SAU Community

Mark And Russ's Super R34 Build Up

giant

hey guys

as soon as there is something interesting to post i will put it up! not much happening right now! work work work is all

and yes the help from hi octane has been great!

sandblast the 34 shell and then cage it is next, should be done by end of march. about the same time the body kit arrives,

cheers russ

Edited by giant

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks liam! yeah looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Dunc are the rules changing for sports sedans? i heard they other day there all sorts of new rules(freedoms) on bodywork and things? flat floors , guards etc

ooer first I've heard of it, imagine sports sedans coming into the 90s at last. I might follow up with the guys down here, I have been working to the current published regs (released about nov 06 by the look of it because they talk about changes in 07 to be confirmed)

yeah one of the guys i work with said he went to a meeting last week & they were talking aboutthose things, whether that was just for queensland or not , i am not sure but i doubt it would be?

thanks liam! yeah looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Dunc are the rules changing for sports sedans? i heard they other day there all sorts of new rules(freedoms) on bodywork and things? flat floors , guards etc

I believe they were opening up the rules a little regarding aero options for new cars, and the full body cars to encourage people to build something new rather then continue with older cars.

Problem with flat floors etc is heat dispersion from the engine bay, and heat buildup in transmissions and differentials.

Lots and lots of thought would need to be put into your cars underneath before you start laying any panels up under there.

I ran mine for around 6 meetings or so then remembered to check gbox oil and she was black by then. No road use at all, just track use for a few hundred competitive kilometres. Take some or all of the airflow away and she'll be in trouble real fast. Then you'll need to start with oil pumps, oil coolers etc just to keep it alive for one meeting

If I remember correctly, the older cars could add things like diffusers under the body but if they did they had to make additional changes to intrusion aspects etc on the cars which were hefty weight-wise. There was some sort of trade-off involved to penalise them. Updated safety requirements etc for the older cars. If they left them alone they could continue to run them as they were but the result was new cars could run the extra aero and therefore potentially run faster.

The Sports Sedan category is a pretty poorly attended field nation-wide which is sad. You think people would leap at the choice to run an all out balls to the wall car with almost no restrictions.

I believe there may also be a problem soon with 4WD sports sedans too. Noise is coming from the 2WD V8 Brigade about them so there may be an alteration to the regs regarding them before long. Best to check any 4WD regulations before you start otherwise you might strike a problem when it comes to logbook time.

well despite building a sports sedan I've got no intention of racing it - to get to the front of that field requires more money than a supercar, I'm not interested in running around as tail end charlie.

I'm not aware of any 4wds racing in NSW yet so I am not sure why they would be too concerned?

Well the information came from a Victorian member who was involved with the building of an R32 GTR but I believe its being fitted out with RWD format only in anticipation of the rule alterations. He currently runs a sexy ass Toyota as a Sports Sedan and is involved with the rulings down there I believe.

In my opinion, why not race the car in Sports Sedans if the opportunity arises? OK, you won't win but at least you get to drive the car for fun. My lap times were a couple of seconds off the leading pace of our state SS contenders at QR but it was fun driving around them on the straights and making them frown lol

My car was heavier, had smaller brakes and waaay smaller tyres so I couldn't hope to take it up to them if they were running well but it was fun when they weren't and I made them pay.

I don't understand it when people say they aren't going to race because they won't win. I mean, there's always someone faster, or bigger or cooler. The fun is in the doing when it boils down to it, yes?

hey each to their own. my background is single make racing where all cars are within say a second of each other. to me, when the cars are so different and spaced out on the track it is more like open practice or a super sprint. to me racing is having to line someone up for 8 corners in a row and get every one perfect to get past them. passing in those sort of conditions is a real art and a hard skill to learn.

even in production cars I've never diced with a car for more than 3 laps, they are just too different and sooner or later the quickest car (not driver) wins.

We're off topic, but I think you've mis-read my meaning.

I was saying why have a car and not take every opportunity to drive it?

Battling for corner after corner is good, but so is sheer outright screaming speed at a corner. You're greatest challenger is usually yourself :thumbsup: Beating your own best time is always satisfying as much as is beating someone else

just thought would post up this vid willo sent me?(thanks mate)

if your bored!!

just playing around at paul's timeattack day in a motorkhana he setup, this was my second run, not reving at all just learning the course, the next run was with some revs! :blink: good fun tho

Dammit Russ, I was 10 seconds faster than the next quickest car until you turned up. BASTARD!!! :thumbsup: Took another 8 seconds off me.

Stupid Toyota...the tough Toyota you refer to down here in Vic...is that the 80s Soarer thatsw running around with largely steel body etc (think it had AVO support at one time) ? Its the only car i can think of...he is going GTR :thumbsup:

Stupid Toyota...the tough Toyota you refer to down here in Vic...is that the 80s Soarer thatsw running around with largely steel body etc (think it had AVO support at one time) ? Its the only car i can think of...he is going GTR :D

Thats the guy :( He's working on a GTR for sure, but it's not going to be AWD apparently

The car he has currently is an MZ20 Soarer with 7MGTE 3ltr turbo.

I "think" he has a couple of CF parts on it, with a race weight of around 1250kg plus driver.

well not much to add, been busy with work but parts are arriving and the sheel has gone for preparation work ,

so i wont see it back for about a month! :(

post-17546-1204864487_thumb.jpg

hmmm I dunno. :( lol but whichever dumb ass it belongs to it's sure going to be full when you consider that what's in there is less than half it's payload.

I'll try and get some pics of the sunline boxes too.