SAU Community

Going R32 Gtr Shopping, Need Some Advice...

omega36

Hi Guys,

I'm really busy at work, and today is the first day that I can actually head out and have a look at some GTRs...

As a first time GTR buyer, can someone (1) please advise on the obvious things that I should be looking for when purchasing this car? (2)What questions should I be asking about the history of the car?

Also, (3)how does registration work on a vehicle, is that simply transferred to the new owner if there's any time left on the registration? And (4)say it has a RWC, what do I do whenver I make some modification, such as uprated turbos, new FMIC, etc? So long as it's road legal, is it all good?

(5) Also in terms of financing the vehicle, what is the best option? Broad question I guess, but say I have a $20,000 loan from Westpac, as the car is imported privately, they cannot secure it against the loan - this sort of sucks. Does anyone know what institutions do?

Based on no security, for a 5-year repayment, including ALL sundry fees, the total repaid would be $27,950.00 - does this sound right? Does anyone know off-hand someone who could beat this?

(6) Insurance. On a 1993 R32 GT-R, driving 4 years, no demerits, no license suspension, no accident history and unfortunately no insurance history (in Australia) I have been quoted $1,695.00 per annum from JustCar Insurance for comprehensive, fire & theft. A quote from RACV was in the region of $3,300.00 for the same. Is this all good? I assume so, it seems like a good deal.

Very excited about owning one of these machines, and in time you will be seeing me on the track on track days! ;)

Anyway, I really appreciate your help answering a fellow (soon-to-be) Skyline GTR owner.

Edited by nis0

If you want a mint grey R32 GTR with a really anal owner, with very fresh motor (didnt need a rebuild, just an anala owner) plenty of HKS gear (turbos) Tomei etc parts with Brembos and R34 GTR wheels then shoot me a PM. I think asking price is a little over 30k...its on my wich list but its exactly that, a wich list. Im stuck with my GTSt so will never has space for a GTR

Its one of those rare cars that is basically the condition of a 2 year old car, so doesnt have all the things you need to worry about when buying an R32 GTR

If you want a mint grey R32 GTR with a really anal owner, with very fresh motor (didnt need a rebuild, just an anala owner) plenty of HKS gear (turbos) Tomei etc parts with Brembos and R34 GTR wheels then shoot me a PM. I think asking price is a little over 30k...its on my wich list but its exactly that, a wich list. Im stuck with my GTSt so will never has space for a GTR

Its one of those rare cars that is basically the condition of a 2 year old car, so doesnt have all the things you need to worry about when buying an R32 GTR

Would love to, but that's quite out of my price range unfortunately ;) That + loan repayments & insurance would get a bit much. Sounds really nice though!

where are you located?

if you dont know much about them ask some local from the club to come and check out the car with you

this has been done in the past and can be very effective - post up where you are, someone may come and help for a slab of beer or some grog etc

You must factor in the cost of things that WILL go wrong on a 15+ year old GTR. I wouldn't blow all the cash you borrow on just the car i would make sure i had some left over for any unfortunate things to happen.

I'd agree completely with this.. I brought mine (32 GT-R) 2 weeks ago and within a week, i've had to spend on the following.

Rego Transfer Fee - $30.50 plus $8 for every $200 value of the car, so a $16000 car would cost you $670.30 (calculator).

Airocn Re-Gas $120

Alarm + Install $390 (make sure you become an SAU member, good discount on alarm install).

Blown Radiator hose $80 (top and bottom silicone hoses)

Wheel balance $??? not got this done yet, but it threw a balance weight within the first week, vibration above 100k's.

So that's already $1260 or more on top of the purchase price. As with any new car i'm going to get it serviced quite soon, you have no idea of really knowing when the last one was done, even if the previous owner says it's just had a service. From what I understand, a service can cost around $1K depending on what needs doing (hope mine doesn't need cam belt etc).

My advise would be take the car to a workshop who knows GTR's and get an inspection done prior to handing over any cash. I would rate this higher than say an RACV check. But if that's the only option then go with the full RACV check.

Would love to, but that's quite out of my price range unfortunately :thumbsup: That + loan repayments & insurance would get a bit much. Sounds really nice though!

If you cant afford a 30K GTR. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stress this enough

Dont just look at the purchase price as your limit. Set your limit on what you have to spend and allow 10k for 'things to go wrong' over the next year.

Seriously dude. Your better off buying a 10k GTST than a 20k GTR

**(5) Also in terms of financing the vehicle, what is the best option? Broad question I guess, but say I have a $20,000 loan from Westpac, as the car is imported privately, they cannot secure it against the loan - this sort of sucks. Does anyone know what institutions do?

Based on no security, for a 5-year repayment, including ALL sundry fees, the total repaid would be $27,950.00 - does this sound right? Does anyone know off-hand someone who could beat this?""**

I borrowed, $20,000 also, and i will be paying back $27k aswell so that part is roughly correct (i borrowed from Commbank), difference being i boought a '97 R33 GTS4, althogh the car cost me only $13,600 i also paid 2k for insurance (first car,no driving history), $1400 for ICE plus alarm, $500 for custom plates. After getting the car i spent over $1000 in the first month just on fuel not counting all the going out i did when i was driving. So although $20k might be enough just for the car it probly wont be for all the other expenses that will come with it.

Seriously dude. Your better off buying a 10k GTST than a 20k GTR

so true. especially if it's on a loan.

my advice, buy a shitter, save up and then get your gt-r. Loans are the biggest waste of money.

But in the end it's your money (or really it's the banks) and what you do with it is up to you.

But good luck mate.

hey mate,

i was in the same position as you when i rode off my 33. i was looking for a while at r32gtr but prob i found was that the age of the car was the main problem factor when checking them over. alot of them were a ruff drive, in most cases, if i had bought a gtr, all the bushes in the suspension would need to b changed, the shosks re-gassed just to improve ride quality, and the engines werent the prettiest thing i would have seen around.

my advice is if u cant aford to spend around 25k for a clean gt-r that has had a recent rebuild, has aftermarket suspension, and minor mods to inprove drivablility, dont buy 1. i looked at heaps around 16-20k and they were all shit.

instead of spending 20k on a 15-18yr old 32 gtr, i spent 21k on a '00' r34gtt. since having the 34 i have found the ride to be awesome in comparison to heaps of the gtr's i test drove and had inspected by my mechanic.

if ur gettin a loan to buy your car, i would suggest a 33gtst, minor mods, and away you go with about 13-16k.

if your prepared to buy a 33 in good nick that is stock, let me know. i know a dealer that we'll be able to do you a good price. let me know.

mate if you really want a gtr it can be done, i bought my r32 gtr on apprentice wages,

i went through all the troubles of frying the clutch in the first 3 days, the gear box letting go, blowing the front diff ect..

and i was only on 350 a week and then jumped up 470 for my last year

but its not easy

Ail-Turko that must be hard, I was the same about 450 a week JUST scraping past to pay for GTR maintance. lol

As to nis0, there are a few things to look out for when buying a GTR, you planing to import one private or through a dealer?

Best pay a bit more upfront for a decent one or you be spending half the amount of what you bough on fixing.

Any questions just Private Message me

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

nis0 the best thing to do would be to have somebody that knows GTR's to have a look. Paul has a great suggestion. post up where abouts you live and see if anybody from the forum lives near you. i'm out the south east melb and would be quite happy to look at a couple with ya. in the 1st year of owning my car i spend around 10k and the 2nd year another 20k. They arnt cheap to buy but they are more expensive to own.

As for insurance, with just car you can increase your excess to lower your cover. not recommended if you dont have much experience as for example, if i crash and its my fault, $500 excess + $1500 for a plus vehicle + the 'ad-just' excess (lowers my premium) $1100. =$3100 if my car gets stolen, even though its fitted with a kickarse alarm and immobiliser you can add another $1000 to that so =$4100. I am over 25 so i get to save on my age excess which i think is around $500 or $600 more.

The adjust excess is an option you dont hafta take but it knocked 500 off my yearly insurance and i do tent to drive like an old man when im on the road.

my 2c, if you can only afford the 20k you got from the bank, and really want a skyline, get something under 15k cos your gonna need that spare cash up your sleeve.

What i would suggest is not to get a loan for an r32 GTR, something is bound to break and then you are stuck with a car you cant use, whilst paying repayments every month, and then also paying to get the thing fixed.

instead of spending 20k on a 15-18yr old 32 gtr, i spent 21k on a '00' r34gtt. since having the 34 i have found the ride to be awesome in comparison to heaps of the gtr's i test drove and had inspected by my mechanic.

Horses for courses.

GTR= Performance.

GT-T= Newer car.

Re buying an R32 GTR, as many have suggested, spend the extra money for one in excellent condition.

I wouldn't get a loan for one, you need cash and you need constant cash flow to keep the car running.

GT-T or GTST would be a better option, cheaper to maintain and run. Costs less if they break too.

I would advise against a GTR. Buy an R33 GTST or R34 GTT. GTR's are damn expensive to drive and maintain as everyone here has pointed out. Even GTST's arent that cheap. If you are loaning the whole amount for the car, its probably a bad idea to go with an old GTR. A R34 GTT would be a much better option.

Edited by DogKnight

Same advice from me as from everyone else.

A 32 GTR will cost you alot more than you (appear) to be able to pay. Have a look at some nice GTST's or GTT's. R33 Gtst's are such good value for money now its not funny!! Same with R34 GTT's.

• 2 weeks later...

i fried my clutch in the first week

but it was pretty shot when i bought the car

has been ok generally

however i have only had it for a month or so :D

keep an eye out for chipped up intake plenums?? not a good sign :(