SAU Community

First Impressions From Driving The R35

m3gtr

mate does it sound any good in real life? from all the vids ive seen it sounds like a magna when its being revved - is it at least mean sounding or is it all muted and "refined"

It burbles away quietly at low revs but it does pick up a sinister growl above 4500rpm. Its not manic. Its refined and understated at cruising inner city speeds but changes note drastically the more revs you give it. Two very different characters depending on how hard you are driving.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With traffic and buildings becoming denser by the minute, i feel i just have to have another crack at the engine before we get boxed in. The road clears ahead of me, i wind the window down to hear the sound of the exhaust and engine - the air outside is chilled and crisp. I change down again into 3rd gear this time mashing the pedal to the floor, the GTR willingly, effortlessly, gets up and bolts ahead, blurring the scenery. Like a drug, the sheer speed that you can extract from the GTR will just have you coming back for more. I shoot into a tunnel- the exhaust note reverberates off the tunnel walls and as the revs pick up to a raucous rasping growl, 4th, 5th and 6th its Fast, too fast, have to back off.

Looks like an interesting story if proven real. I just wonder how many of you guys would rev & drive a brand new car through its gears given that;

(a) its not your car

(b) you wouldnt even afford to pay the excess should you hit something

© realizing that its somewhat rude and immature to do so

Before getting my car, I wouldnt even accept a good friends offer to drive his M6 for the 3 months of his licence suspension. Would have been great ofcorse, but common sense comes into play.

Again, looks like a good read, if all is true. :banana:

that doesn't make it sound much like a performance car, more like a tank with solid lead doors, lol

now am i correct in assuming the seats were all the way back? try sliding the seats foward and then you might be able to fit someone in the back. hell i know that in my old r33 you couldn't have anyone in the back without putting the seat foward to give them leg space.

*gets out calculator* yep, 2+2 still equals 4.

and was there really any need to post a picture of the restaurant in a car review? or are you going to continue this theme with pics from what happened when you got back to his place in part 2?

The doors definitely didnt feel too heavy. They have a nice solid feel to them. The chassis too, doesnt feel its weight. Its quite unassuming really. Youre thinking i know this is 1700 odd kilos worth of car, minus driver and passengers but it definitely doesnt feel or drive like its too heavy. The trade off between the kerb weight and the technology propelling that mass is very well balanced.

As for the seats, i did notice that when i got in the car Koichi had his seat at a reasonable distance between himself and the wheel and the same for me when i drove it, but even then there was VERY little room between the back of my seat and the rear passenger seat.

An issue im sure in regards to every day practicality.

Looks like an interesting story if proven real. I just wonder how many of you guys would rev & drive a brand new car through its gears given that;

(a) its not your car

Before getting my car, I wouldnt even accept a good friends offer to drive his M6 for the 3 months of his licence suspension. Would have been great ofcorse, but common sense comes into play.

Would you like to see a video, Ken?

Koichi openly invited me to enjoy the car. He asked me if i had a license and if i have driven in Tokyo before. He and i both know the GTR is for everyday performance and i treated it with respect while exploring its capabilities. He was quite happy to let me have the experience. A genuine nice guy. At one point he was busy typing emails to some of his girlfriends while i did a little exploring of the GTR's capabilities. Haha, at one point the girl he was talking to on the phone was asking what my "type" was. I was torn between that discussion and getting to grips with what his new car was all about. I digress.

Its a trust issue, Ken. Koichi trusted me. You don't and that fine. Some people in this world will still trust people regardless and he wouldn't have let me anywhere near the car if he didnt think it was safe to do so.

Edited by m3gtr

Would you like to see a video, Ken?

Yes pleaze... Think the boys would love to see a vid too.. Not so much saying its all untrue.. Just cant believe someone would feel so little shame.. :banana:

Speaking of vids..

Yep as soon as ive cut and edited the video i will post a linkey poo, just for you Ken, seeing as you would probably be the only person who doesnt believe me. I dont doubt you really. Going from driving a shitty beat up colt to having a friend who let me drive the R35 is a heck of a change, wouldnt you say?

Oh and one more little side note. If I was on the wrong side of what i should or should not have been doing in the car, why is it that weve arranged to go for another spin next week? I suppose the bridge isnt burnt after all. :banana:

Yep as soon as ive cut and edited the video i will post a linkey poo, just for you Ken, seeing as you would probably be the only person who doesnt believe me. I dont doubt you really. Going from driving a shitty beat up colt to having a friend who let me drive the R35 is a heck of a change, wouldnt you say?

Yeah youre right Adam. Im happy for you. :banana:

Let that be a lesson boys and girls... If you want something and cant get it, find someone who does and use it! Dont steal.

Now where is Part 4?? Im dying here....

mate does it sound any good in real life? from all the vids ive seen it sounds like a magna when its being revved - is it at least mean sounding or is it all muted and "refined"

Kens vids should clear up the engine note question for you.

Lucky bastard people who dont belive you are just jealous they dont know anyone that is driving a R35GTR, do you mind me asking what does your friend do as an occupation ? the reason i ask this is isnt GTR selling for around 7-8 million yen that would be rougly around 70-80 grand here thats alot of money

Yeah youre right Adam. Im happy for you. :banana:

Let that be a lesson boys and girls... If you want something and cant get it, find someone who does and use it! Dont steal.

Now where is Part 4?? Im dying here....

You wouldnt even begin to understand, Ken and trying to paint my intentions in a bad light is misguided at best.

I seem to remember your GTR was off the chain quick. That was a good experience for me and the first time id been in a GTR. Cheers for that memory.

We had fun. Dinner was great, Koichis a nice bloke. Gtr's an awesome car. Wheres the argument here?

Edited by m3gtr

Lucky bastard people who dont belive you are just jealous they dont know anyone that is driving a R35GTR, do you mind me asking what does your friend do as an occupation ? the reason i ask this is isnt GTR selling for around 7-8 million yen that would be rougly around 70-80 grand here thats alot of money

Hes a plastic surgeon. Does a lot of work with nose augmentation and reduction, breast enlargement and *gasp* for 600,000 you can even have your...you know...made a couple of inches longer.

The haters must have known me in a previous life and hate for hatings sake. Dont let it bother you.

(a) its not your car

wtf were you coming from, the cars built for bashing, you get offered a drive you'd be a cock not to accept it.

We were at 65kph and the tractable motor was reading 6th gear and pulling a little over 2000 rpm on the dash readout. It really does city driving with ease.

I don't think so dude 6th gear 65kph and just over 2000 RPM? It doesn't ad up .....