SAU Community

Loose Gear Stick

Hey guys, my gear stick is really loose, it has stirring syndrome, I move it around and it feels like I'm mixing something. At first it didn't really bother me, but after going from 1st to 4th a couple of times be accident, and not being able to find 2nd in a hurry, I really want to fix this.

Is this a problem with the linkage bushes? Or something else? How do I fix this problem, because if I take it into work, my boss will charge me full cost to fix it. I've pulled the boot off and got right down the the box itself, but couldn't find anything that could help me. I'm guessing it is under the car?

Thanks,

Rhys

at the bottom of your gear shift there is a little nylon bush, this can fall off leaving your gearstick with a 3-5cm wobble in it. Pull the gearstick out of the box (need to remove the circlip, be careful not to use it, you will need circlip pliers). see if the bush is on the bottom still, if its just a metal ball no bsuh you need a new one. It is readily available from nissan for about $2

I thought he meant some abomination by FORD :huh: .

My question is what are you going to do about the nylon bush that may be floating around in ur g/b?? it should not have jus "disappeared" if thats the probs.

• 2 years later...
i've lost 2 bushes over the years in different cars, are both are still presumably floating in the gearboxes somewhere without causing trouble

This has happened to me twice now, I'm glad it won't cause any permanent problems.

Would a new short shifter fix the problem as well? I want to get one of them eventually as well.

short shifter will only fix it if the missing bush is your problem and new shifter goes in with a new one. i've installed one short shifter before, and it didn't come with a new bush. had to use the old one, and it doesnt come off the old shifter easily. as stated above, its probably better to get a new one from nissan.. very cheap reassurance to know it wont fall off again.

This has happened to me twice now, I'm glad it won't cause any permanent problems.

i had my rb25 box apart a while ago and as i recall it, the hole the gear linkage goes through would be too small for the nylon bush to fit through. and if it had, probably would have jammed the shifter linkage, making it nearly impossible to change gear at all. are you absolutely positive the bush isnt still sitting at the bottom of the shifter well? unless it somehow broke into several tiny pieces then they might fit through the hole.

if it is floating around in the gearbox, it wont come out with the oil as there is an oil flow gate in the joining plate in the middle, the bush definately wont fit through that so it will be sitting in the rear section. pic of oil flow gate attached for those who are unfamiliar, it only opens about 4-5mm.

post-74178-1280203408_thumb.jpg

short shifter will only fix it if the missing bush is your problem and new shifter goes in with a new one. i've installed one short shifter before, and it didn't come with a new bush. had to use the old one, and it doesnt come off the old shifter easily. as stated above, its probably better to get a new one from nissan.. very cheap reassurance to know it wont fall off again.

i had my rb25 box apart a while ago and as i recall it, the hole the gear linkage goes through would be too small for the nylon bush to fit through. and if it had, probably would have jammed the shifter linkage, making it nearly impossible to change gear at all. are you absolutely positive the bush isnt still sitting at the bottom of the shifter well? unless it somehow broke into several tiny pieces then they might fit through the hole.

if it is floating around in the gearbox, it wont come out with the oil as there is an oil flow gate in the joining plate in the middle, the bush definately wont fit through that so it will be sitting in the rear section. pic of oil flow gate attached for those who are unfamiliar, it only opens about 4-5mm.

Yeah mate, I also thing it would have to have broken up as it got looser and looser until it finally was stuck in 4th gear.

I eventually got it out and when i removed the stick the bush was no where to be found.