SAU Community

Garrett Gt2860r-5 Turbo Upgrade - Oil And Water Lines

str00th

Hey All,

I been searching like all hell for info on braided oil and water lines for my turbo upgrade.

I just purchased two Garrett 2860R-5's and in the process of upgrading i want to do all braided lines while im at it.

The engine is on the stand atm so its not a big issue to get the lengths etc right.

Have any of you done braided lines on a low mount turbo upgrade?

Where do i get the threaded flange to the block? and the Threaded flange to the oil drain on the turbo?

Sorry if this has already been covered in million posts but i honestly searched and didnt find much.

advice on who to go to, what to get, how much you paid would be awesome.

cheers

Racespec do the threaded oil drain adapters, the rest you just use off the shelf speedflow, proflow, russell, earls fittings etc

To me its not worth the effort as ive NEVER had isuses withthe factory gear. Once i move the turbos from factory position i always make my own lines up though.

hey sorry cant help about braided lines, but i have just purchased also those turbos, running stock internals, 770cc injectors, nismo fuel pump, elctronic boostcontroller, power fc, pod filters, cam gears, dump pipes, exhaust etc, etc....just interested what power figure you are aiming for etc.......cheers robbie

Pretty sure the easiest would be to call Pirtek or Enzed. They'll send a van around and make up custom lines for you on the spot.

Not sure about the cost though!

hey sorry cant help about braided lines, but i have just purchased also those turbos, running stock internals, 770cc injectors, nismo fuel pump, elctronic boostcontroller, power fc, pod filters, cam gears, dump pipes, exhaust etc, etc....just interested what power figure you are aiming for etc.......cheers robbie

hey mate Ive just covered a thred on these turbos to see if anyone knew wot sorta KW I would get I have very simular mods to and was told bout 300-325kw @ 16-17psi

Edited by boosted_32

Pretty sure the easiest would be to call Pirtek or Enzed. They'll send a van around and make up custom lines for you on the spot.

Not sure about the cost though!

PIRTEK can get pretty expensive if you get them to come out to you, if you can measure them up yourself and go to the pirtek shop near you and get the lines made up there, will save you a bucket load of cash. we use them at work and we used to get them to come out to us, you easily save a couple of hundred by measuring yourself

good luck

So you don't think its worth getting braided lines to the turbos while I'm at it? just leave the stock lines?

The money isnt really the issue, i was just after reliability more then anything. You say you NEVER have problems with the stock lines etc then i guess there is no need to upgrade?

Robbie, in regards to power i aim between 300-400 RWKW. Engine is still on the stand and much work left to be done so i have to wait and see what it produces down the track.

So you don't think its worth getting braided lines to the turbos while I'm at it? just leave the stock lines?

The money isnt really the issue, i was just after reliability more then anything. You say you NEVER have problems with the stock lines etc then i guess there is no need to upgrade?

Robbie, in regards to power i aim between 300-400 RWKW. Engine is still on the stand and much work left to be done so i have to wait and see what it produces down the track.

hey cool thanks, just a bit worried, my tuner is aiming for about 380kwaw (rolling dyno), with standard internals, 170ks on the engine, hes a real well known tuner, i think from reading all the feedback i should be aiming for about 320

Edited by donkey

hey mate Ive just covered a thred on these turbos to see if anyone knew wot sorta KW I would get I have very simular mods to and was told bout 300-325kw @ 16-17psi

oh cool thanks alot

yep , like trent said, we are also running the standard oil/water lines, & we have had only one failure but that was due to us mis handling an oil pipe and we cracked it.

never ever been an issue( just make sure you look after them)

you'll find basically everyone running low mounts is using the factory lines

nothing wrong with them

And for good reason. The speedflow rubber/stainless steel re-enforced braided hose detoriates with the heat. It will last a little while but in time the rubber hardens then it will begin to sweat coolant and finally leak. The factory ones are far more reliable than any custom or after-market plumbing. Teflon braided is the only alternative that will handle the heat.

i've used teflon 200 series braided line but only because i've used an RB30 block and the height difference makes using the stock stuff impractical. it was an abosolute pain in the a$$ doing it in the car.

absolutely use the stock lines if you can, there is some very remote risk that they can crack from vibration but make sure you use all of the the stock bits and this simply shouldn't happen. if you want to be really safe, get new lines from nissan.