SAU Community

What Is This Thing Off?

GTAAAH

Yo so i just pulled off the front of my cam gear cover to try and figure out what the damn noise was and found this thing sitting on top.. it's doesn't look like i'll be able to re-use it.. does anyone know what it is/came off or a part number?

Also, do i have to remove the front of the waterpump to get the cam gear cover all the way off? (rb26)

thx..

post-26886-1201000698_thumb.jpg

post-26886-1201000785_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

absolutely no idea what that was, and I put one of these together last weekend so it should ring a bell if it belonged there!

either way you are lucky it didn't kill the timing belt, and your engine.

Fan and water pump pulley off to get the timing cover off....

ah ok thought so, stupid tensioner bolt is insanely tight, i'll get it all pulled apart and look for a missing ring on something hehe, thanks

also, i think it did kill the engine.

Edited by GTAAAH

but thats the thing.....there's no rings in there.

there is a rubber seal for the CAS to the timing cover

there are 2 plates at the crank, one either side of the crank timing gear (but both are much smaller centre than that)

this is everything that *should* be in there

timing_belt.jpg

is it metalic? its not meant to be there however.

could it be the front bearing cover off one of the timming belt tensioners/idlers? the lil bearing/dust cover for the actual idler itself.

Hmm your right, definitely not in that picture.. it's pretty manky but i can make out JAPAN and 6LB printed on it.. theres some other numbers but i cant make em out the things pretty shredded, it's a metal ring with a rubber cover on it (or plastic)

It's about an inch and a half across, will check if a bearing cover is missing from the timing belt tensioners/idlers though.. the alternator is giving me grief, i'm guessing it hasn't been moved in at least 10 years

Edited by GTAAAH

could it be the front bearing cover off one of the timming belt tensioners/idlers? the lil bearing/dust cover for the actual idler itself.

Yep, Thats what it looks like.

This is driving me nuts, i wanna see what it came off but i still haven't got the cover off.. one of the 10 mil nuts that connects the pulley to the water pump is jammed so tight it's impossible to pull off, cant get a grinder in their either, might have to try get an oxy and heat it up a bit or something.. probably gonna melt everything but cant see anything else working zz

Yeh i've pulled it out, i was expecting the nut to break as well.. taking a hell of alot of abuse, bought a big 10 mil ring for it yesterday and still not enough leverage, if i could get the clutch assembly part of the fan off then i could fit a ratchet in behind it and probably get enough leverage but i didn't want to pull apart more than i had to and i cant figure it out so might have to call a mech out to yank it off for me using some spec tools

Edited by GTAAAH

Yep, Thats what it looks like.

Good call +2

try it with 2 ring spanners. lossen the other ones a bit, spray lots of WD around. then tighten the opposite one back up a touch and hold the spanner on it to keep the pulley still. have the pulley positioned so you can get maximum leverage on the one that's stuck. >_<

For SAU archiving purposes, and just cus i think its interesting the seal got spat out...

The serials on the tensioner bearing seal are...

2T52DF0716LB JAPAN NTN

EDIT: And rip the fan off, rad out, peice of pizz

gallery_14713_1542_35589.jpg

EDIT#2: Snapped a pic of my old buggered one... cus im a nice guy *cough* :ermm:

Edited by GeeTR