SAU Community

What Is Pinging?

Hulk1010

Hi

what is pinging, and how can i tell if my car does it?

thanks

Best example, older Ford Laser fitted with mazda engine cu cu cu cu sound when taking off under load more pronounced when hot days, yours should have knock sensors my rb does when it gets close to the point of it going to happen timing gets backed off. In my older cars that didnt have mechanicals suited for unleaded some times even when fuels a bit dodgy on a warm day it would ping its head off, (might have been that high compression shaved head i had, a thicker gasket did the trick even if it went a bit weaker) go to another brand servo put some high grade fuel in no more pinging, so there is a few factors to consider. If yours does check your sensors< still got factory management? If you dont hear anything your probably ok but if your worried go to a good workshop as they have equipment that would show if its abit out :(

Yeap some sort of metal-on-metal sound. Like shaking coins in a tin. If someone can point it out to you while a car is pinging, you'll know straight away anytime it happens in the future.

Ping = detonation, which is fuel igniting in the cylinders before it is meant to. In other words, uncontrolled fuel ignition, ie. bad for engine.

You can tell if your car does it from the sound, but also from the orange dash light flashing on and off. If you have a pfc, then you can set the hand control screen to show pinging as well - peak hold and present reading.

Its sometimes also called knock and pinking.