SAU Community

New Mods Causing Car To Miss, Backfire, And Surge?

Peter

I find it hard to believe that you hit it with stock boost though but I have been proven wrong many many times before

i hit r&r in my r33 gtst shitter on stock boost with BPU

sparkplugs wont have the spark blown out at 7psi

its the ecu shitting itself, they're known for it. Get somesort of management and it will be sweet

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry been away for a while, been really busy at work, and moving house atm..... :D

OK, once things settle down for me I'll try the following...hopefully the plugs do the job....

1. Regap / buy new plugs that are 0.8mm.

2.Check for vacuum leaks.

3. Coil Packs.

4. Fuel Pump.

Also, I am very intersted in getting a aftermarket engine management, as nearly everyone has suggested, and after looking at Nengun, have found that they are not really THAT expensive.....I am trying to choose between an E-Manage Ultimate and SAFC-NEO....for the current situation (and future mods if I decide to go down that path), which one do you think is better? I am asking this as I know very little about engine management systems....

Thanks,

Pete

cheapest solution is to get a cheap fuel cut defender. IT's the stock ecu going into rich/retard. I've got one with avariable settings, and you can feel power pick up and that lumpy surge get less and less as you lean things out gradually. Best to use a dyno if you're thinking about going extreme but it's a cheaper bandaid solution than an ecu.

Thanks for the advice Tails Tails, but I've decided to not go the bandaid solution and fix this problem (and possible future problems) once and for all.....so is which is better - an E-Manage Ultimate or SAFC-NEO??

Cheers,

Peter

Just thought id add..

Engine management wont do shit if its your coils..

I bought a SAFCII and its useless if the coils are stuffed..

I spent 45ins/1Hr taping them up yesterday and now the car pulls stronger than ever and no missing at all!

So eventually ill need to get splitfires.. but at least i isolated the problem before throwing money at it

heres one for the coilpacks (if u search in the general maintenance forum u'll find heaps of threads)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Mi...mp;hl=coilpacks

plugs (theres a down loadable link in the eighth post)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ch...p;hl=sparkplugs

good luck,

Aif

Thanks Aif, I followed the links to the threads and now know how to change the plugs and tape / silicon the coils (cheers mcdoof) - it doesn't look too difficult at all, just a bit cumbersome...

But I do want an aftermarket unit to help better manage the engine, and I am still trying to decide between the SAFC-NEO and E-Manage Ultimate...for the current situation (and future mods if I decide to go down that path), which one do you think is better? I am asking this as I know very little about engine management systems....

Can anyone offer advice? I have heard you can get to the stage with the SAFC when it really can't help anymore??

Thanks,

Peter

• 9 months later...

OK...an update of the work in progress.....

Innovate Wideband Oxygen sensor installed, plugs now 0.8mm, coil packs removed and taped / siliconed up (temporary fix until I get Splitfires) - car definately drives better, pulls alot harder, but still hesitates / misses around 5000 rpm+.

So....I bought a second hand SAFC NEO - I know that it's not ideal, but I am making do for now, until I can afford an EMU or PFC etc. I initially thought the solution would be simple - lean the top end out - as when it does miss/backfire the A/F ratio goes down to the high 9s! BUT then I met up with a guy who has an SR20 at a cruise recently who said that if the spark is still getting blown out due to the coils / ignitor / spark plugs not working properly, then the Wideband would read rich, as alot of unburnt fuel is in the exhaust system (makes sense), and that if I lean it out with the SAFC, then it may in fact run too lean - any thoughts on this??

Do I not tune the SAFC (just monitoring at the moment) and get new plugs, coils, ignitor etc., or should I try and lean it out and see what happens?

Thanks!

Pete (confused....)

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what the coil harness is - is it the insulated wires that go over the top of the coils that you see when you pull the allen keyed Nissan 2500cc thing off? If this is it, mine was quite brittle... is this the culprit??

PS: My RB25DET is Series 1 if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Peter

piggy backs are just a bandaid to the problem.

I would get a powerfc and be done with it, they can be had for the 1000-1200mark now days 2nd hand. Sell the neo for what you got it for and put it towards the FC

If its a miss or surge then dont worry about coilpacks because the spark isnt being blown out. Blown out spark is a very different feeling, its almost like a "fluffy surge" haha, doesnt make much sence but its hard to explain.

My brother use to have a series 1.5 r33, and it had to same problem as you. We went for cheapest solution to most expensive, new spark plugs, gapped down, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new splitfire coil packs, none fixed the problem of the "surge" through out the rev range, and it would even violantly "splutter". He bit the bullet and got a powerfc and boooom, instant fix. Changed the whole car, best engine mod done to date.

Just something to think about

Edited by R34GTFOUR

Thanks R34GTFOUR & and 3 3....point taken on board...I'll check out the cashola situation after Christmas and see what I can do...

Does the Power FC really need the hand controller? If I get one without a hand controller can I plug in a laptop and use the software - similar to my friend's EMU in his Supra?

Thanks!

Peter

• 11 years later...

Hi guys I really need some help with my VYSS I had a new exhaust put on it and it is surging goes dead while driving it stalls while driving it completely cut out  backfires running rich I don’t know what to do I’ve changed coil  packs ive changed the plugs, spark plugs, fuel filter also I’ve noticed when I go to refuel there’s no sound when I take off the fuel cap every time I change something it goes fine for a tiny bit then sick again it’s normally good when cold but not when it warms up any information would really help