SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I've stopped squatting for 3 weeks after straining my lower back when on the way up at 120kg (4-5th rep). Scary shit I must say. Probably because I'm quite tall and have shit flexibility. Guess it doesn't help that I'm still squatting below parallel.

Gonna have to look at my form perhaps and start with lighter weights again

I would love to be able to squat properly (ass to ground style), but my flexibility doesnt allow it at the moment and my right knee doesnt seem to be a huge fan of trying to go lower than parrallel either.

Can you do a bodyweight (no bar) squat to the ground? If so, start with a really light weight. I'm quite tall and inflexible, therefore surprised at how low I could go with it at a light weight. Not much you can do about knees disagreeing though.

My legs feel amazing today; squats how I missed thee.

Can you do a bodyweight (no bar) squat to the ground? If so, start with a really light weight. I'm quite tall and inflexible, therefore surprised at how low I could go with it at a light weight. Not much you can do about knees disagreeing though.

This. Obviously should be read as "Can you do a bodyweight squat to the ground WITH CORRECT FORM?"

Since this is almost certainly a rhetorical question, the point is that you should do what Birds has done and go back to a very light weight squatting ass to hells, and work the weight up slowly from there.

:thumbsup:

It's not as mentally disappointing as I thought it would be, dropping back the weight. Knowing that you're doing the exercise properly and the soreness afterwards overpowers it. And I feel like it won't be long before I'll be back at 100kg x 10 anyway.

:thumbsup:

It's not as mentally disappointing as I thought it would be, dropping back the weight. Knowing that you're doing the exercise properly and the soreness afterwards overpowers it. And I feel like it won't be long before I'll be back at 100kg x 10 anyway.

Given my current situation with deadlifts, I know exactly what you mean :P

I've got deadlifts today. Did 90kg no worries at all last week. No pain, hardly even any muscle soreness. Focussing heaps on locking in my core and keeping a STRAIGHT back (as opposed to almost trying to arch lower back backward) is working well. Will see how 100kg goes today. Last time I deadlifted 100kg for 5 reps, I couldn't get back onto my feet immediately after.

I would love to be able to squat properly (ass to ground style), but my flexibility doesnt allow it at the moment and my right knee doesnt seem to be a huge fan of trying to go lower than parrallel either.

point your toes out a little bit and concentrate on forcing your knees outward... its when your knees cave in that it puts a lot of pressure on them... also (apparently) partial squatting puts more pressure on your knees than full ROM squats

to get my butt to the floor I had to start with a very narrow stance... I stopped at the bottom and let it stretch me out every rep... slowly I've been widening my stance but I'm still fairly narrow as my groin is still pretty tight

we have been doing Bulgarian split squats, lunges and good mornings after squatting, feeling a lot stronger in the lower body... last night we did box jumps in between squat sets and they seem to help as well

Given my current situation with deadlifts, I know exactly what you mean :P

I've got deadlifts today. Did 90kg no worries at all last week. No pain, hardly even any muscle soreness. Focussing heaps on locking in my core and keeping a STRAIGHT back (as opposed to almost trying to arch lower back backward) is working well. Will see how 100kg goes today. Last time I deadlifted 100kg for 5 reps, I couldn't get back onto my feet immediately after.

I did the same thing with deadlifts, re: dropping weight to correct my technique. Was doing 110kg x 10 stiff legged previously, never got dizzy from it. Dropped the weight to 70/80/90 and attempted "standard" deadlifts with perfect form lastnight...headspins galore.

Without the bar I can squat down pretty low, but my back gets round as all f**k and my heels come off the ground. When I try to keep heels on the ground I basically fall backwards.

So no I can't squat properly even with no weight...

Edited by Mitcho_7

I find it easier with a bit of weight on the back

maybe try some front squatting? pretty hard to fall backwards on a front squat... something under your heels will also help

front squats are good because your much more upright, with your hips underneath you, which should keep your back flatter

Also squatting to a box might help with confidence, knowing there is something back there should you lose your balance... this will allow you to really push your hips/ass backwards and maintain a flat back

Edited by NickR33

Any idea of root cause?

My knee tendonitis is actually a combination of hamstring tightness and glute tightness, and maybe the quads are involved too. Either way, if i stop stretching / rolling for any reasonable period of time even without weights I start getting knee problems.

The physio's gave me some excercises but they never helped, it took a long time to find the cause.

Sorry just saw this.. this thread moves so quickly sometimes lol

Didn't really ask tbh! We just agreed it was a combination of overworking the muscles with not enough rest and not enough stretching. Even though I do stretch before weights I am not doing enough before and after. The fact I have had rotator cuff issues exacerbates the bicep tendon problem (from what I have read). Chest, shoulders, back were also really tight bringing my left shoulder 1cm more forward than my right at normal stance!! Going back to the physio for my second session tomorrow and will ask him more about it.

I'm back to doing the main compounds for a while;

• squats
  • barbell bench press
  • deadlifts
  • chin ups supersetted with lat pull downs
  • upright rows supersetted with dips (throw dips in just for the sake of it, although don't push too hard because of my bicep/shoulder)

That smashes me!

I find it easier with a bit of weight on the back

maybe try some front squatting? pretty hard to fall backwards on a front squat... something under your heels will also help

front squats are good because your much more upright, with your hips underneath you, which should keep your back flatter

Also squatting to a box might help with confidence, knowing there is something back there should you lose your balance... this will allow you to really push your hips/ass backwards and maintain a flat back

I will give front squatting a go i think

Sorry just saw this.. this thread moves so quickly sometimes lol

Didn't really ask tbh! We just agreed it was a combination of overworking the muscles with not enough rest and not enough stretching. Even though I do stretch before weights I am not doing enough before and after. The fact I have had rotator cuff issues exacerbates the bicep tendon problem (from what I have read). Chest, shoulders, back were also really tight bringing my left shoulder 1cm more forward than my right at normal stance!! Going back to the physio for my second session tomorrow and will ask him more about it.

I'm back to doing the main compounds for a while;

• squats
  • barbell bench press
  • deadlifts
  • chin ups supersetted with lat pull downs
  • upright rows supersetted with dips (throw dips in just for the sake of it, although don't push too hard because of my bicep/shoulder)

That smashes me!

didnt you say you have biceps tendonitis?

If so, ditch the chins and lat pull downs for sure, unless you were talking biceps femoris tendonitis in which case ditch the squats and deads till its better.

Assuming its your arm, which part of the biceps tendon is it? At the distal (where it inserts onto the radius) or at the proximal end (either coracoid process or supraglenoid tubercle)?

Edited by Mitcho_7

I remember doing 100kg to the point where you were effectively resting on maximum ROM for 3 seconds - ass on heels - and then standing back up BUT NOT LOCKING OUT KNEES.

knock knock

who's there?

back injury, I need a place to stay for a while

oh hey man.. come on in..

Mitch - sounds like you may need to work on flexibility around your calves, achilies etc.

I may have posted this link already.

www.mobilitywod.com

very good site for mobility and flexibility exercises.

he has heaps of things for mobility of those areas to allow people to get in to a squat position without falling etc.

even if you are tall

also, look at what shoes you squat in.

sneakers are no good.

good cheap option are chucks or similar shoes which have a flat hard sole.

knock knock

who's there?

back injury, I need a place to stay for a while

oh hey man.. come on in..

If you're suggesting that caused injury, it never ever gave a remote hint of being an issue. I only did it a couple of times, and that was AGES before my back ate shit.

didnt you say you have biceps tendonitis?

If so, ditch the chins and lat pull downs for sure, unless you were talking biceps femoris tendonitis in which case ditch the squats and deads till its better.

Assuming its your arm, which part of the biceps tendon is it? At the distal (where it inserts onto the radius) or at the proximal end (either coracoid process or supraglenoid tubercle)?

Um yeah that part :wub:

Its one of the tendons that runs from my bicep to my shoulder (not sure if long or short tendon).

I don't have any pain at all when doing any of these exercises however it does 'pop' sometimes when making normal movements and that's when I feel the pain.

I guess the chins and lat-pull downs can be considered overhead movements and I should avoid these yeah. What other back exercise can I throw in there; seated rows?

Thanks.

Edited by SRS13