SAU Community

Insurance Question

AlexR34

Hi Guys,

Just have a quick question i did a vcheck on a vehicle im interested and this information came back in the accident section:

Write-off: ECONOMIC REPAIRABLE - PASSED WOVI

- Inspection Date: 15/06/2005

- Type: IMPACT DAMAGE

- State recorded: QUEENSLAND

What is a economic repariable - passed wovi lol because i dont really care if the vehicle had like it front bumper changed. So yeah let me know doods. If I should still be looking at buying this vehicle with that information.

Cheers,

Aleks

Written off because the repairs would have cost more than economically feasible. I.e. it could have been repaired, but it was cheaper for the insurance company to write the car off and replace it. The rough rule is > 1/2 the value of the car in one accident. Something like that. Easy enough to do on an import where parts have to come from Japan etc and are hard to find.

That's my best guess.

Written off because the repairs would have cost more than economically feasible. I.e. it could have been repaired, but it was cheaper for the insurance company to write the car off and replace it. The rough rule is > 1/2 the value of the car in one accident. Something like that. Easy enough to do on an import where parts have to come from Japan etc and are hard to find.

That's my best guess.

Crap thats alot of damage i shell steeeer away lol. And its not an import.

To be a write off the value of damage has to exceed 70% of the cars insured value, some companies will repair up to close to full insured value... If it was 50% it would have been repaired in most cases. If you had to fork out the cash would you repair 70% of the car or pay 100% of value for a new one? Still saving 30% if repairing...

To be a write off the value of damage has to exceed 70% of the cars insured value, some companies will repair up to close to full insured value... If it was 50% it would have been repaired in most cases. If you had to fork out the cash would you repair 70% of the car or pay 100% of value for a new one? Still saving 30% if repairing...

Good Point. I'm just staying away from this sale.

hey id just say try and find out more on the details of repair.. because something to consider is that if it has been repaired and is now for sale you may find that it has been repaired with new parts therefor the car can almost be like new.. as eg. my uncle crashed his ss commy a few years ago and they initially said its going to be a write off but then decided to fix it and they literally replaced everything with new parts, so considering that his car at the time of accident had something like 70,000k on the clock having everything replaced with new bits basically gave him a new car..

anyways not saying its for sure but just something to consider.. obviously be very careful, but as is the same with any purchase of a used vehicle..

my 2c

Corey

steer very clear..

remember that when you go to sell in a few years time it the potential buyers have access to this same information and you will have a tough time selling it

Thank you for pointing out the main reason why I care that it has the history.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do it from the carsales website or from the vcheck site itself. You provide the vin and pay watever option you selected and it spits out the rest lol.

Here are the links for those interested:

https://www.autocheck.com.au/

The carsales link is being a douch bag but its the same thing anyways.