SAU Community

Petrol

BenZor

I usually put optimax, but heard that Bp Ultimate was good too..... So on the weekend i needed to fill up, i thought i might aswell try ultimate. My car was running really bad, so I think i'll just stick with optimax!

(Ozzy)

Guys, here is the reply from SHELL. I take it that there are many cynics among you, but have a read anyway.

For what it's worth, I have given both BP Ultimate and Optimax a pretty good go each, and the only difference I can see is that I seem to get a slightly better economy with the Optimax. By the way...I do not work for SHELL.

The original claims made on this forum (somewhat a little ambiguous to me) are contained within the **

(SHELL) In reference to Optimax it will keep its Ron unless there is significant evaporation and therefore we are confident to say that it will not lose its RON rating to 94 in 3-4 days. Optimax may be in tank for at least a week at some service stations therefore we would see an increase in complaints if this was the case. Therefore it would be good for you to verify the source

of the claim as stated in the first point below.

**1. A significantly shorter shelf life. So the ron rating will decrease below 94 after only 3-4 days.**

(SHELL) Shelf life of Optimax is the same as for other types of petrol. It can be stored up to one year as long as the storage conditions are adequate, Containers used to store fuel for long periods of time should be filled to 95% full and capped tightly. Containers whould be stored out of direct sunlight and preferably kept below

27 deg C. This will help reduce the evaporation of teh petrol during storage and reduce exposure of the petrol to air and water.

**2. That optimax is a heavier fuel, so why it is a higher RON its power delivery is hampened by the cleaning agents etc in the fuel.**

(SHELL) In reference to the second point; The octane rating of Optimax is higher than the Premium ULP due to the fuel being blended from special high octane components produced by the refinery. Optimax is produced only at Shell refineries using high octane fuel components. The high Octane is due to the blended fuel and not the use of octane boosting fuel additive.

Hope this enlightens the comments made.