gtr_z

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had a few breakins in adelaide lately, is it still available? or where do i look elsware?

Too right. Had my S2 stolen the other day.

A quick testimonial follows...

It's a pretty nasty feeling, walking out from work on a Friday, to find not a stagea in your parking spot, but a weather strip. Straight away you can guess what happened.

So straight away I called work security; they were absolutely $#(*@ useless. I have absolutely no faith in them now whatsoever. Among other things, I had to call two different companies, and I had to explain to them where the carpark actually was! It is right behind the building where I work. And I work in a HOSPITAL. For Chr!st's sake. Rapidly losing hope...

Then I remembered the GPS tracker which I had installed some months ago; a couple of sms's later and I had GPS CO-ORDINATES OF MY CAR'S LOCATION. That was absolutely amazing; I can't tell you. I also got a speed of 0km/h reported so I knew it was stationary. I called the cops and they were on the scene within about 20 minutes; there was a busted ignition lock, and broken weather shield; estimate a conservative $500 worth of damage? I was bloody lucky. Some fingerprints were found (I had happened to have cleaned and polished/waxed the car the night before, and I never touch the glass etc. with my fingers... felt like I was doing all the work here!) The Police were impressed with the tracker's job, and price. "Gee that ~$250 was worth it, wasn't it?". It was, it paid off about 100 times over, literally.

Cheers again gtr_z for an awesome unit about $500 below the retail for something like this. Honestly guys 'n' gals, my S2 is standard except for some second-hand rims that are worth less than half of what most guys are putting on their stags, and I am worried about theft. Imagine if your stag is modded, even seriously modded... you could've invested easily twice as much as me. Or more... get one of these units, and hide it in your stag! Then it is only an sms away... YMMV.

/end rant :thumbsup:

Edited by DaveB

Wow, good story.

You should have had it wired into your alarm (if you had one?) so you would have known as soon as your window was smashed.

Just a Q,... when you got the sms with the coordinates, how did you then locate your car? Did you duck back to work and use googlemaps, or grabbed a street directory from someone? Or were the cops able to use the coordinate themselves?

Wow, good story.

You should have had it wired into your alarm (if you had one?) so you would have known as soon as your window was smashed.

Just a Q,... when you got the sms with the coordinates, how did you then locate your car? Did you duck back to work and use googlemaps, or grabbed a street directory from someone? Or were the cops able to use the coordinate themselves?

Two issues with wiring it into the alarm: I didn't have one, and I accidentally left my phone in the car. So I had to go home and use another phone. I looked up the gps co-ordinates myself and then called the police straight away; I just gave them the incident number and the GPS co-ordinates, and they were able to handle the rest.

I did notice though that street directories have lat/long printed in them; I could've I suppose used something like that if I was stuck.

I asked one of the officers if they could use google maps in their car and was told that base would do it, and they'd let them know the location (I don't think some squad cars have google maps :devil:

DAveB

Im also very keen, sounds like a great idea, I have a great alarm but If you are too far away from the car to hear it then its not much good. No one else cares when they hear alarms going off these days either.

Can you PM me with details if this is still going?

I have a newer & better version now (photo attached, also available in black) with 3 +/- inputs for car alarm alerts/triggers and 1 output with a relay for remote immobilisation as well as GPS last position feature in case it loses the GPS signal (eg. if taken inside a deep underground carpark it will give you the GPS coordinates of the carpark's entrance). As usual, the unit and all the external antennas can be hidden under pretty much anything in your car since they do not need any direct view of the sky.

There's also another type of unit going around which I would not recommend - the all-in-one GPS GSM alarm unit with remotes, this sort of unit is more common and older. It's an all in one car security system without 2/3 point immobilisers (it only has 1 relay that won't even get activated when you press the remote), no all black wiring and/or other features, the security measures are poor and do not meet any standards for a car alarm system. So I decided to get a decent approved car alarm system such as Mongoose m80s that has 3-point immobilisers, all black wiring, code-hopping remotes and other features that meet Australian standards and then added the tracker with its alert features on it. Much better package this way. If I used this all-in-one car alarm system, I wouldn't be able to install a proper and proven car alarm system from a known brand. There's also a cheaper unit with a weaker and less sensitive internal GPS antenna built-in.

post-42228-1227625079_thumb.jpg