SAU Community

New Steering Wheel Needed

jake33

like most of the standard steering wheels ive seen in skylines mine is begining to fray and fall apart.

No longer do i have the shinny glossy black look and one side of the steering wheel is starting to crack and rip apart.

so.. need a new one. i was looking into getting an after market one, a decent brand but not too expensive (basically a step above the autotechnica junk found at Autobahn and the likes.

what places around Melb and brands do people reccomend???. Looking at getting just a simple nice black one.

Also i understand ill need a boss kit? and i have an airbag. so from changing from stock to an aftermarket wheel (with no bag) are there any issues with hicas or the removal of the airbag???

any help and point in the right direction would be great

cheers

hmm.. anyone?? im sure most have after market wheels and had to install them? maybe if mods could move it into a more general section like cosmetic or sky discussion. maybe id have better luck there. thanks

cheers

Edited by jake33

why dont you get an airbag steeringwheel? costs more but would be worth it really. airbags save lives u know :stupid:

And gives nice black eyes. Bloody hell they hurt I tell you. Been hit by a passanger side one, had a black eye for a good 3 weeks, including constant headaches and dizyness. Ive now got a permanent shadow under the eye that copped the impact. But who knows what may have happened without it.

Mine is cactus as well... worn completely through... just ordered a Nardi Deep Cone from Greenline.jp and a Daikei boss kit... you just have to make sure to purchase the boss kit for an airbag wheel... Greenline don't have any of the Nardi wheels on their site but they can order them for you if you know what you want

Nardi is Italian like Momo, but I think they have a better range if your after something simple... I don't like the fighter plane style wheels with all the crap on them so Nardi for me... bit on the pricey side tho

why dont you get an airbag steeringwheel? costs more but would be worth it really. airbags save lives u know :ermm:

ha yeah apparently they do save lives :banana: . i would but had a bit of trouble sourcing one in mint condition.

plus i would like to go aftermarket

aware of Nardi and Momo, any other ok brands out there?? or good distributers in Melb that anyone recommends?

thanks

ah f**k it. im pretty sure ill need one with an airbag for insurance purposes anyway.

so im on the look out for a S1 or S2 steering wheel if anyones got one or knows anyone selling. shoot me a PM. otherwise ill keep my eyes peeled.

thanks for the help people

cheers

Series 1 R33's dont come with airbags from memory, but yours is a series 1, so now im damn confused.

I thought that Airbags and ABS were introduced with series 2 R33's.

I must be wrong though.

some late series 1 had driver side airbags... no passenger airbag

Jake try Just Jap too... they have their own range of steering wheels at a much lower cost than Nardi, Momo etc but I have never held one so not sure of the quality... maybe someone who has one can comment

If you decide to get an aftermarket wheel make sure you get a HICAS Boss if your car has HICAS or you can modify a non HICAS boss like i did.

Yes its true about insurance but if you had an accident you can just put the old wheel back on before the insurance guys inspect the car ..

Edited by Mick

another quick thing is that the airbag light on the dash will flash constantly if you remove the airbag wheel so you will have to cut the wire to the LED on the back of the dash cluster ..

ah k thanks for the info guys. yeah its a late model 95 (so 1.5..whatever people reffer to it as ) S1. just got the airbag on the drivers side.

i think ill try source a S2 airbag wheel. will be a direct fit and is the install easy??

thanks for your help guys

• 2 months later...

A couple of things to be aware of....having a non-airbag wheel on a car that came with an airbag is defectable. Also aftermarket airbag wheels are mega $$'s.

You could always get your original S1 wheel recovered...

yeah tezflow. i left the window down in my garage one night and the cold air made it all crack and start to flake more and wear away. (nothing really wrong with it..just LOOKS horrible)

i was thinking of getting it re-covered. but then that means i cant drive the car until it gets re-covered. unless i buy another temp steering wheel. :P anyone recommendany places, prices????

i was looking at my step dads 07 nivara 4x4 wheel.. i might have to convice him to go aftermarket... :D

but seriously, if anyone has a spare r33 airbag wheel they want to palm off (or non airbag.. i might be intrested). PM me!!

not really looking at spending like 200 or 300 just for a second hand wheel, so if anyones feeling generous..lemme know :P

i was thinking of getting it re-covered. but then that means i cant drive the car until it gets re-covered. unless i buy another temp steering wheel. anyone recommendany places, prices????

I had my old gtst one recovered...dropped the car off before work and picked it up after as there is a train station right next door. I went to garry blackman trimming in richmond and cost me a couple of hundred (was a while ago so would be useless posting the cost as I'm sure its changed).

Recovered steering wheel (and I had the handbrake and shifter boot replaced as well):

post-6243-1208294977_thumb.jpg

wow. that looks amazing! love the light blue stiching. was that price ( a couple of hundred ) for the boots as well? or just the wheel.

thanks for the info. i will look into it. :thumbsup: