SAU Community

Recommended Cam Gear Setting On Standard Cams..?

maxspd

Im running 2860-5 turbos, on my r32 gtr.. what would you guys recommend on the cam gear settings on standard cams.. I have all the supporting mods with fcon-v pro. just wanted to set them before i put the cam covers back on , off to dyno next week.

thanks.

Hi Allen,

Every case responds differently... leave them at 0/0 and use a dyno and see how your car responds using a variety of combinations.

Edited by TommO

It may depend on a few factors. On a factory turbo engine +2 and upto -6 are often found to work well.

On a higher boost and airflow -5 setup you could expect some differences on the inlet cam timing.

This is how figure it out;

The basics I use to try and work it out (my reasons for things may be wrong but, seemed to work for me at the time)

* Advancing the intake cam moves the valve closer to the piston (be careful- not too far) and as a result you get increased cranking compression. You end up with better bottom end power. The peak magnitude of power changes is centred around really the peak of the hill (one spot) but, kind of moves the whole hill under it. You advance and generally the power peak moves down the rpm range, to a point. I think you find due to the relation to cranking compression , things like turbos airflow/boost characteristics make it slightly more tricky and effect which way you go from 0 -or+ and how far.

* Retarding the exhaust cam moves the valve closer to the piston (be careful not too far) it tends to effect power more generally over the entire curve. But to less magnitude than the intake changes do. The exhaust cam setting is more of a mystery sometimes advanced sometimes retard.

* Tune at an initial boost a little lower than you want to end up at. Tune for increased boost later.

* Dial in and advance/ retard intake cam first , then the exhaust cam.