SAU Community

Insurance For Your Track/race Car

Merli

So I've been ringing around to see what options I have for insuring my R32 GTR that will ONLY be driven to and from the track and workshops.

It doesn't seem like any insurance companies have cover to suit:

- Private import car (not locally delivered)

- Extremely limited use - Less than 2000kms (Once a month when the car is driven to and from the track)

- Extremely modified and high agreed value

For an indicative $30,000 agreed/replacement value:

- Shannons have quoted me - $1800-ish ($500 excess - "Extreme limited use policy")

- Just Cars have quoted me - $1400-ish ($3700 excess - No kms limitations)

These are just WAY too expensive to cover damage to the car on the drives to and from the track. That works out to be $100-150 each time I drive the car!

What I'm after is a 3rd Party Property, Fire and Theft policy with agreed value. Just Cars and their $10,000 limit just doesn't cut it.

So what are you all doing with your cars that only see track time and next to nil public road usage?

Did you tell Shannons that you have a CAMS licence and part of a CAMS affiliated car club?

I am with Shannons on a similar arrangement, agreed value is 24k and i am aunder $1,000 per year. I think its $880 or something. My insurance was halved when i changed my address to a Vic one :(

Simple, trailer...

The problem from their perspective is the possible chanceof someone crashing at the track where insurance doesnt cover it, and claiming it was on the road going to or from the track. Seen it before on a road car which was $100,000 new and copped $30,000 damage on a track.

Did you tell Shannons that you have a CAMS licence and part of a CAMS affiliated car club?

I am with Shannons on a similar arrangement, agreed value is 24k and i am aunder $1,000 per year. I think its $880 or something. My insurance was halved when i changed my address to a Vic one :(

No, I didn't tell them that... I wonder if that will help at all :huh:

Good idea :(

Just to cover the rest of the questions that might come up, I'm 28 years old, and have a perfect driving record, no claims or at faults in the past 5 years, 70% NCB with AAMI on my daily driver.

Simple, trailer...

The problem from their perspective is the possible chanceof someone crashing at the track where insurance doesnt cover it, and claiming it was on the road going to or from the track. Seen it before on a road car which was $100,000 new and copped $30,000 damage on a track.

Ermmmm.. Increasing the premium to factor in possible unlawful fraud doesn't seem fair to me. Isn't that what their accident investigation division is for?

And a trailer is NOT simple :(

Have seen that happen as well. But ppl should be aware that sometimes insurance company reps are at the tracks.

I had a fire at Winton which meant a bit of paint damage. A guy was asking about my car and the convo went a little like this...

"Shame to see it like this...had it long?"

"Thanks, had it about 5 years"

"Is it insured with all those mods?

"Yeh, Shannons are great, have all the goodies noted on the policy"

"So are you going to claim this, are you covered for this sort of stuff"

"Nah,, dont race what you cant afford to lose. It wont be that hard to fix"

At this point the guys mate smiled and the guy asking the questions walked away. When i asked his mate what was that all about he just commented that his mate works for Shannons. I dont know if he was there in an official capacity...but recommend to people that they dont dare claim if they have an accident at the track. Risk is just too high....and doesnt help any of us if you get caught. LOL, you know in Hollywood movies there are those moments in the film where the character has a choice that will affect the course of the movie/life :huh: That was mine, if it had been someone other poor bloke that had jsut damaged his pride and joy on his first ever track day???? Situation could have spelt trouble :(

And CAMS membership got me a discount, so did being a member of a CAMS affiliated club

thats it Roy, race what you can afford it comes back down to it.

Merli, AFAIK - there is a type of cover, I think its laid up or something? as in cant be driven on the road, but still covered in the garage and trailer while transported?

A mate had that cover...

Roy - yeah NSW is the rip off state mate :( Time for me to move state!!!!!

Have seen that happen as well. But ppl should be aware that sometimes insurance company reps are at the tracks.

I had a fire at Winton which meant a bit of paint damage. A guy was asking about my car and the convo went a little like this...

"Shame to see it like this...had it long?"

"Thanks, had it about 5 years"

"Is it insured with all those mods?

"Yeh, Shannons are great, have all the goodies noted on the policy"

"So are you going to claim this, are you covered for this sort of stuff"

"Nah,, dont race what you cant afford to lose. It wont be that hard to fix"

At this point the guys mate smiled and the guy asking the questions walked away. When i asked his mate what was that all about he just commented that his mate works for Shannons. I dont know if he was there in an official capacity...but recommend to people that they dont dare claim if they have an accident at the track. Risk is just too high....and doesnt help any of us if you get caught.

Absolutely... Fraud only ruins it for the rest of us.

In any case, the fact that I use it on the track is irrelevant isn't it? I won't be claiming any damage that occurs on the track, so how is it relevant?

The only pertinent information is that I only drive it on public roads about 10-15 times a year with a maximum of about 3000kms clocked. That's where I need the cover, and obviously fire and theft cover.

some here duncan , if you value your car you should have it insured especially for theft, do you know how many damaged cars i have seen crashed on the back of cartrailers! quite a few?

if it's insured it's all covered, everything but on the track itself.

Hey Merli,

I am also with Shannon’s and I have a 99 stagea and a modified R33 GTST insured with them and it cost me just about $2000 bang on for both for the year. You have to talk to them and explain that you are an enthusiast (a member of a car club) and have a cams licence and they will be you new buddy.

Good Luck.

Is that sarcasm? Or have you thrashed a shitter to death. It *is* fun.

but the point is, the guy said he hardly ever drives the line cept to the track etc, and is looking for insurance for it.

Seems a cheap shitter, and putting the line on a trailer, woudl be a cheaper option.