SAU Community

What Is This Thing Off?

GTAAAH

Yo finally got the bolt off tonight, i tried a huge assed pair of grips as a last result and then grabbed a hack saw and cut it off, top half of the cover is off and the belt and everything looks fine, not even a scuff (i expected some tears from the little cover bouncing around)

Will hopefully pull the bottom half off tonight if all goes well and i dont run into any more nuts that need undo-ing i'm guessing the tensioner being talked about is one of the two, half way down inside the bottom of the case that sit on the sides and push the belt inwards?

thx ppl!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good to hear you got it off * now you know why mechanics charge so much, not because its hard but because when shit like this happens we get headache's :( * lol.

your also corrrect about the tensioner and its considerd good practice to replace all seals,bearings,studs,water pump etc.. i'd suggest this if you dont wana be pulling this shit appart again... other then that tehres the old rule, if it aint broke dont fix it. up to you

lol yeh true, crap like this only seems to happen when i work on skylines though, zz. Waterpump is pretty new and timing belt but i'll probably replace those other things u suggested once i find a thread that details which they are and part numbers, cant seem to dig up my workshop manual atm

Yeh previous owner changed it just before i bought the car so i don't have to worry about that.

I'm hoping i'll be able to get a replacement stud, this one came loose pretty much as soon as the nut was cut off luckily, otherwise i can probably ghetto spec something out of a nut and bolt to replace it

Now i've just gotta find a socket big enough to fit the crank pulley nut, yank it off and then it's pretty much just a matter of waiting for parts/putting it all back together i guess.. (btw wat size is the socket on the end of the crank pulley? I've read 23 Mm for a rb25 but a 23 won't fit and this looks more like 28, which i dont have)

Hmm i'm just looking at the engine manual and wondering about a new oil pump.. I will be alot less worried about the car with a new one and it looks like it bolts straight onto the front of the block.. If this is the case and i already have the pulleys etc off then it wouldnt be that difficult to replace.. is it worth taking it to a mech to get it replaced? Or is the sump etc going to need to come off to take it apart

Edited by GTAAAH

dont quote me on this as ive never pulled a gtr sump off, however from every other engine ive pulled down the pick up is attached to the oil pump, meaning sump off, which could also mean engine out for gtr, like i said though dont quote me, duncan would know 100percent.

• 2 weeks later...

K i've asked the Q with the pump and u do need to pull everything apart to replace it so i'm not going to bother (it's a 93 ne way)

However, i need to know where i can get a crank pulley remover to fit. I have a standard one that works on most cars (it's pretty much just 3 claws that u attached to the outside) but it's sorta small and i cant get enough leverage + i'm worried about chipping the edges of the pulley. Bursons sells a remover for $250 which is too much.. i was speaking to someone who told me they got one for $20 to fit (it fits the notches in the balancer, isntead of gripping the edges) but i can't remember who/where.

Can anyone give me a part number or a store that sell them cheaply?

Thx.. i wanna get this thing back on the road zz

Edited by GTAAAH

don't use a 3 arm balancer puller you can easily break the lip it pulls on.

You need this style

KC10712.jpg

If it doesn't come with bolts make sure you buy high tensile ones and screw them all the way in. If you break off one in the balancer you are screwed.

if u have a supercheap near by the have a harmonic balancer remover that works as thats wat i used it is around the 20 mark but u will have 2 get sum bolts 2 fit the holes in the balancer as the 1s in the kit wont fit ill mesure the bolts 2morrow and post them up 4 u. the radiator has 2 b out 2 for it 2 fit properely and ends up with bout 10mm till the ac cendensor. hope this helps

yeh cheers dude, i wasn't keen using the 3 armed one, i have the radiator out already so that's all good. i'll go try find one of these tonight after work.. and if i can't i'll just throw it on a trailer, drive it somewhere and say "fix" heh, i'm so over it

got one of the tools duncan had pictured and am slightly confused.. Where do u screw it into? I thought the pulley face had holes in it to put the bolts through but it doesnt... i can see a 2 small holes (you'd break bolts if u tried to lever off them, they like 8mm) about 3 cm out from the centre bolt but nothing else on the faces (except for about 6 slightly drilled holes on the outer rim which are useless.. any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

K finally got around to pulling this off (had problems with the pulley remover.. needed to cut some stuff etc to make it fit), one of the tensioners was bearingless and they had collected just below the crank gearing (they fit in the gap luckily so didn't cause jamming), anyways, if possible does anyone know the serials for the idler pulley and the belt tensioner? I was going to go to our local nissan dealer and just ask for them but i'm sure they'll charge like crazy

cheers

Yeh i know ay, lucky as

I've been searching for a while and managed to find the part number of 1 of the bearings but can't find the other so i'll dwnld and install FAST tonight and see if that helps me (I'm assuming it has all the part numbers for these things on it)