounds like big ends/little ends with NO oil!

I have cooked an engine with a perfectly working cooling system through lack of oil pressure. The result, stuffed to bearings big time. Overheated the same, like yours, blew coolent out, then sounded like yours the next day.

It can happen.

Check oil pressure.

Check oil pump.

Check water pump.

Pull rocker cover off and check to see if the metal has gone a temp colour. Also start while rocker cover off and see if any oil is making it's way into the head.

To me, it doesn't sound good. :D

Sorry. Good luck.

Or ...

if the Sr20 has it an indler bearing for the cam belt... it could be that.

The cam belt had been chaged but the bearing hadn't.

I had that happen to my RB20.

It was making noise... and then one day let go.

And then ... bye bye to all 24 valves as the pistons smashed them all up. That cost a farking fortune!

Guest veilsideS14

Someone suggested to me that it could be clutch/flywheel chatter as well. I've got an OS Giken twin plate clutch in my car right now. I've never heard this before so I'm not sure why it would show up just now but that was another opinion being thrown around.