SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I think I posted this before but, you won't get better prices on Whey and other things in bulk here;

http://www.professionalwhey.com/catalog/

They buy the stuff straight from Fontera, so it's the highest quality. They also supply the natural flavouring additives so you can DIY your own recipe of powered flavour (a big down side to commersial stuff).

All you really need for a post workout recovery drink is the WPI and some dextrose (go get some brewers dextrose at $2kg).

Everything else you are just paying for the words " Anabol --- Mega --- Ripped --- etc." and usually this costs another $50kg.

Maybe grab some Cenovis zinc plus from Coles for $6 (100 tabs) . Some additional zinc in the diet does boost the testosterone levels for weight trainers. The proven science behind this is old. The Cenovis brand has the proven mixture ratios of zinc / magnesium and B6 ( importantly not in sulfate forms).

Funny how the testosterone boosters all have zinc in them isn't it? It's the only part that has any effect. Either take this or get some extra zinc into your diet, there is info on the web about how much to take, usually linked to various weight training / sports study. The reccomended two tabs on the Cenovis bottle a day work for me.

I usually just rub zinc on my nose before working out, I find it works almost as well as sunscreen :/

Online has some good prices on specific supplements but I just checked a couple of those sites and as far as whey isolates go they don't come up much better in price than my Ultimate Nutrition isolate from GNC which is $120 @ 4.5kg. It's not shit either!

Finally read through most of this thread, the inaccuracies are overwhelming!

In relation to supplements... don't waste your money... if your diet is useless then protein shakes are the only way to go... unless your full time job revolves around bodybuilding then don't bother getting the fancy isolates, a concentrate will do just fine or a mix... apart from that nothing else is worth getting... unless you can get steroids and learn to use them effectively (most go overboard with addiction)

Also there is no one method of achieving a desirable body. Everyone is different, different blood types, different thermogenetics. The point is to find out where your body stands. There are very few methods which work for EVERYONE. The simple 'burn more then you consume' method is simply but... doesn't always work. Don't waste your money on pills and time on people who think they know what they're doing. Every pro body builder/sprinter etc use different methods, there is no universal key.

Trick is to try all types for about 3 weeks, test your outcome. Don't get caught up with the ideology that the bigger you are the stronger you are... very wrong, i mean look at power lifters... some are very small yet would outdo any bodybuilder.

End of the day, we know very little about how the body really works, theories are theories. Some say isolate body parts... some say intense full body workouts... some say low-interest gravity cardio... some say walk,sprint,repeat. They work for some, and not for others... and diet is a whole other spectrum... but one thing I can say for sure is how little supplements aid all of this..

Agree 100%. Even if dieting and training in the same / a similar fashion to a person of desired body shape you can only get so close to them in terms of muscle shape because bone structure will start to interfere plus the way you do the exercises will be slightly different.

Lots of people are not in the gym to get stronger (most). They don't plan strength increases, they are just fixated on the mirror . The girl would lift more than most simply because she is training for strength so is aiming at something you can measure rather than something you can't.

That girl wouldn't be on anything either. 150kg is a great effort for her size/weight (small) but, it's nothing special.

I'm not that strong but in the past my best Squat is 235kg on the bar (was about 84kg at that time, I'm now about 102kg) for an easy 10 reps. It was pretty cruisy but, being 6'3 and having long legs, balance was the hard bit for me. The squat is a rather tricky move with any kind of weight above body weight. There are other moves that are a much more forgiving at high weight and will give you the same muscle development. Ironically the squat is an excellent excersise for helping build stabilising strength (better muscle control) for things like weak knees (a common excuse for avoiding them). Kept at sensible weights and without going deep you can do things like squats with eyes closed.

lol'd

+ 1

theres some hilarious sh!t in this thread but this takes the cake

+ 1

theres some hilarious sh!t in this thread but this takes the cake

Because I did the weight? Ok, maybe I'm reasonably strong :D Mind you I was doing the wimps version (to 90deg only, so not real deep).

At the time I did about 520kg on the hack squat machine, 640kgs on the leg press, 480kg on donkey calf machine thing. Got more of a workout loading/unloading plates. Wasn't doing anything to speak of on the upper body at all. At the time it was about trying to get into some sprinting , which went nowhere really, probably beers fault.

Photo of me from back in the day, looking constipated and wearing the most fashionable clothes and hair cut possible. A relatively light 440kg on the hack squat. A few minutes previous to the photo a well meaning huge body builder bloke (took the photo) tried to warn me that I had put too much weight on the device and I might hurt myself. I proceeded to tell him it was only a warmup and that there was no real danger if it was too heavy as you can't get it off the rack if it is. He hung around to see if I would get squashed but, when that didn't happen he proceeded to ask me what sort of gear I was taking. I told him I drank beer....good gear that stuff :P

hacksquat440kg.jpg

That should be good for some more LOL's :D

Edited by rev210

For those in Sydney...

Check out Supplements101

Family business opened by my friend's brother-in-law not so long ago. He is an expert in the field and is happy to help with your supplement program, gym program, and dieting.

www.supplements101.com.au

hey guys, havnt read any of this thread at all..just wondering anyone heard of ISO sensation protien powder, i bought it the other day..any good or am i taking shit?

also, any cheap places in melbourne to buy a bench press + weights...

anther thing, does anyone have a good diet plan..thanks

Because I did the weight? Ok, maybe I'm reasonably strong :P Mind you I was doing the wimps version (to 90deg only, so not real deep).

At the time I did about 520kg on the hack squat machine, 640kgs on the leg press, 480kg on donkey calf machine thing. Got more of a workout loading/unloading plates. Wasn't doing anything to speak of on the upper body at all. At the time it was about trying to get into some sprinting , which went nowhere really, probably beers fault.

Photo of me from back in the day, looking constipated and wearing the most fashionable clothes and hair cut possible. A relatively light 440kg on the hack squat. A few minutes previous to the photo a well meaning huge body builder bloke (took the photo) tried to warn me that I had put too much weight on the device and I might hurt myself. I proceeded to tell him it was only a warmup and that there was no real danger if it was too heavy as you can't get it off the rack if it is. He hung around to see if I would get squashed but, when that didn't happen he proceeded to ask me what sort of gear I was taking. I told him I drank beer....good gear that stuff :banana:

hacksquat440kg.jpg

That should be good for some more LOL's :iluvff:

look the reason i have trouble believing you is this:

http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.p...&Itemid=174

i assume ^ thats the country records and even if it isnt its still a good guideline

you stated that at 84kg you lifted 235kg squat for 10 easy reps. The record holder is 235kg for one rep at 90kg weight limit. You would have had the strongest squat in the country at that weight by a fkn mile. so yes i do find it hard to believe. I think perhaps the key to this may be the depth you were squatting, i know ppl can 1/4 squat an absolute fk load in comparison to there normal squat. also i hope we are talking about real squatting not some machine shit.

look dont get me wrong I would love for you to prove me wrong but being one of the strongest squatters in the country without knowing it still a tough cookie to swallow. But if you did do it then get out there and compete cause you'd be a fking beast

look the reason i have trouble believing you is this:

http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.p...&Itemid=174

i assume ^ thats the country records and even if it isnt its still a good guideline

you stated that at 84kg you lifted 235kg squat for 10 easy reps. The record holder is 235kg for one rep at 90kg weight limit. You would have had the strongest squat in the country at that weight by a fkn mile. so yes i do find it hard to believe. I think perhaps the key to this may be the depth you were squatting, i know ppl can 1/4 squat an absolute fk load in comparison to there normal squat. also i hope we are talking about real squatting not some machine shit.

look dont get me wrong I would love for you to prove me wrong but being one of the strongest squatters in the country without knowing it still a tough cookie to swallow. But if you did do it then get out there and compete cause you'd be a fking beast

This was about 7 yrs ago ,I did "free weight" squat for the 235kg . Thats the weight actually on the bar. It was one of those olympic style bars (I have no idea what they weigh, maybe 6kg?).

As I said, only down to 90 deg, so not deep enough to count as some record. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a couple of reps off at that weight going full range tho'.

I went quite deep on the machines like hack squat (pictured) and leg press because you have less to worry about. Screw up a squat ( I never had a spotter) and you can pay for it for a long time. There's no falling over backwards/forwards on the leg press :P

Record wise you got the wrong web link by the way ; http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.p...d&Itemid=34

Even at that weight doing it full range, wouldn't have made me one of the strongest squatters in the country. I would be classed as 90kg division. The sub 67.5kg class record dude kicks my ass at 285kg. On the world stage of records it's not even remotely good even for a sub 75kg girl. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/165-women

I have always trained for strength improvement only and I don't waste my time in the gym when I go with 'overtraining' programs, in fact some months I would be lucky to get a total of 1 minute of total time lifting in a month (which is optimimum for that month for maximum gains) . At the moment I am having a go at upper body. Doing one arm rows with dumbels is the favorite at the minute. So far I am doing 85kg dumbel for 3-5reps each side . Great compound excersise. Everything has to get strong along the way. Grip especially, I don't use straps, so you find just holding the weight is a great workout in itself. This is another weight I recently have copped flack about lifting so I thought mentioning it might get some extra LOL's :banana:

Edited by rev210

you say that the sub 67.5kg guy squatted 285kg. this would have still been entirely possible for you at that time. You say you had 235kg on the bar. an olympic size barbell weighs 20kg (not 7) making it 255kg add to that the fact you did TEN reps, your 1 rep max would be significantly higher not to mention he was probably equipped (squat suit wraps etc) and your 1 rep max would have been huge. sure that guy was in a lighter weight class but your missing the point entirely, they specifically train the 3 lifts, whereas you sound as if you are just the regular gym goer, therefore your potential would have been even bigger. im not saying you would have broken a record but your claim suggests you would still have been one of the strongest in the country.

Hey guys just a quick question...

What can i buy thats fairly cheap that stops me getting muscle fatigue i only work out a little at home ie press ups, sit ups, calf raises, squats and running i use no weights at all.

After 8 months of doing 5x25 press ups i still feel tired as i get to say 15 which surely isnt right after doing so many for so long??

Anyway can anyone recommend anything that may help thats relatively cheap, i aint into bodybuilding i just wanna keep fit.

my workout is...

mon 5x25 press ups and 5x30 sit ups.

tues 3k run

wed 5x30 squats and 5x100 calf raises

thurs 5x30 sit ups

fri 5x25 press ups and 5x30 sit ups.

Not the best/biggest routine but surely i should be finding it easier the longer i have been doing em??

What can i buy thats fairly cheap that stops me getting muscle fatigue i only work out a little at home ie press ups, sit ups, calf raises, squats and running i use no weights at all.

After 8 months of doing 5x25 press ups i still feel tired as i get to say 15 which surely isnt right after doing so many for so long??

Anyway can anyone recommend anything that may help thats relatively cheap, i aint into bodybuilding i just wanna keep fit.

my workout is...

tues 3k run

thurs 5x30 sit ups

Not the best/biggest routine but surely i should be finding it easier the longer i have been doing em??

Any well known protein shake will help you with muscle recovery, but I think it will be a waste on you because you are only doing body resistance exercises. You will either crap it out or gain the wrong kind of weight from it.

Looking at your exercise program, you are only doing body resistance exercise which really shouldn't be taxing on the body particularly if you have been doing it for a while. There could be a number of reasons why you're plateauing. You might have a poor diet; you might be doing the exercises incorrectly; leaving too large breaks between sets; exercising at the wrong time of day; not enough sleep. Also note that body resistance will only take you so far in terms of strength and ability to get through the reps because your body weight is a static as opposed to being able to increase weight at the gym. However, you should still be increasing sets/reps or doing the exercise until failure as that is where you see muscle growth and therefore increased ability to get through the exercise. One thing I did notice is that your program is pretty poorly spaced out. May I suggest the following modification:

Mon - 3km run, squats, calves

Tue - 6x25 press ups, situps

Wed - 3km run, squats, calves

Thu - 6x25 press ups, situps

Fri - 3km run, squats, calves

If you just want to keep fit (not chasing a muscular or athletic body) then I recommend forgetting about the pushups/squats/raises/situps. Just run - nothing but running. You're currently only doing this once a week, but if you were to do 3km each day (time yourself too, feedback is very important) then you would notice a huge increase in fitness. Running is the biggest compound exercise there is, in that it exercises almost every part of your body to an extent...obviously with 90% focus on the legs. So you can do away with with all the muscle specific exercises unless you want to be stronger in those areas (e.g. for competition running or a sport) or look muscular.

you say that the sub 67.5kg guy squatted 285kg. this would have still been entirely possible for you at that time. You say you had 235kg on the bar. an olympic size barbell weighs 20kg (not 7) making it 255kg add to that the fact you did TEN reps, your 1 rep max would be significantly higher not to mention he was probably equipped (squat suit wraps etc) and your 1 rep max would have been huge. sure that guy was in a lighter weight class but your missing the point entirely, they specifically train the 3 lifts, whereas you sound as if you are just the regular gym goer, therefore your potential would have been even bigger. im not saying you would have broken a record but your claim suggests you would still have been one of the strongest in the country.

I still don't know about the strongest in the country bit. :) The squat was an unusual one for me at the time. I was afraid to go heavier than 235kg so I just kept adding a rep or two (no spotter and just plain chicken hence also not going deeper than 90deg angle on the legs). The bar used to bend lots (looked cool) and my traps had a fairly long standing deep purple bruise line from that excersise for a long time. I did have a number of people spectate and tell me I was insane when I was doing the lifts at the gym. I though they were just being nice and providing encouragement, appart from the blokes who tried to prevent me from even trying to lift it.

I didn't realise the bar weighed that much either?

Still, my training in no way resembled the gym-goer. Mine is 3-5 rep with some variation to things like static holds /partials and very rarely nervous system & plyometric training with things like really light jump squats. I was in and out of the gym in 15min. The time mostly made up of having a chat to someone and loading and unloading weights.

Back then I would do a leg training once a week /fortnight at most 3 sets in total (usually 2 or even 1), not of each motion ,just total. Usually I would not do excercises that did the same muscles in the same week. Would do nothing at all (including cardio) for 3 days after a lifting day. I would measure my lift improvements and if I was flat on progress usually vary the rest period. I found the more I lifted the longer the optimum rest periods became. This wound up being about a month. I did a fair bit of reading at the library in the sport science section at the uni before I started the program I ended up using.

I train measuring strength /performance and then modify / examine variables. Diet (are you eating enough to grow the extra muscle to lift?). Rest intervals (ensuring training intervals are long enough for fully recovery + gain, too long a period is not something to worry about). Training intensity ( did you overtrain during the session in terms of nervous or muscle fatigue). Sounds really involved but, it's a super slack program.

Edited by rev210

Any well known protein shake will help you with muscle recovery, but I think it will be a waste on you because you are only doing body resistance exercises. You will either crap it out or gain the wrong kind of weight from it.

Looking at your exercise program, you are only doing body resistance exercise which really shouldn't be taxing on the body particularly if you have been doing it for a while. There could be a number of reasons why you're plateauing. You might have a poor diet; you might be doing the exercises incorrectly; leaving too large breaks between sets; exercising at the wrong time of day; not enough sleep. Also note that body resistance will only take you so far in terms of strength and ability to get through the reps because your body weight is a static as opposed to being able to increase weight at the gym. However, you should still be increasing sets/reps or doing the exercise until failure as that is where you see muscle growth and therefore increased ability to get through the exercise. One thing I did notice is that your program is pretty poorly spaced out. May I suggest the following modification:

Mon - 3km run, squats, calves

Tue - 6x25 press ups, situps

Wed - 3km run, squats, calves

Thu - 6x25 press ups, situps

Fri - 3km run, squats, calves

If you just want to keep fit (not chasing a muscular or athletic body) then I recommend forgetting about the pushups/squats/raises/situps. Just run - nothing but running. You're currently only doing this once a week, but if you were to do 3km each day (time yourself too, feedback is very important) then you would notice a huge increase in fitness. Running is the biggest compound exercise there is, in that it exercises almost every part of your body to an extent...obviously with 90% focus on the legs. So you can do away with with all the muscle specific exercises unless you want to be stronger in those areas (e.g. for competition running or a sport) or look muscular.

Ahh so you reckon the key thing here is running?? i can do that!! i thought it was spaced out enough to let the muscles recover hence differant excerises on differant days...

After reading that i think my problem sounds like its down to space between reps ie 10 or 20 minutes (when maybe a few minutes instead is correct) before the next rep plus my diet isnt the best tbh...

I shall try the one you have suggested for a few weeks with reps within 1 or 2 minutes then, and see how i go, is it wise to have the weekend too recover do you think??

And by increasing to this newer routine would i benefit from any kind of protein shakes etc or would they be a waste, i dont want to get into doing weights just body resistance for now and running more...

And thanks again :)

If anyone is looking for a suppliment supplier, i have recently been using "staunch" at oxley. The boys their know there stuff and only stock decent brands. Resonably priced as well.

Just thought id share.

my workout is...

tues 3k run

thurs 5x30 sit ups

Hey man, I used to just to bodyweight pushups didn't feel like I was gettting anywhere fast. Try adding some weight in a backpack or something and do them for a month instead. Then try doing a normal bodyweight routine and you should find them much easier. Don't know if many ppl do this but I find it works.

Yeah that link is good but i dont know what to buy or what i would need???

Yeah may try the weight but i think first i am gonna do my reps way closer to together as opposed to over and hr, now gonna get em done within 10 minutes well hopefully....