SAU Community

50km as of next year!!!!

Majanal

I really must agree with toshi on this one. Driver training is definatly going to help much more than slowing people down will.

Make it like getting a licence to fly... different licence (endorsment) for each type of plane.

Originally posted by Majanal

Make it like getting a licence to fly... different licence (endorsment) for each type of plane.

Well, that doesn't work either - look at the quality of some of the pilots we know :D

Anyone who has to drive with the seat at its maximum forward position should be banned from our roads. So should old asian men, fat aussie women, greek women, women who do their makeup while driving and talking on moblie phones. Sorry forgot, taxi drivers and bus drivers should be off our roads as well.

oz

Talk about contraversial post.....

/me waits for carlo to find this comment........ "Anyone who has to drive with the seat at its maximum forward position should be banned from our roads"

as a point of interest you actually get more car control when you sit closer to the steering wheel... just ask a few race car drivers and instrutors.

Originally posted by Amir

Anyone who has to drive with the seat at its maximum forward position should be banned from our roads.

Thats BS, when you are driving you should be sitting up straight and close to the wheel (the wheel should be resting at your wrist with your arms straight) so if you have an accident your elbows dont lock thus destroying your arms.

If you dont believe me then go have a sit in a Group A car, or if you want more reasons give Aarron McGill a call and do some driver training.

What is dangerous is people who have the seat back all the way, they cant operate the car correctly and if they have an accident they will either slide down under the wheel or get caught in the belt.

As for your claims to ban greek women, taxi drivers, etc etc. I think that is a unfair generalisation, what we should do is give people more driver training, and make professional drivers resit there driver training exams on a regular basis.

Carlo, please dude, my post was tongue and cheeck. What I was refering to were drivers who rest there noses on the steering wheel (you know the ones that try to see the road thats right infront of the front bumper). So I'll refrase my words........people who sit with their torso's less than 90 degrees to their thigh, should be banned from our roads:)

oz

Whats next though? If they think reducing the speed limit from 60 to 50 reduces a certain amount of lives, then they could use that logic to take it down from 50 to 40.

I totally agree with stricter license tests and ones that you have to sit every 5 years, no exceptions for age or disability. Car manufacturers are constantly coming up with better technology, handling getting better, more safety devices, it just evolution. Unfortunately the people that make the road laws are not moving with this, if anything our speeds limits should be slowly INcreasing over the years.

All you have to do these days is pass a 15min driving test around the local neighbourhood to get your license.

Their needs to be a proper testing center that simulates real road situations where you learn how important it is to pay attention.

Say 1 year learner driving with a set amount of hours they have to clock up per week in a log book. Then maybe a dozen or so visits to the testing center for a few lessons on how to avoid an accident.

Testing at the accident center should happen every 5 years.

Well thats just my opinion anyway. 1000+ kgs will crush any human no matter how quickly it is travelling.

and why don't manufacturers actually spend some money and research improving braking.. there is a reason that brembo's are used on GTR's and it isn't to make them faster!

imagine if every commodore was equiped with 15" brakes (with good pads!) i am sure that would help reduce braking distances and increase safety at all speeds not just trying to stop when a kid jumps in front of the car!

also there should be more rules about having to get proper tyres (stopping retreads especially!).. if you can't afford good tyres, then you can't afford to drive! it is as simple as that!!

Actually the reason sport's cars have big brakes is to make them faster..

you come in hotter into a corner, you can slow down faster, and get through the whole thing in a faster time.

Well that is one reason.

But I so hear you on the brakes thing.. I still dont get why in this day in age you can buy a car from Respectable car manufacturers which come with drum brakes!!!

It is okay, you made a valid point towards a subject which should get more attention. I think another problem is people dont know how to use their brakes.. I improved my braking distance a few years ago when I did my first driving course by 20 meters (at 80k) with some practice

I think you'll find accidents would continue to decrease as you continue to lower speed limits. In fact, at a 0klm/hr limit there would be very few accidents.

and BTW, my race car runs drum brakes, as do racing trucks.

I can't remember if I posted this or not in another thread, but there was an article in either the tele or herald about 3 weeks ago. It was about speed studies.

Apparantly in Europe they are actually increasing speed limits because it reduces fatigue. I don't know if anyone else is with me on this one but I tend to find that the slower I go the less alert I become to my surroundings.

If you travel faster it makes trips shorter and you are less likely to have your brain wander off.

Anyway, it also gave some stats and it was along the lines that NSW was out on it's own as far as attributing speed to deaths...it was something like 20% more than most other states.

Now I can't remember actual numbers but the article echoed my sentiments on the matter. I believe that:

-speed limits should increase

-penalties made tougher (on the proviso of the above)

-learners should not get their 'licence' until they pass a basic driver co-ordination test (similar to the motorcycle L's test)

I make the last point because I believe that there are some people who are just not and never will be capable of driving a motor vehicle safely because they simply lack the co-ordination too. These people should not be allowed to drive. Harsh maybe, but it's just the card they get dealt in life. You don't see blind people driving (no offense to blind people)...and people who lack the dexterity to drive should be no different.

It is such an irony, as some of you point out, that cars are getting safer and safer yet we are being forced to go slower and slower...

Anyway, i've had my rant.

Originally posted by Amir

Anyone who has to drive with the seat at its maximum forward position should be banned from our roads. So should old asian men, fat aussie women, greek women, women who do their makeup while driving and talking on moblie phones. Sorry forgot, taxi drivers and bus drivers should be off our roads as well.

oz

I dont like getting into arguments on here but this just sh*ts me right off. I have short parents... and from that I somehow managed to turn out to be short too so I need to have my seat just about all the way forward. Sure I can still reach if the seat is back but I have better control when its forward.

I have done a number of different martial arts over the years and have managed to get pretty good reflexes out of that... So tell me why Amir, should people that "has to drive with the seat at its maximum forward position" should be banned?? Another thing I just thought of... isnt it a common thought/generalisation that jap cars are made for short people?

my brother is tall (6') and has had a lot more at fault accidents than I have.... Does this mean that tall people should be banned to?

Wake up Amir!!!

back on topic... I agree with tosh. I believe that driver training is the only way to go.

hey i would just like to welcome everyone to the sunny state of Queensland where the speed limit is 50 kph unless signed. I live in a semi rural area and it doesn't seem to worry anyone much. That said the cops do police it fairly heavily but that doesn't stop the moron from down the road hitting speed cut past my place........