SAU Community

Coil Overs

Gday guys, I have just finished fitting a set of tein coil overs into my R34 GTT. Went for a drive and noticed a knock from the rear.

I just went over all the nuts n bolts to make sure they are tight and everyting is.

Just wondering if anyone has had something like this before and knows what it could be??

Thanks guys!

Ok done a bit more reading.....

When I fit the new coil overs I didnt refit the metal plate that was between the strut and the body in the rear as the new ones are damper adjustable so didnt really want the adjustment screw being covered up by it!

Could that cause the knock?

<br />Nah the boots empty. I guess ill just have to keep playin around with them until i find what it is!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

is the suspension brand new or 2nd hand?

when you jack the car up, can you move the rear wheels up and down easily? i had this problem, i could just move the wheels up and down on the shocker. i had to get it refilled

They are 2nd hand....only done 10,000km tho supposedly! I put the metal plates back in the rear, (the ones that go between the strut and the body) and it hasnt really made any difference. Bugger.

Im hoping that the shocks arent stuffed in them already!

sorry forgot to mention daz, i checked for movement with the car raised and there is none.

thanks for your help so far guys

Edited by jase-r34

you said they were new..ha

well if theyre deff second hand then that knocking will most probably be your pillowtops. they are worn. i have used teins and my right rear and front knock over rough bumps. not much you can do really except replace the tops. when your in the back seat or boot jump up and down to work the suspension on whichever side, you should be able to hear the knock then.

Ok...this might be a longshot but it worked for me with my brand new set of teins...jack the rears up and spray the coil springs with WD40...try this before you do anything else to it. Let us know how it goes...

Thanks for that nismo, I was actually thinking about suggesting if anyone thought that might help, but thought i'd look like a total knob hahaha.

Ill give it a go and let you know what happens!

The thought also crossed my mind that the noise could be normal as i've never used coil overs in any of my cars before!

Cheers for all the help guys!

Ok, jacker her up and gave the strut tops a good old spraying with WD40 and took it for a run....no difference.

Oh well looks like im not going to get out of it that easily! should have known hahahaha

Thanks for your suggestions tho guys!

• 1 year later...

I am gaving the same issue with my 2000 Stagea.

Car was imported with Teins and is getting worse. Rears are really bad and giving me the S*its. Have taken to local suspension shop and they have no idea.

over speed bumps they are smooth, only over sharp bums they are knocking.

Will keep track of this topic lol

my brand new D2 coil overs knock in the front the odd time if i hit a hard or deep bump, but for mine its a knock being caused by the shock 'topping out' on its recoil...sounds rough but i dont think its hurting anything

thanks for the info!

my brand new D2 coil overs knock in the front the odd time if i hit a hard or deep bump, but for mine its a knock being caused by the shock 'topping out' on its recoil...sounds rough but i dont think its hurting anything