SAU Community

Double Demerit Points

Draen

The Qld Transport helpline is back on the 7th jan, but Im just wondering if anyone can confirm if double demerit points existed on the 30th? I was under the impression that in Qld, at least, it only applies to the public holidays?

12 days of double demerits over Xmas New Year

Double demerits apply for speeding and seatbelt offences from Friday 21 December to Tuesday 1 January inclusive.

THIS IS NATIONAL

Are you sure about that?

Its either I have 2 points left, or I've lost my license! :worship:

Edit: Actually its not as bad as I thought. I have an option of driving with 1 point for 1 year vs losing my license for 3 months. Will have to wait and see what I get in the mail.

Edited by Draen

Thanks dave, I was reading that today and had no idea what the qld dd system was.

A 42yo friend of mine just got done for 20kph over limit in NSW [1st speeding offence] overtaking a semi which was doing 80-85 in a 100 zone on straight road, his defence will be what do i do??? over take him at the same speed ? Even overtaking him at 100kph is a little dangerous i would think, better to get out and around quickly and continue with no trouble then spending a few more seconds on the wrong side of the road. I really don't think it will hold up in court though. :P

QLD does have a double demerits system, but it is different. We have never had seasonal double demerits.

If you are caught speeding 20kmh and over twice within a 12 month period, on the 2nd offence you loose double the points.

Have to disagree with you Dave, a mate of mine last year was in the same situation that draen's in now and it turned out that it was double points double fines it was his first offense and he was only on his p's got done for 15 over. I sware i saw it on the TV b4 xmas again that is double points double fines, but i have a feelin that it ends new years day, just ring up the local cop shop and ask them if they are issuing the fines they surely will know.

well i looked this up on the qld transport website and found NO evidence of the double demerit points being used in qld over public holidays.

they use the system dangerous daveo said.

also another thing people seem to do is not pay fines until they are due so that they can drive around for a while longer. however should that fine cause you to lose your last point and then you get caught speeding, etc in this time you can actually be fined for driving while unliscenced, as the points are back dated to the time of the offence, not when you pay the fine.