Mark And Russ's Super R34 Build Up

giant

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before and what it looked like about 10 seconds later...

It's a part of racing, just like blowing motors and paying for tyres. It ain't cheap but those hooked still can't seem stop doing it.

post-495-1212098685_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212098715_thumb.jpg

I had one of the photos when we went to see it when it was in the compound with eric bana's car.

and you were hanging out the window, getting the godzilla doll out, and you could see the profile of the roof around the cage - can't seem to find it.

Im sure duncan has it.

second car in the vid (white evo 6) in tassie

I remember Stewart's car, was the first Evo 6 I'd seen back then and was immaculate just before the Saturday morning Super Special Stage... we'd just arrived at the spectator point and fark she was on!

Before and what it looked like about 10 seconds later...

It's a part of racing, just like blowing motors and paying for tyres. It ain't cheap but those hooked still can't seem stop doing it.

so true mate

ahh thats right i remember seeing some pics of that, a lot of hard work in those photo's right there!!

yep stewarts first rally car was a brand new evo 3 , and didnt even make it to the first round before it was a write off!! had an accident on the way to the rally.!!

i had spent many hours on that car , :D

Edited by giant

Ok, some cage photos as promissed. Basically finished now, need to add tabs up and down the A pillar and main hoop and finish off some welding, but otherwise there.

These are rushed photos taken at dusk, so the colours are a bit funny, making everything look a bit rusty.

Stuff through the firewall is an absolute bitch. Took nearly 2 days to finish it all off.

You can see in one of the pics what we did with the rear cradle mount. Nothing too hard but should help. Spread a plate across the mount tack welds. Only thing that could have been better would be to cut the floor and weld direcltly to the mount, which just seemed like too much work for little reward.

Still considering a second bar across the A pillars in the front with the steering column between them.

Last photo is one from the old car showing the roof rolled around the roll cage. I looks bent, but it's just the angle, it's not bent at all.

post-495-1212135618_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212135788_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212135823_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212135896_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212135924_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212136115_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212136226_thumb.jpg

post-495-1212136470_thumb.jpg

hey mark looks bloody good & strong! i like what you did with the middle bars thru the front firewall going to be heaps of strength there!!

and the rear brace will really help too, i love seeing them like this watching them take shape! :P i like the door mods too!!

we have run the gtr on slicks for about 2 dozen laps total and i am amazed at where the car is moving

Hey those door mods are top quality :wave: We did those about a year ago, long before finding the joys of a plasma cutter. Fortunately, I have some nicely guilotined aluminium skins which hide all evils. Seriously though, I reckon the doors would be no more than 4-5kgs now (and flimsy as hell!)

i feel a bit shagged though, as i went and did a heap of mowing out at lakeside raceway today to help clean the track up.!! bloody hot and burnt

they are in for lots of trouble when it opens back up, as someone complained from a house near by the moment a motorbike went around the track! and it was a bloody quiet bike doing no more than 60!!

I was afraid of that. I've been keeping an eye on the progress through various threads (as i live in Sydney but would love to see it resurrected so i can drive it!) and didn't think they'd get off lightly. There's always someone to complain...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Russ, has the R32 been run on the qtr mile since the last round of mods for Japan in December? I wonder how much you could shave off the 10.2 with the lighter weight, more power and some more appropriate rubber?

Its a real shame this car is not going to be ready for our event in July

yeah but it will be worth the wait. :P mark and russ picked up all the aero gear + widebody from my place the other day and the quality of the bits is out of sight. I think the bits we chose will all work very nicely together. I know mark is cracking on with it as quick as he can, but waiting on parts etc tends to add to the timeframe a bit.

I really can't wait to see the finished product. most serious circuit 34 in oz hands down.

mark is into as we speak! alot of body modifying going on so very slow progress at the moment & the weekends are so busy getting ready for maryborough sprints the weekend before superlap then superlap !!

hope to put some decent photos together soon to show the bits , i cant wait to see it come together it will be awsome no doubt! every body panel is carbon except the roof and front bar!! :P

the quality of the parts body parts from japan are sensational very little needs to be done to them,

yep, off the top of my head they have: carbon bar, undertray and carnards, carbon front guards, carbon side skirts, carbon rear guards, carbon doors, carbon boot, carbon wing, carbon dash, carbon bonnet and carbon mirrors. actually the front bar is FRP but still very light.

It is going to look so nice when it's done. It will be interesting to see what it weighs. I'm tipping under 1300kg. maybe as low as 1200.