SAU Community

Top Gear Speed Lap...

Tomek

Clarkson already said the R35 is better than the R8... This is a lil extract of what he said about the R35

"Seriously, this thing hooks up and accelerates like a Bugatti Veyron. The rapidity of the gearbox's upshifts is one reason; the sheer devastatling wallop of the engine is another.

OK, so it's half as powerful, and it's packing 10 fewer cylinders, but I reckon the GT-R could bother Bugatti in a big way. It even sounds a bit Veyronish: closer to a giant industrial vacuum cleaner than a car, all rush and whoosh. Other impressions? Its body control over these bumps and crests is breathtaking. You just know that this car has been meticulously engineered down to the last tiny grommet.

To put it another way, it's making the R8 look very secondhand indeed. I can see in my mirrors that Germany is struggling to keep up with Japan"

If that isnt jeremy punchin audi in the guts, i dont know what is.

It wont make top 10, but it should do better than a GT3 considering it has on a larger track.. but only time will tell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its even more odd how deluded some people are about this car. The Carerra GT crapped all over the GTR's Ring time and yet you somehow think that this 1800kg car is going to be faster than it around a racetrack provided its not raining!?

Excluding the Atom - all the cars in the top 10 make more power than the GT-R (some LOTS more) and are lighter. And then there is the other factor.

As mentioned already tyres will play a huge role in where it finishes. The top cars are all running either Pilot Sports Cups or P Zero Corsa's I'm pretty sure (except the Atom which ran DZ02's - so even better). I really don't know how good the RE-01R's are but the RE070's aren't much chop and could result in upto 2s difference in times based upon tyres alone.

The one thing we can get excitied about though is that fact that on the TG leader board it should be in the top 5 - hell even the top 3 of cars we can actually get here in Australia.

Have you driven on the RE070 fitted to the GTR? How do you know they are not much "chop"?

that f**kin list is wrong, the Ascari A10 did it in 1:10, but controversionally it was taken down because it did not meat the Top Gear requirements of being able to be driven everyday on the road, even though it is entirely street legal.

anyway I think it will do ok, like the Z06 it will be a Super Car killer

I think it might even beat a standard CCX and make an 8 - 14

Have you driven on the RE070 fitted to the GTR? How do you know they are not much "chop"?

Because they have a UTQG rating of 140 which is around the same as a Falken RT615 and the Ferderal 595RS. So good but not great.

Its not in the same league as the Pilot Sport Cups or Corsa's which are around the 60-80 mark (or even the full R semi-comps which are around 40).

that f**kin list is wrong, the Ascari A10 did it in 1:10, but controversionally it was taken down because it did not meat the Top Gear requirements of being able to be driven everyday on the road, even though it is entirely street legal.

anyway I think it will do ok, like the Z06 it will be a Super Car killer

I think it might even beat a standard CCX and make an 8 - 14

Abit quick their to call him wrong....I think you will find the car that ran the 1:10 lap was the caparo T1. The Ascari A10 (1:17.3 lap) had the adjustable front height so it was legal where the T1 didn't.

Will be interesting. The gearbox, traction out of slow corners combined with the cars uber torque might make the thing somewhat of a surprise package. It seems Nissan engineers are clever enough to cheat some of the fundamentals and through gadgets get the GTR to lap quicker then some lighter more powerful cars.

Still, if you want to go quick, get an Ultima GTR...otherwise stretch the pennies to an R8 :P

Abit quick their to call him wrong....I think you will find the car that ran the 1:10 lap was the caparo T1. The Ascari A10 (1:17.3 lap) had the adjustable front height so it was legal where the T1 didn't.

hhhmm yes you are correct, boy is my face red

Wow, that seems like a strangely rash statement to make Roy. While modern cars cannot teach people about the true pleasure of learning to control a 'dependent' car, these new 'independent' cars are not without a lot of merit. This is one of the reasons why modern car journalism have to use much more holistic (general/broad) ways of testing cars. From the reviews I have seen, the gadgets appear to detract, but _SURPRISINGLY_ little, from the pure driving experience. While Clarkson can't drive, he can really show people about what aspects of cars are exciting and which are lacking. I would be extremely surprised if he didn't suggest the GTR over the R8 in most cases. I guess each to their own though.

Because they have a UTQG rating of 140 which is around the same as a Falken RT615 and the Ferderal 595RS. So good but not great.

Its not in the same league as the Pilot Sport Cups or Corsa's which are around the 60-80 mark (or even the full R semi-comps which are around 40).

You are basing your assumption on a UTQG rating for tread wear?? And comparing a Bridgestone with a Federal? You really have absolutely no idea at all then.

Why don't you just wait until you drive the vehicle and then judge the tyres - Seeing how these tyres have been developed for the GTR in conjuction with Nissan and don't crap on about the RE070 has been out before blah blah blah - There is a little bit more to it than that.

You are basing your assumption on a UTQG rating for tread wear?? And comparing a Bridgestone with a Federal? You really have absolutely no idea at all then.

Why don't you just wait until you drive the vehicle and then judge the tyres - Seeing how these tyres have been developed for the GTR in conjuction with Nissan and don't crap on about the RE070 has been out before blah blah blah - There is a little bit more to it than that.

someone is a little touchy

Potenza thats a really wierd post unless you have first hand experience with the R35 and its tyres. the set of RE070s I saw on a hard driven gtr were fcuked. worn shoulders and rubber rolling off the edges. and the driver was not happy with the grip compared to semis on his old gtr rally car.

• 4 months later...

Wow.

Some people will really be eating thier own words ey? (I know the result isn't offical yet but meh.)

"Prove me wrong, Prove me wrong, no way top 10, etc" OWNED!

Ok, so if you check the ol' reliable wikipedia its up, but I dunno what to believe. I looked, saw a 1:03 posted, knew it was bullshit and 2 mins later refreshed and it was back to a believable time. I still think I'll wait 'til I see the lap before I believe anything posted on teh intawebz