SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

LoL me too.

It weighs a tiny smidge over 8kg.

I got it from world fitness, same place as the York bench. It was about $50.

If its not good ill get a refund and something better, if it survives the warranty period then I got what I paid for I guess.

hahaha, take it back and say you wanted a barbell not a boomerang! :P

Can vouch for weight plates being out!

My bumper plates are all within about 0.2kg on my digital scales, but my adjustable dumbell plates are all slightly heavier than stated. My dumbell handle with collars weighs 1.5kg and with 4x5kg plates each side it weighs 43.5kg per dumbell.

I've seen that with my smaller plates too, where using many gives a small variance. My big plates are fine though.

I'm not fussed by it though, the percentages are usually very small and given I don't compete the numbers are only for comparison against myself.

If you had 100kg on the bar and it really weighs 97 or 104 it doesn't mean jack. If you get stronger and put 5 more kg on the bar, whether that 5 is 4.5 or 5.5 doesn't really matter for your casual lifter, it's still more than it was and you are gaining.

If you're a comp lifter, completely different story though.

Plus I could care less f if someone else says they lift x and it's really y, I'm only concerned about my own results. I can see how it would be annoying for highly competitive people if your mate says he can lift way more than you but his weights are shit and inaccurate.

20% on 20kg is a laugh, I need some of those to feel tough lol

I've seen that with my smaller plates too, where using many gives a small variance. My big plates are fine though.

I'm not fussed by it though, the percentages are usually very small and given I don't compete the numbers are only for comparison against myself.

If you had 100kg on the bar and it really weighs 97 or 104 it doesn't mean jack. If you get stronger and put 5 more kg on the bar, whether that 5 is 4.5 or 5.5 doesn't really matter for your casual lifter, it's still more than it was and you are gaining.

If you're a comp lifter, completely different story though.

Plus I could care less f if someone else says they lift x and it's really y, I'm only concerned about my own results. I can see how it would be annoying for highly competitive people if your mate says he can lift way more than you but his weights are shit and inaccurate.

20% on 20kg is a laugh, I need some of those to feel tough lol

I agree, but the biggest issue with weight discrepancies is if they aren't constant. You don't really want 1 side of the bar weighing a few kgs different to the other side.

I paid $50 for my belt, though HONESTLY until you intend on loading it with a considerable amount of weight, I'd recommend just going to Bunnings (or whatever massive home and hardware store you have in Albury/Wodonga) and getting a length of rope. Try to buy dynamic rope (rope that has a tiny bit of stretch to it, similar to rock climbing rope). I had 20kg hanging from this and it was perfectly comfortable, however I wouldn't want to hang 50kg from it as it would start to dig into your waist around your hips and above glutes, which is where a much larger padded belt would be appropriate.

What are peoples thoughts on training to failure?

Now that I have a rack with multiple pin locations and safety bars it means I can push a bit harder and not be as worried about being able to get that last rep out on the last set at a new higher weight.

I tend to go up in weight slowly to make sure I'm competent at it (strong and weak days regardless) before moving on.

So is it beneficial to be able to get in another half rep or 75% of a rep then fail it to the pins/bars or is that just overloading the muscle too much and increasing recovery time?

Given I don't do split routines so time between sessions is smaller than it would be if I was really smashing one muscle group my concern would be the risk of injury and overuse so to speak and I'm not anywhere near as tough as the rest of you when it comes to injuries, takes me ages to recovery.

Side bar: I prefer doing a bit of everything in every session so it doesn't matter as much if for whatever reason I miss a session, I realise a lot of people will say gains are better if you heavily train one/two parts a day but I prefer doing a bit of everything in each session.

Most of my lifts these days are until failure. The only one I've ever been concerned about pushing until failure was deadlifts, as your form might slip enough to cause injury if you're completely exhausted.

What Nick said. I try to put my exercises into such an order that I can push until failure without worrying about hindering the next few exercises....isn't always effective, but hey whatever works best for the individual :D